DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Who is just doing a hightlight film and giving away raw footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529488-who-just-doing-hightlight-film-giving-away-raw-footage.html)

Jeff Cook August 24th, 2015 03:02 PM

Who is just doing a hightlight film and giving away raw footage?

Someone asked me the other day about shooting their wedding. I asked them what they wanted and they stated they wanted a hightlight video and raw footage. I normally hesitate giving away raw footage, but I like the idea of not having to edit a long video too. Anyone selling just a hightlight video and raw footage?

Chris Harding August 24th, 2015 05:35 PM

Re: Who is just doing a hightlight film and giving away raw footage?

Hi Jeff

From my side there would be two issues :

(1) To do a simple and easy high light video I need to shift thru and edit all the footage anyway so why not do a long form ... Doing a long form allows me to decide in my head exactly what the high light video will be made up from.

(2) Why do they want the raw footage ... I very much doubt whether the average couple have the necessary edit software just for starters! The problem is, what happens if they DO have a decent NLE and make a really awful attempt at editing and then blame you?? I so no issue of course if the raw footage is purely for backup in the future but how can you tell??

Robert Benda August 24th, 2015 07:56 PM

I'd double check with them to see if they actually want the raw footage, or if they're expecting a simple linear documentary style all-footage edit.

Michael Silverman August 24th, 2015 10:20 PM

One of my packages includes just a highlight film but most clients who purchase this package will also purchase the raw footage as well for $300. I don't give them the files straight from the camera (mostly because some of the cameras just record reference audio). I will go in and do some light editing so that the audio matches up with the correct shots and apply a few color correction filters that I used during the highlight video. It seems to be a good complement to the highlight video if they don't want to pay for a long form video.

Kyle Root August 25th, 2015 09:47 AM

Under my new pricing structure (everything ala carte), it would be possible for a client to have me film the day, purchase a highlight reel, and purchase the raw footage.

If they wanted to do that, I'd be ok with that.

Leon Bailey August 25th, 2015 07:41 PM

If they want RAW Footage, charge them for it. I really don't understand why couples want the actual files, but more power to them. They can pay for it.

Kyle Root August 25th, 2015 07:50 PM

For me, I'm now like 40 and my clients are like 20. I'm not going to be doing this forever and I don't want to be responsible for archiving footage.

So, I make it available for them to purchase and save for their own family heirloom kind of thing.

If something happens to me or my computer, they have everything they need to recreate the video.

I give them:
- all the original AVCHD.MXF, MOV files
- jpegs of all the graphics I've made (DVD case insert, DVD label, DVD menu)
- a master ISO file
- a master mp4 of the final video
- any photos I've taken.

$500.00 for a hard drive with all that.

I encourage them to copy it all to their own computer as well and make another copy of the HD if they wish for a bank lock box etc.

Michael Silverman August 25th, 2015 08:10 PM

For the first few brides who requested raw footage, I asked them if they wanted to have a friend or family member re-edit the footage or if they just wanted to watch it. They all said they just wanted to watch it so I just converted everything to MP4 and put it on a USB drive for them and they paid for it. Most of my cameras shoot in AVCHD and I doubt a bride would want to try to work with those files. I've probably sold the raw footage to 10-12 brides and so far no one has asked for the actual files that came straight from the camera (except for one bride who owns a video production company).

Chris Harding August 25th, 2015 08:23 PM

For the odd bride who has asked for raw footage to be included I have supplied the MP4 files straight from the camera and they have freaked .." How am I supposed to view 120 video clips of my wedding" ...so I have come to the assumption that raw footage to them is not camera files at all. What they really want is EVERYTHING you filmed whether you used it or not and in a watchable file not a bunch of camera files.

What they consider un-edited footage would be in my opinion all your camera files, in sequence as an MP4 clip but actually at a minimum, top and tailed to take out the wobbly bits and assembled as a video clip so they can play it on their computer. That to me is almost a quick edit so a few hours at least is involved and decent charges have to be passed on to the bride. Another issue is if you are doing a 2 or more camera shoot would you be obliged to sync 2nd and even 3rd cam footage to the main track ..would they expect that ..if so that's also very chargeable!!

Michael Silverman August 25th, 2015 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1896114)

What they consider un-edited footage would be in my opinion all your camera files, in sequence as an MP4 clip but actually at a minimum, top and tailed to take out the wobbly bits and assembled as a video clip so they can play it on their computer. That to me is almost a quick edit so a few hours at least is involved and decent charges have to be passed on to the bride.

Chris, that's exactly what I do and it's worked pretty well. I'll get several hundred clips from each camera but I will compile them into 5-10 MP4 files. I label them as "Camera A - Pre-Ceremony Footage" or "Camera C - Reception Footage". I will do some minor audio adjustments and apply the same color correction filters I used for their highlight video. But otherwise I pretty much leave it alone and just give them a heads up that the footage will include some shots that are out of focus, shots where we were walking with the camera, etc.

I haven't had any feedback since I don't normally talk to them after sending the USB with the raw footage. I'd be interested to find out if any of them watched all 5 or 6 hours of it!

Rebecca Curtis August 25th, 2015 09:07 PM

I do this fairly often actually...though VERY rarely do they want the actual files themselves...what they really wanted is just the formalities delivered to them and a fancy highlight reel, nothing more. I offer that as well as a longer edit. It's popular and way less editing time, which is nice for me right now as I have a 4 year old daughter and enjoy the breaks in heavy editing.

Leon Bailey August 25th, 2015 09:48 PM

What do y'all tell couples that ask why you don't give them the RAW footage for free?

I have actually had couples pass on me (so they say) as I won't give them RAW footage for free. Other local companies give it to them for free.

Chris Harding August 25th, 2015 11:30 PM

I gave one bride a deal which said "no editing" just raw footage so I technically gave away the footage as that was the only end product. She had someone overseas who was going to edit the files. If they ask for the raw footage up front just tell them the footage is free BUT you have to pay my editor assembly and compilation costs ...in camera form, I tell them (big lie) "Do you have the same camera as mine to watch the footage as they are camera files on the camera card" Again the bride that wanted the shoot and only raw footage actually expected one or two files neatly trimmed and fully watchable ... You can say you are giving them the raw footage for free but make sure you charge appropriate edit cost to supply it in a watchable format.

Anything can be made to "appear" free ..you are just paying for it somewhere else .. Our package has a FREE open photobooth when they book video and photography ..of course our costing covers us more than adequately!

Roger Gunkel August 26th, 2015 04:40 AM

I don't know about others, but when I film, I often quickly switch to the next clip and the camera is just stopping, so when I play it back there might be a sudden move at the end of the clip. Maybe I don't stop the camera as the bride is about to get out of the car and I quickly reframe. Perhaps the colour balance was slightly out and will need correcting. All of these things to an untrained eye could look unprofessional and give the wrong impression, which is precisely why we edit a video.

If you are giving away raw footage are you giving them all these little rough bits, or are you taking them out? If the latter, then effectively you must be quickly going through the footage and doing a quick edit. If so, then they need to be charged accordingly and if not, you risk being classed as incompetent because of your 'bad' shots.

Never forget that in the wedding business we are dealing with amateurs who often don't understand the difference between their wedding video footage and a TV documentary and may judge you accordingly.

Roger

Kyle Root August 26th, 2015 08:07 AM

I don't take anything out. I leave everything as is.

The last wedding we did, ended up with 20 media folders from the different cameras and some 6,000+ files.

No time to be going through all that and removing stuff. lol

Chris Harding August 26th, 2015 07:16 PM

Hi Kyle

That's what I though too and on the last job when they wanted shoot and raw footage only, the bride expected just one file not little bits and pieces of camera footage. If I'm going to assemble the footage into a watchable single segment surely that qualifies as edited footage (Ok it's very basic) but it's certainly not "unedited" ... This was going to an editor to make into a video so as an editor I would expect just camera files. Do brides say anything to you when you supply just a pile of unsorted camera clips??? or it that what they expect?

Danny O'Neill August 27th, 2015 02:07 AM

Never give away the raw footage.

I don't know why couples want it but they do. At least half take it and we charge for it. It's one of our highest profit items.

They never have the money for it before the wedding but 2 months later they want to buy it.

Roger Gunkel August 27th, 2015 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1896249)

I don't know why couples want it but they do. At least half take it and we charge for it. It's one of our highest profit items.

They never have the money for it before the wedding but 2 months later they want to buy it.

How long is your normal product without the raw footage?

Roger

Kyle Root August 27th, 2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1896233)
Hi Kyle

That's what I though too and on the last job when they wanted shoot and raw footage only, the bride expected just one file not little bits and pieces of camera footage. If I'm going to assemble the footage into a watchable single segment surely that qualifies as edited footage (Ok it's very basic) but it's certainly not "unedited" ... This was going to an editor to make into a video so as an editor I would expect just camera files. Do brides say anything to you when you supply just a pile of unsorted camera clips??? or it that what they expect?

I've never had anyone come back to me and ask why it was just hundreds of clips.

I explain pretty clearly up front in the consultation and in my documentation what they are getting for $500.00

Noa Put August 27th, 2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1896249)

Do you mean with raw footage what comes straight off the sd cards? I used to offer a 20 minute short film and longer parts lke ceremony and speeches completely but those where edited and a paid option and they always payed extra for that but I never would consider copying all the data from my cards and provide this to my clients, unless I was hired to shoot only and teh client would do the edit.

David Barnett August 27th, 2015 12:11 PM

I've been pretty frustrated with raw footage requests. I don't like them seeing it thinking 'Why'd he shoot the invitations for 40 seconds' or if I rushed to a shot & hit record to getting started thinking 'Well he's got the camera on while walking around' etc.

IMHO we spend a ton of time editing it for them, for it to look presentable. So why would I risk letting them see a lesser product of mine also? Secondly I had someone claim 'they knew someone who edits' and wanted to do a version for them too? They sent me a brand new Seagate for Mac hard drive? Knowing Macs can't take my Sony .M2T files I labored converting them all to Quicktime, then when I hook up the HD found out I need to download some driver software to use a PC with it..

So I was asked a couple weeks ago for raw again, I remembered reading on here something stated they educated couples on why they wouldn't want or need it. So I tried that & got a snippy response a few minutes later saying "Thank you for your time & customer service. We will be using another videographer" (I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm due to me basically saying no), so the next time I simply said 'No I do not'.

I don't wanna give it away, but it seems adding a cost is the best option. I've been meaning to ask rates you charge for this but I might as well offer it for a fee if it's becoming a dealbreaker. One thing I understand is as DVD/Blu Ray are being phased out they may want a media file of it, but can't I just supply a mp4 file of the final edit? Again, I'll just change to say yes & put a cost on it.

Noa Put August 27th, 2015 01:10 PM

It's very rare I get a request for raw footage from the cards, I use up to 5 different camera's and recorders, not sure what they would be doing with all that footage which can run to over 100gb. It requires someone with experience and the right software to put all that together. Then there is the different codecs some camera's use that they won't be able to open on the moviemaker windows version most use so not sure what they are trying to gain with asking for raw footage.

And if they ask I just say no and tell them they will get all footage in a edited version instead.

David Barnett August 27th, 2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1896289)
It's very rare I get a request for raw footage from the cards, I use up to 5 different camera's and recorders, not sure what they would be doing with all that footage which can run to over 100gb. It requires someone with experience and the right software to put all that together. Then there is the different codecs some camera's use that they won't be able to open on the moviemaker windows version most use so not sure what they are trying to gain with asking for raw footage.

And if they ask I just say no and tell them they will get all footage in a edited version instead.

Noa, I feel they think 'more is better'... Therefore, if the like a 40 minute video, well then for sure they'll love all 3 hours we shot!!

People typically don't understand what editing really includes, and I guess think its going to be like watched an NFL game vs watching the highlights on TV. But when they see the focusing, the white balance, the retries etc they end up watching a minute just for a 5 second shot sometimes.

I've gotten it requested 3 times now, I literally googled "What should I ask my wedding videographer?" to see if bridal sites were suggesting they request it. I didn't really find it, although I saw some interesting ones (one stated a pro editor can edit your wedding "in about 3 hours"? not sure I agree with that at all but maybe I'm slow at editing), I was thinking of posting a few here.

Anyway yeah Chris' post about them being confused about the 'multiple files format', although I can understand random people not in the know not knowing that. But still I certainly wouldn't assemble edit into 1 clip either for them. Sometimes I think people think we shoot nearly an in camera edit, shooting the days events very linear, yet with very little excess footage shot. Then taking the 50 minutes of footage and trimming a little bit here & there out, narrowing it down to a polished 40 minute video.

Just another reason to charge for it I suppose, you never know what followup questions/issues will arise.

Roger Gunkel August 27th, 2015 04:15 PM

I think there is a very simple reason why clients may want the raw footage. If you are presenting them with let's say a 30 minute finished product, they probably love the product but would actually like to see the rest of the day that you filmed as well. When they ask for raw footage, you can probably replace the word 'Raw' with 'Rest of the day'.

My main product is a whole day documentary video and I have rarely been asked for raw footage. On the odd occasion that I have, I have asked what they actually want and it invariably is for any bits that I didn't include. As I tend to edit in camera as I film, anything I don't use would be a few seconds off the start or end of some clips or unuseable bits where I deliberately or accidentally left the camera on, with maybe the odd person walking through a shot. When I explain this they are happy to accept that anything else is not worth having.

If your end product is short form and you are regularly being asked for raw footage, it may be worth offering them a full length edit at extra cost.

Roger

Nigel Barker August 27th, 2015 04:29 PM

I guess that some couples want to see all the usable footage that you shot. With set pieces like the ceremony or speeches that in the regular final product will be mixed down to a single track from multiple locked off cameras or a second or third shooter then there will be a whole load of footage that while technically usable just didn't make it to the final cut. In years to come the couple or their descendants may be interested to view what everyone in the congregation was up to by just watching the entire take from the locked off wide camera.

It is technically feasible to produce multi-angle DVDs & Blu-rays) where the viewer chooses which camera angle to view. This would be the elegant way of answering the requirement to view all usable footage but I doubt any couple will be prepared to pay a realistic price for the enormous amount of work required to produce a multi-angle disc.

Chris Harding August 27th, 2015 05:48 PM

That is a very good point about exactly what brides consider to be "raw footage" ... I'm wondering if their expectations are closer to a long form edit rather than camera files. I'm pretty sure that 99% who ask and not going to edit the files but simply want to see everything shot on the day and that is expected to be in a watchable format.

We always provide a long form so the bride gets the whole day anyway. Photogs will often say on their website "you get all the photos we take on the day, not just the best 100 shots" so it sounds like brides also want the same thing so they don't miss a thing and also they want it to be private too as that sort of footage wouldn't be shown around ..it's mainly just for the couple!!

David Barnett August 27th, 2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1896308)
I guess that some couples want to see all the usable footage that you shot. With set pieces like the ceremony or speeches that in the regular final product will be mixed down to a single track from multiple locked off cameras or a second or third shooter then there will be a whole load of footage that while technically usable just didn't make it to the final cut.

I do long form, so the speeches, ceremony toasts dances etc are in full. I was thinking maybe since DVD/Blu Ray etc is phasing out they'd like to have it for any future media conversion, but if that were the case wouldn't a mp4 or Quicktime file of the finished product suffice? I really think they think there's hidden gems in there I didn't find. And maybe there are, like a favorite aunt dancing which meant something to her but to me is just some person on the dance floor, but I typically try to pull in nearly every interesting shot into the edit. The laughing, the giggles, the unexpected kisses & laughter etc.

Leon Bailey August 27th, 2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1896289)

Right. Like, you really going to look at a bunch of files?

I feel like they will try to edit their own video and put it online and say I did it. smh...FB tagging lol.

Nigel Barker August 28th, 2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1896322)
I do long form, so the speeches, ceremony toasts dances etc are in full. I was thinking maybe since DVD/Blu Ray etc is phasing out they'd like to have it for any future media conversion, but if that were the case wouldn't a mp4 or Quicktime file of the finished product suffice? I really think they think there's hidden gems in there I didn't find. And maybe there are, like a favorite aunt dancing which meant something to her but to me is just some person on the dance floor, but I typically try to pull in nearly every interesting shot into the edit. The laughing, the giggles, the unexpected kisses & laughter etc.

It's not necessarily hidden gems but ten years down the line when Grandma has passed on that the family may want to watch all the footage of her enjoying herself at the wedding watching the speakers rather than the speakers themselves.

I only once supplied all the raw footage & this was at the request of the bride whose father died just a couple of weeks after the wedding. There were plenty of the shots of her father that weren't included even in the long form edit. I didn't bother to top & tail or edit the raw footage in any way I just dumped the files as they had come off the memory cards onto a portable hard drive.

Noa Put August 28th, 2015 01:09 AM

Quote:

I only once supplied all the raw footage & this was at the request of the bride whose father died just a couple of weeks after the wedding.
I have had that happening 3 years ago when the grooms brother died in a car accident 2 weeks after the wedding, they also asked me if I has any other footage from him that was not used in the film. They allready had the most precious part which was a 20 minute speech his brother gave but I then handpicked all shots that showed his brother and made a separate dvd and a dvdvover with a picture from his brother that they supplied, I didn't charge anything for that as something like this doens't happen every week and it felt a bit not done asking money for it.

Danny O'Neill August 28th, 2015 05:13 AM

Raw footage is just that. Footage straight from cards. Copy to a USB stick and done. Occasionally they may ask for it to be converted into iPhone friendly format so I just run it through Handbrake.

No one asks for it but we offer it as an addon so that's why people often go for it.

Our products range from 8-20 minutes depending on package. All packages come with an edited copy of the speeches and ceremony in full. So even when they get that they still want the raw footage.

Steve Burkett August 31st, 2015 01:03 AM

Yesterday's Bride first approached another Videographer at a Wedding she attended. She was quite surprised to hear she would only get a 10 minute video. Her opinion, understandable was that you pay all that money and only get 10 minutes!!! Of course the Videographer argued that in the age of the Internet, shorter is better, but the Bride wanted a video she could show her kids in the future and get a more complete picture of the Wedding. Thankfully she was quite determined in this and looked elsewhere, but I wonder if any Couples go with this and later regret their choice.

Now I've met a Videographer who does something similar. Again, no extras like uncut Speeches and Ceremony. Just the highlights. She was the 2nd shooter for the Photographer, so obviously not getting enough work filming. However it was clear her kit was very minimal, a camera, couple of lenses, a tripod, stabiliser and zoom recorder. She noted with interest my lapel mic and pocket recorder as her next purchase. So it seems this is a style of video for those Videographers with not the greatest of kit or experience, looking to earn a bit of money doing stylish Wedding videos. Must make for an easier day, just grabbing enough to fill 10 minutes. However unless you offer longer videos, even as raw footage, I just can't see how 10 minutes can be seen to be worth x amount of money.

Chris Harding August 31st, 2015 01:17 AM

All my brides expect me to film the whole day ..up the agreed points anyway, so I can see the issue if they only get a 10 minute video out of the entire day! I can honestly see the value for money aspect of just supplying a 10 minute video and raw footage ... If I was the bride and being charged $XXXX for just one short video I would be pissed too!! It's simply I'm paying for the whole day so I want the whole day..If I only watch it once that's my problem. Yes I would appreciate a short high light to show my friends who don't want to sit thru 2 hours of wedding (they probably came anyway so they know what happened)

Supplying a short clip of high lights and raw footage is almost an IKEA solution and to me it suggests to the bride "I'm lazy so you will only get a short clip and the rest is up to you"

If they employ you for 10 hours their end product should cover all the events of that period in watchable format ...even just a basic edit ..and then offer high lights and trailers etc etc. It's almost like buying a new home and the builder says "It's liveable and I put the doors on the house but all the rest is in the garage so it's up to you to finish it and paint it"

Roger Gunkel August 31st, 2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1896592)
Yesterday's Bride first approached another Videographer at a Wedding she attended. She was quite surprised to hear she would only get a 10 minute video. Her opinion, understandable was that you pay all that money and only get 10 minutes!!! Of course the Videographer argued that in the age of the Internet, shorter is better, but the Bride wanted a video she could show her kids in the future and get a more complete picture of the Wedding. Thankfully she was quite determined in this and looked elsewhere, but I wonder if any Couples go with this and later regret their choice.

The biggest wedding show of the year that I exhibit at had a lot of photographers also offering video. Every one was a very short video and I got the impression that they are just using their existing equipment with a second shooter like your example, to add on video for extra income from the day.

What was interesting was that we took several bookings from that wedding show, with all the Bride's saying that they thought all wedding videos were short as that was whet everyone else was offering and they just didn't think it was worth the money. I always point out that we are happy to do an additional highlights video if they would like one.

Before anyone comments that Chris and I offering joint photo packages is no different to photographers offering video, the difference is that we both offer a full length video with a full photo package, whereas my experience seems to be that most add on video packages are short highlights only. A highlights only package is a totally different product to full length and I am sure there is a market for both, but with short cinematic being very fashionable, many brides don't realize there is an alternative choice.

Roger

Steve Burkett August 31st, 2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1896625)
The biggest wedding show of the year that I exhibit at had a lot of photographers also offering video.

I suppose Photographers have every right to offer video as we offer Photos; it swings both ways. The Photographer has an advantage in that they are usually the 1st port of call, so are free to spread horror stories as I know some do of troublesome and intrusive Video guys to help sell their product and give them 100% of the days limelight. That said, I feel most never truly embrace video from a story telling point of view, feeling a sequence of well captured and stylish footage is all it takes. Now I'm not knocking the Cinematic edit, in fact I can see this is where my Business is headed, but having spent years doing documentary, I find its style will hold with me and I'll continue to offer a much longer video to give couples more a feel of the entire day.

Although the Videographer I quoted above used the term Cinematic to describe his 10 minutes masterpiece, I feel its more a Cinematic Highlights Video than a full Cinematic video, which for an entire Wedding Day should be at least 20 minutes, okay 15 at a push. 10 minutes is fine for the internet but not for prosperity. I've captured some lovely and beautiful moments in my time and most do not feel the need to confine their moment to fit the schedule of a 10 minute highlights video.

I certainly offer such a video as an addition, as a marketing tool and as a video to post on Facebook, but its the equivalent of the voulevant; fine as a snack, but no substitute for the main course.