DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Photographer Promo Vid - how much to charge? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529709-photographer-promo-vid-how-much-charge.html)

James Bishop September 11th, 2015 03:24 AM

Photographer Promo Vid - how much to charge?

A photographer friend wants me to go along to one of her weddings and film her for a few hours, to then make a 2-3 minute promo vid of her in action.

How much would you charge for something like this? I guess it will be a few hours work on the day + one day editing...

Steve Bleasdale September 11th, 2015 03:28 AM

Re: Photographer Promo Vid - how much to charge?

£495 my last one with one change in the edit any more added extra.

Leon Bailey September 11th, 2015 09:28 PM

Charge your hourly rate if you have it, then the amount of time it will take you to edit. If it's truly indeed 2-3 hours. I would charge my half day rate + editing fee.

Chris Harding September 11th, 2015 09:35 PM

If you have to make a special trip to the wedding don't forget travel costs too! Obviously if you are shooting the wedding and are already there you don't have to factor in the extra cost. See if she will allow you some credit on the final result too ..good advertising for you!!

Kyle Root September 12th, 2015 04:46 PM

I charge $750.

Adam Grunseth September 13th, 2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Bishop (Post 1897785)
A photographer friend wants me to go along to one of her weddings and film her for a few hours, to then make a 2-3 minute promo vid of her in action.

How much would you charge for something like this? I guess it will be a few hours work on the day + one day editing...

For shooting I usually charge a day, or half day rate. I don't do hourly rates for field work as by the time I load up my gear, set up, then take everything down and get back, I've spent at least half the day working, even if the shoot was short.

In regards to editing, I always bill based on time I spend editing, by the hour. I have found that when I attempted to offer a flat rate for editing, clients kept asking for changes, or changing their minds. What should have been a short, easy edit, turned into a multi-day process. But, because I quoted them a flat rate for the editing, I couldn't charge more.

By billing for the time you spend editing you keep requests for revisions to a minimum. And if they keep having you make changes, you get paid for that time you are working.

Leon Bailey September 13th, 2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Grunseth (Post 1897997)
For shooting I usually charge a day, or half day rate. I don't do hourly rates for field work as by the time I load up my gear, set up, then take everything down and get back, I've spent at least half the day working, even if the shoot was short.

In regards to editing, I always bill based on time I spend editing, by the hour. I have found that when I attempted to offer a flat rate for editing, clients kept asking for changes, or changing their minds. What should have been a short, easy edit, turned into a multi-day process. But, because I quoted them a flat rate for the editing, I couldn't charge more.

By billing for the time you spend editing you keep requests for revisions to a minimum. And if they keep having you make changes, you get paid for that time you are working.

Smart. I might have to do that now.

Jeff Harper September 13th, 2015 02:21 PM

I figure out how much to charge for various odd jobs by figuring how much I need so that I don't feel resentful doing the job. Might sound weird but it works for me.

Mike Watson September 13th, 2015 04:01 PM

Do it for a flat rate, then rebate the photog back $100 per booked wedding you get via his referrals. Tell him it could be free with enough booked referrals. Set a time limit on it (12/18 months). GET THE MONEY FIRST, do not offer to do it for referrals and then bill for the remainder 18 months from now.

Gabe Strong September 13th, 2015 04:08 PM

I've been asked to do a couple of these before. Always by what I
would call a 'premium' photographer, meaning their low wedding
package is at $5K, and their middle one is around $10K. They
usually want a video which helps them promote the fact that they
are not 'just another wedding photographer' and that 'you get what
you pay for' when you pay extra for a premium photographer. In other
words, they want a video to help them justify their higher prices,
and show their premium results. Which means, the ones I've had
approach me on this, want a high end video done, gimbal/slider shots,
artsy shallow depth of field, drone shots if possible, good licensed
music (not the typical royalty free stuff, more like something from The Music Bed
or similar site), and so on.

I charge them the same thing I would charge any other business that wants a
2-3 minute 'higher end' promo video. Depending on some of their choices
it will cost them from 2-5K. Most of them pass and go to someone cheaper....lol.