DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   It finally happened that someone...... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529917-finally-happened-someone.html)

Steven Davis October 1st, 2015 01:58 PM

It finally happened that someone......

brought a self-stick to this wedding and was dancing around with it. All I could think of was a periscope.

Noa Put October 1st, 2015 03:09 PM

Re: It finally happened that someone......

The wedding I just finished editing the father of the groom had a selfie stick with a gopro attached to it in the church and he used it to film the brides entrance.

Steven Davis October 1st, 2015 03:12 PM

@Noa, you should ask him for the footage then send him a 25.00 check for his work. lol. I guess I could mount a go pro like that to my reception tripod. That might be interesting.

Noa Put October 1st, 2015 03:18 PM

I rather see these gopro's then people holding these obnoxious ipads in the aisle blocking my view from the bride, who in his right mind brings a ipad to a wedding?

Steven Davis October 1st, 2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1899620)
I rather see these gopro's then people holding these obnoxious ipads in the aisle blocking my view from the bride, who in his right mind brings a ipad to a wedding?

Geez, and I thought that iPad phenomenon only happened at my weddings. I've tried to deal with it with counseling my brides and grooms, but it's not easy to stop.

I recently had the minister ask everyone to not take pictures during a ceremony, and then the coordinator did the same thing. Did it stop Uncle Fred from popping off his Canon 5d, nope. And then he posted his work on facebook preempting my gallery. Sigh.

Steve Bleasdale October 1st, 2015 04:18 PM

Past caring!! Ipads. Phones, idiot guests with selfie sticks, priests, toastmasters, DJs, crap Internet speeches, ridiculous projector screens with sad blurred photos. You guess? Can't wait to retire from all that crap. Sorry guys

Chris Harding October 1st, 2015 06:37 PM

What really gets me it that they have this iPad not on it's own but in a bright red leatherette case complete with a keyboard and use the entire thing to "film" the ceremony and it's big enough to totally block the bride's face too. If they held up just the iPad that might be OK but no, they have to use the entire case so we end up with a bright red case 12" across and 24" down totally blocking not only the camera view but a lot of guests too.

I just leave the footage in nowdays .. I'm tired of complaining!

Don Bloom October 1st, 2015 07:13 PM

I am so over weddings. I don't miss them or the BS that goes along with them at all. Best thing I ever did was retire. Seriously, even the corporate stuff...not missing it one bit. I am so much more relaxed, sleeping better, feeling better, blood pressure is down....and traveling more. YAHOO!!!
Weddings? We don't need no stinkin' weddings! (that line courtesy of Blazing Saddles)

Paul Mailath October 2nd, 2015 12:09 AM

I'm with you Don - really getting tired of the treadmill but I've got to make a quid somehow

Noa Put October 2nd, 2015 12:58 AM

I also see more gopros on a selfie stick during the dancing at evening used by guests, might be a way to get home early and ask for the dancefootage later on :)

Rob Cantwell October 2nd, 2015 07:28 AM

i wish i had one

:-) i could beat someone with it!!!!

It might be a good idea for a dedicated thread that we could provide a link to for couples to realise how annoying these things can be.

Roger Gunkel October 2nd, 2015 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a selfie stick, but I had a wedding this Wednesday where people were pushing in front all day with phones, pads and cameras. Claire and I were doing photos and video and even had one Mother continually standing infront of us during the formal posed groups while we were taking stills. Even the guests were getting annoyed at her!.

I uploaded a still from the backup video camera as the Bride and her Father were coming down the aisle at the start. Both Mums with pads and two bridesmaids with children in one arm and a phone in the other decided to take pictures of the walk down the aisle without any consideration of what we or the Vicar wanted.

Roger

Steve Burkett October 2nd, 2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1899646)
I am so over weddings. I don't miss them or the BS that goes along with them at all. Best thing I ever did was retire. Seriously, even the corporate stuff...not missing it one bit. I am so much more relaxed, sleeping better, feeling better, blood pressure is down....and traveling more. YAHOO!!!
Weddings? We don't need no stinkin' weddings! (that line courtesy of Blazing Saddles)

Yes well if you're like me, in your early 40's, a bit of work is kind of expected. And there are worse things than Wedding Videography, in fact lots of worse ways to earn a living. I'm only 2 years out of the daily office grind of being a University stooge, so still have moments when I'm standing in the grounds of some stately home watching the sunset as I film a delightful couple and pinch myself that this is now my job. So what I have to contend with annoying vicars, the occasional obtrusive Photographer and guests with long sticks and ipads waving about, I'm doing what I enjoy, which is a lot more than what many working people can say these days.

Noa Put October 2nd, 2015 11:58 AM

I feel bad for those that hate shooting weddings that much, I at least have enjoyed it a lot until my bad back took a part of that joy out, it's like Steve says that there are much worse jobs and even with some of the frustration I have to deal with every wedding, the appreciation I get from my clients for the time I put into it makes it all worth it. I don't feel I have wasted any years doing weddings and if I eventually will stop doing them I certainly will miss it.

Don Bloom October 2nd, 2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1899679)
Yes well if you're like me, in your early 40's, a bit of work is kind of expected. And there are worse things than Wedding Videography, in fact lots of worse ways to earn a living. I'm only 2 years out of the daily office grind of being a University stooge, so still have moments when I'm standing in the grounds of some stately home watching the sunset as I film a delightful couple and pinch myself that this is now my job. So what I have to contend with annoying vicars, the occasional obtrusive Photographer and guests with long sticks and ipads waving about, I'm doing what I enjoy, which is a lot more than what many working people can say these days.

Well since I'm well past my 40s and did both photography (12 years) and video (30+) years for over 40 years which means I did in excess of 2200 weddings, plus the hundred and hundreds of corporate type things I did over those years, in both great health and not so good health, missing my kids growing up among other things, to make a buck, I EARNED the right to dislike greatly what I was doing. Did I always feel that way? Nope, absolutely not but the last 5 years of doing it especially and mostly weddings yeah, I did. I've seen it all and done it all and frankly, it left a very bad taste in my mouth.
If you or Noa or anyone else still likes shooting weddings...great and more power to you but for me....I enjoy my time off, with no deadlines, no more listening to people bitch and moan about this that or the other and the best part...I get to travel way more than ever and spend time with my kids and grandkids and that to me is priceless. I made my mark and my money in the game, now it's time to enjoy the fruits of that labor. You may never feel the way I do and if not fantastic but for me....Well let's just say that the best decision I've made was to retire. Works for me. Now you'll have to excuse me but I need to pack since I'm off on another cruise and I'm flying out tomorrow. Let's see, that's number 11 for the year and one more to go after this one. I love it! BTW, retirement doesn't take age...it takes money! Don't knock it 'til you try it!