DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   A Cheap shoulder mounted cam needed. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/528866-cheap-shoulder-mounted-cam-needed.html)

Dave Baker June 26th, 2015 09:24 AM

Re: A Cheap shoulder mounted cam needed.

I hear you Roger. I just thought with a QR plate you could get almost instantaneous on and off the rig.

Dave

Roger Gunkel June 26th, 2015 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1890673)
Back when I used £900 handycams like the Panasonic TM900, I use to feel a little self conscious with my equipment, but never with the GH4, GH3 and GH2s. I've invested so much money in this equipment including lenses, tripods, monopods etc; insecurity over equipment choice is now a thing of the past. I don't like buying just to pander to clients ignorance on what makes good video.
That said, buying because of better functionality makes perfect sense. I've thought about selling my AF101a for another GH4 from abroad so would lack the clip limit. However the AF101 can be very useful for certain Corporate jobs. Long battery life, dual card slot, audio inputs; makes it much more convenient for filming where picture quality isn't the primary concern, but being able to film non stop for long 3 hour sessions is.

One thing I don't feel ever, is self conscious about using small cameras as I like not being noticed and working very quickly. That said, the reason for quite liking the idea of a shoulder mounted camera, is the ease of holding it steady on the shoulder, but also being able to instantly move to a low level shot, and use the top sub buttons for start/stop and zoom, while supporting it with the top handle. They are things that are much more difficult to get stable with DSLRs and small video cams. I also like the long battery life and continuous recording on both the Sony and the Panasonic together with the twin recording facility for safety. There is also room on both for extra mic, receiver etc and good balance on the cameras.

What seems to put many people off the cameras, is that it is easy to compare them with similar sized high end cameras. However both the Panny and Sony cams use current technology and facilities that are available on smaller cameras, so there is no particular reason why they should be inferior in image quality to other smaller cameras in the same price range.

I certainly wouldn't buy one to impress people, but a spinoff from a bigger camera is that some people make assumptions that they are getting more for their money than when you turn up with something that looks to them like their own camera. In some environments, that may be a secondary advantage.

For me though, I would like to see if I would get comparable image quality to other current smaller cams and to run alongside, rather than replace my existing cams for different situations.

There must be members on these forums that are actually using one or other of these cameras, rather than comparing them with older versions, so it would be interesting to hear from them as well.

Roger
I

Roger Gunkel June 26th, 2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Baker (Post 1890690)
I hear you Roger. I just thought with a QR plate you could get almost instantaneous on and off the rig.

Dave

That makes perfect sense Dave if you want to do a lot of work with the rig, but I also like to use a lightweight tripod and I do feel that a rig would either have to stay on me if I take the camera off, whereas a shoulder cam cam be instantly attached to the tripod without the bother of what to do with the rig. I would add that I have never used a rig, so I am only speculating, so your points add interesting input.

Roger

Dave Baker June 26th, 2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1890694)
........without the bother of what to do with the rig.

What doesn't get mentioned in the videos is the safety strap that comes with it. With a little practice, I just tried it for the first time a minute ago, it is easy to remove the camera and swing the rig behind you so it hangs at your back, from your shoulder.

I'll quickly describe it so you can work out if it's something you would be prepared to try. I'm right handed, so the rig hooks over my right shoulder. I put my right arm and head through the strap, so both hands were free to operate the camera. I removed (well, ok, I pretended to since I didn't put one on) the camera and pushed the rig round, under my right arm and up my back out of the way. I didn't bother, but a quick tweak of the locking knob and it would have folded up as well.

Dave

Roger Gunkel June 26th, 2015 11:11 AM

Thanks for that description Dave and I will be going over to Wex in Norwich at some point, so I will see what they have there as I have never tried one. As they say, 'Don't knock it if you haven't tried it'.

Roger

Chris Harding July 11th, 2015 07:00 PM

Hi Roger

I'm not sure if you did anything about getting a shoulder mount camera but I see that Global Media Pro are now listing the AS9000 camera at only a few hundred bucks more than the MDH2 ...Seems to have some neat extra features but still looks a bit of a big plastic box ... Dunno if the UK is listing them ?

Panasonic AG-AS9000 (AG-AS9000EN, AG-AS9000E) AVCHD Camcorder PAL

Roger Gunkel July 12th, 2015 02:48 AM

Hi Chris,

That looks identical to the AG-AC8, perhaps with a different designation for your part of the globe. The spec appears to be identical and I think is a more recent update of the MDH2.

I haven't made any moves yet as things are getting very busy at the moment, but the Sony MC2500 looks to be possibly a slightly better bet than the two Panasonics, although I have never been a Sony man.

Roger

Peter Rush July 12th, 2015 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1892107)
Hi Roger

I'm not sure if you did anything about getting a shoulder mount camera but I see that Global Media Pro are now listing the AS9000 camera at only a few hundred bucks more than the MDH2 ...Seems to have some neat extra features but still looks a bit of a big plastic box ... Dunno if the UK is listing them ?

Panasonic AG-AS9000 (AG-AS9000EN, AG-AS9000E) AVCHD Camcorder PAL

That looks like it might be front heavy Chris like our EA50 cams - "pro-style form factor that gives you added comfort and stability during long handheld shoots" - I doubt it

Chris Harding July 12th, 2015 03:19 AM

Hi Roger

Yep same model different number! I wouldn't even think about the Sony 2500 I've heard they are awful in low light and with all these cameras I honestly feel you would cry after using the FZ1000 ..they are true entry level cameras with VERY few settings ..you have manual or iA auto ..you cannot change ISO ...just iris and shutter ...even the Panny MDH2 will disappoint you!!

Pete? Actually no! I have tried one out (never owned one) and they are very light and a big hollow plastic box and a tiny 46mm diameter lens ..nothing like the EA-50 which is solid... the EVF is also TINY !! I don't think I could use one at all ..it probably tips the scales at a mere 2kg including the lens ..My Sigma lens alone was nearly 1kg!! It sadly looks like a toy and feels like a toy ... probably great for students learning video at school.. that's about all!!

Roger Gunkel July 12th, 2015 04:11 AM

You are probably right Chris, although it would be useful to find somewhere to actually try some of these cameras, not much chance of that though round here. It's on the back burner anyway at the moment as I intend to get another FZ1000 and my Landrover Freelander has just had to be replaced after needing a complete set of injectors that would cost as much as it is worth, to have them fitted. I just traded it in as is, but cost me a fair chunk of money to replace it :-(

Roger

Peter Rush July 12th, 2015 04:18 AM

Roger you might get a CVP.com rep to do a demo for you - I got one to Salford to show me the EA50 - They have offices at Brentford and Warwickshire. Less then 2 hours drive for you?

CVP.com

Roger Gunkel July 12th, 2015 06:50 AM

Warwickshire is about 2.5 -3 hours and the same for Brenford. Unfortunately where we are, there are no decent links to any of the main network roads, so A1 is about and hour, so is M11, just makes mileages that don't seem that far in distance take twice as long. Claire is filming a wedding in Warwickshire and will be staying overnight because of the journey time.

Roger

Chris Harding July 12th, 2015 07:44 AM

Hi Roger

A mate of mine over East has 2 x MDH2's and had a high lights clips up on Vimeo for evaluation and wanted to know how he could get better IQ and exposure and he gave me a link to the advanced manual. I think if you read the manual you would see that it's very very basic and I seriously don't think it would meet your expectations at all. PANASONIC HC-MDH2 PDF*MANUAL - Manuals - Instruction Manuals

I would run thru the manual first before doing any long drives to try it out ... control is way too basic for you!

Chris

Noa Put July 12th, 2015 08:36 AM

Why oh why do they make cheap shouldermount camera's like this to give it less features then your average smartphone with a videofunction.

Roger Gunkel July 12th, 2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1892139)
Hi Roger

A mate of mine over East has 2 x MDH2's and had a high lights clips up on Vimeo for evaluation and wanted to know how he could get better IQ and exposure and he gave me a link to the advanced manual. I think if you read the manual you would see that it's very very basic and I seriously don't think it would meet your expectations at all. PANASONIC HC-MDH2 PDF*MANUAL - Manuals - Instruction Manuals

I would run thru the manual first before doing any long drives to try it out ... control is way too basic for you!

Chris

I've already downloaded the manuals for the MDH2 and the AG-AC8 and the main difference seems to be that the AC8 has a more recent sensor, probably the same sensor as the Sony MC2500 which seems to have a much better viewfinder than the Pannys. All academic at the moment though as I am still experimenting with the FZ1000 and am also all spent out!

Roger