DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Biggest Challenge with DSLRs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/528826-biggest-challenge-dslrs.html)

Pete Cofrancesco July 11th, 2015 05:49 AM

Re: Biggest Challenge with DSLRs

I'm dslr novice so I went with d70 for it's ability to auto focus well. There are various techniques to deal with focus. For example there's an old photographer trick for wedding processions, you set manual focus for a set distance allowing you to get each person walking towards you in focus when they enter that zone. It also helps if you have safety wide camera you can cut to.

I also think the greater dof of apc micro 4/3 over full frame sensors is helpful.

Peter Rush July 13th, 2015 05:28 AM

Biggest challenge - trying to see the LCD display in sunlight when getting exteriors using a tripod/slider - I have to redo the shots several times with different exposure settings to make sure I get a good one. I need to look at getting some sort of hood, but one that I can put on and take off easily and quickly as I would only use it for these shots - I use the EVF for everything else.

Also I hate that you can hear the clicking of the shutter/iris/exposure compensation rings through the mic - even the Rode videomic that sits in a rubber cradle - the sound still gets through.

Chris Harding July 13th, 2015 07:47 AM

With a big video camera on a tripod you can swing the EVF up vertically so with LCD's being able to tilt now days, surely one could fabricate a simple viewing tube (just like the EA-50 tube, Pete) so you could swing the LCD so it faces upwards and have the loupe tube on the LCD ??? I have a Hoodman loupe that is normally used with Sony EX1 LCD's and straps over the LCD ....that would be heaps easier to use when the cam is on a tripod even if you have to extend the loupe a bit ... I used the same on my Panasonic AC-130's and made the loupe longer by fabricating an extension box made of 5mm black foam board joined with a hot glue gun ...I'm thinking of using it on my FZ1000 when it's on a tripod so it extends vertically and the LCD will be quite visible even in the sun.

Robert Benda July 13th, 2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1892191)
Biggest challenge - trying to see the LCD display in sunlight when getting exteriors using a tripod/slider - I have to redo the shots several times with different exposure settings to make sure I get a good one. I need to look at getting some sort of hood, but one that I can put on and take off easily and quickly as I would only use it for these shots - I use the EVF for everything else.

Also I hate that you can hear the clicking of the shutter/iris/exposure compensation rings through the mic - even the Rode videomic that sits in a rubber cradle - the sound still gets through.

A hood is great. In a jam, tape together 4 credit cards (into a square). Ta Da!

I just had an outdoor and trusted to the metering since there wasn't anything to ruin the readings, like a sunny lake background. My only trouble was really with the cloud cover coming and going.

Pete Cofrancesco July 13th, 2015 06:21 PM

I wouldn't jerry rig a hood they aren't expensive. I got a Neewer for $14
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q4I...aSL&ref=plSrch

While this style hood keeps the sun off it still yields only modest results because lcds are so reflective even indirect light will still make it difficult to see. The only thing to eliminate all reflections is eye piece loop style hood which won't work for application that you can't have your face up against the camera like on a slider.

Chris Harding July 13th, 2015 08:31 PM

Hi Pete

At least with a loupe you can frame the shot on a slider before you actually push the button ...on tripods where the camera is static it's simple to use and you can check the footage from time to time without upsetting anything ..if it's an outdoor wedding with the sun high in the sky a hood is useless and the light will pour in .. I have a bigger rubber eye cup on my EVF which works fine as long as the tripod is at normal height but with a low level shot you need a loupe that works much like an ENG camera viewfinder and can swing up vertically!

I have also made a neat LCD hood out of black foam board and a glue gun ...the advantage is that it's feather light so it won't put any excess weight on the LCD hinge!!

Peter Rush July 14th, 2015 01:16 AM

I always have a SmallHD monitor in my case that I use for GoPro stuff so I could stick that on the hot shoe for my tripod shots - I have a hood for that - for slider shots however I'm pushing the weight on my Manfrotto head as it is - adding any more will cause tilting at the extremes. A little clip-on hood would be ideal - something like this seems to have little side clips but it's for another model.

LCD Viewfinder Hood - SHL1AM Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

Joe Riggs August 27th, 2015 02:47 PM

I'm trying to figure out just a quick way to at least remember which way to turn the focus ring, so the odds of getting in focus are better.

So if a subject is coming towards you, like the Bride turning the procession, do you turn the focus ring to the left or right? This is on Canon lenses.

Dave Baker August 27th, 2015 11:50 PM

On Canon lenses left is infinity, right is close focus, so you need to turn the focus ring to the right..

AFAIK only Nikon go the opposite way.

Dave

Chris Harding August 28th, 2015 01:02 AM

Hi Dave

Sigma lenses (Canon or Nikon mount ) go one way and then Tamron go the opposite way .. I have both and it's frustrating!!

Dave Baker August 28th, 2015 03:00 AM

Hi Chris,

I guess I should have said Nikon or Nikon pattern, I assume Tamron lenses are made with Nikon users in mind.

When I was looking at short zooms for my 60D, the two I preferred were the Sigma and Tamron 17-50. I went Sigma simply because the lens rings went the right way for me. I could see me getting well confused otherwise!

Dave

Nigel Barker August 28th, 2015 04:07 AM

Using a Panasonic MicroFourThirds with a 'fly by wire' lens you can be set either the Canon way or the Nikon (wrong:-) way.

Chris Harding August 28th, 2015 05:00 AM

Hey Dave

Tamron make Canon mounts too .. I wonder if those rings work back to front too???

Noa Put August 28th, 2015 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1896356)
Using a Panasonic MicroFourThirds with a 'fly by wire' lens you can be set either the Canon way or the Nikon (wrong:-) way.

Can you change the focus direction on a gh3 or4?

Nigel Barker August 28th, 2015 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1896366)
Can you change the focus direction on a gh3 or4?

Sorry it seems that I mis-remembered from when I was shooting with a Panasonic G6 & a couple of Olympus OM-Ds. I just did a quick Google & it seems that it's the Olympus that has the setup option to reverse the focus direction.