Wedding - color grade and shooting style at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 14th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Wedding - color grade and shooting style

A client of ours has fallen in love with this type of a color grade and shooting style -

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions achieving this type of a look and feel with C100 camera and using filmconvert? Do you think this is mostly shot hand-held or shoulder rig?

I have been playing around with filmconvert but I haven't nailed it down the color grade yet, any suggestions would be great.
Oleg Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Wedding - color grade and shooting style

Hand held and purposely filmed that way with little movements, a whole wedding film is off putting though, great for a trailer. Got to have up beat music.Film convert, get the preset right in camera then choose your preset in film convert, have grain at 50%, add color in the color wheels by tweaking. Add a little color to the whole thing overlay if needed in CS6 prem pro or whatever you use. Have gorgeous people to film with top clothes on...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Solo View Post
Do you think this is mostly shot hand-held or shoulder rig?
No, this was all steadicam, slider, crane and tripod shots...

I think the maker didn't even do anything to the footage, probably used a 5dIII with a standard profile, not sure if the c100 has colorpresets but if so any preset that's a bit heavy on contrast and saturation would do.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You do realise, of course, that in her eyes you will never be able to emulate someone else's style and look exactly. If that was me I would tell her to look at my style and previous clips and see if she likes my work ..but try to copy someone else's style ...no thanks! If you don't get it perfect then you are sunk!!

I would rather send her elsewhere than be told how I must make my video look ... if she loves that look so much why doesn't she go with the guy who shot that video in the first place?? Undoubtable money is the key factor and she want the work of a Master but is only willing to pay a fraction of the price.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #5
Trustee

I think it's perfectly reasonable for clients to give examples of the type of video they want. What are we talking here, editing and colour grading plays a big part. The video looks like it's been graded with one of the film convert presets, can't tell which one without seeing the original footage. However with a bit of experimenting, try each of the film presets till you get one close enough, then adapt accordingly.

As for shooting style, yes we all have one, but are we locked into it so much. Even in my Weddings, a video can be either romantic, funny, fast paced, relaxed depending on the day, the music selected, behaviour of the guests. That video doesn't quite conform to my style, but I could certainly deliver something similar, not identical. As long as the couple appreciate that, there's no reason not to accommodate their request.

Looking at the video, it looks like a mix of equipment was used. The key is to look at filming for 1-2 second shots, varying between close ups and wide angle. I'd go handheld for some stuff, only because it can give an energy and pace capturing with a tripod can lack. Use a stabiliser. Pick a fast, fun track to edit to and adapt your footage to the music.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The me this "style" looks very amateuristic, as if they gave the camera to someone in the family and said "just point and shoot", it might be that rough style that makes it so appealing to some people, reminds me a bit of the "blair witch project".
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #7
Trustee

It looks like the 5diii 6d film convert pro lost preset, but i agree with Chris, if you say it will look like this and it is not then you are in deep water, so make it clear i cannot get it exactly the same way...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Call me old fashioned but this looks to me remarkably like a piece of the fun footage that my son took on holiday with his mobile phone. It was lots of shaky very short shots, with an effect that he chose from his phone that looked just like the 'colour grading' on this one. This may well have taken someone a lot of time to do and cost a lot of money, but if people feel it's time for the pros to copy drunk mobile phone footage to get 'The Look' then it may well be time to hang up my boots!!

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:48 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Call me old fashioned
You're old fashioned!!!

Sorry, I'm such a child...

Personally I don't have a problem with it. It's not quite my style, but its fun, lively. Not to be taken seriously, like a Marryoke video but without the singing. Some couples prefer that, not all. Hardly an excuse to hang up your tripod as tastes vary and there's plenty of clients who'd frown if you gave them that video. Like photography there's a range of styles to please all customers. I enjoyed the video for its energy and sense of fun, even though my style differs from it.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

You are right of course Steve, but when people seriously ask how they can match it and what effects and looks they should use, I have to seriously resist the temptation to suggest they use their phone ;-)

Last weeks wedding was yet another one in a barn with old Apple boxes from the back of the shed draped in bits of sacking, old jam jars of every shape and size with flowers in, a couple of battered old suitcases for the wedding presents, and a motley collection of non matching old flowery plates and cups from the local boot fares. They paid a fortune for it and loved it.

What to I know.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #11
Trustee

If the client likes that footage, ask who did it and suggest that she contact them. Even if you do manage to emulate that look, it's not yours - why do it?
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:57 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hey Paul

I had much the same in December .. "Can you make my video look like this" .. I told her no, just contact the guy that did the shoot and book him ... she still booked me !!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hah - a few years ago I did a south Asian wedding and after filming for an entire evening (Mehndi) and full on wedding day I was presented a wedding video by the brother of the bride (the guy who booked me - it was his wedding video) and was told 'We'd like it to look like this one' I kid you not.

I edited it in my usual style, similar to the samples they had been shown - apart from the usual raft of change requests typical of this type of wedding, they were happy and tried to book me for another - I was busy for that date ;)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #14
New Boot

I like the varying degrees of comments and I know its definitely no right and wrong in terms of style.. ( What is the best color? ) There isnt a right answer.

This style is not what we normally do but I like the challenge. Doing the same thing over and over again is not that inspiring. We are meeting with the clients in a little bit to confirm things and that's when I want to make sure that they have a clear idea that this wouldnt really be possible for a longer type of an edit as you would simply get dizzy but for a 1-2 minute trailer that shows the couple/energy and vibe, its definitely doable.

I also have to agree that there is no reason that you shouldn't step outside of "your" style if that is what interests you.

I am sure most brides these days get their "inspiration" from pintrest and the like... so there isnt anything wrong to get inspired by something that you saw, as long as you make it your own. I guess making that clear to the clients is key, and not like we are planning to copy and specific shots or anything like that.. more just the vibe and feel.

Here is a little edit that I did from another wedding, I added some camera shake in after effects and tried to match the energy a bit...
Oleg Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I agree that the "capri" trailer has a nice energetic and vibrant feel to it but like you said, it is not something you want to watch for longer then 5 minutes. The editing part should be fairly easy, you just need to cut fast but what is more important is that you have a energetic couple/wedding, if that is missing it won't work.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques