DJI Osmo for Weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 27th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Major Player

DJI Osmo for Weddings?

As wedding shooters what do you all think of this product?

DJI Osmo ? Reimagine Movement | DJI

I have been considering upgrading my Canon 5DM2 which I've been using primarily for my stabilizer shots (Steadicam Merlin). After using this combo for several years I can get decent footage but I can never hand off to one of my crew because of the learning curve. The Osmo with the X5 camera and gimble would run about $2500- about the same as an A7s body. What excites me about the Osmo is the ability to remote control from a phone or tablet so that I could have one of my crew moving the camera while I control camera direction, exposure, focus etc. The specs on the X5 camera seem to indicate it would be good in low light too. Thoughts?
Old October 29th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: DJI Osmo for Weddings?

Sounds interesting although quite expensive. I'd need to see how the camera performs first.
This could be a better solution although we have to wait and see.
SteadXP a half in camera/ half in post stabilising solution? 3 DAYS LEFT TO BACK IT! | Philip Bloom
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

From what I've seen online, the image quality on the X5 camera didn't impress me much and I don't think it would compare very well to the A7s II. Here is a video showing how the X5 compares to the X3 (which is basically a GoPro):

In most of the shots i think the X3 looks as good if not better than the X5. Once the sun starts to set then I notice a difference in how the X5 handles shadows, but I'm not sure that it's worth almost $2K more when the X3 looks just as good in many situations.

If you're interested in buying a new camera and stabilizer you may want to wait until used A7S cameras start getting really cheap and buy one of those along with a Ronin-M. If you can get a Ronin-M and and a used A7s for $3000 then it will be far better in low light since the X5 likely won't look all that great once you have to raise up the ISO.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #4
Major Player

I saw that clip too and was not impressed but the shooter mentioned he might have had a focus issue. This clip, while professionally produced does impress me.
dji x5 - Bing video

What I really like about the Osmo/X5 combination vs a A7s/Ronin is the compact form factor. It looks like it would have minimal setup time and you can lay it down and pick it up quickly which would be ideal for fast paced environments like weddings. The two things that have me hesitant about the Osmo are 1.) low light capability as you mentioned (rated for 25,000 ISO but what does that mean?) and 2.) having only one focal length lens available for now. Another positive - spare batteries are only $35!

Art
Old October 30th, 2015, 06:49 AM   #5
Major Player

The advantage of the Osmo is definitely ease of use and portability. I doubt it will be as good as an a7s or most cameras we are using, but the ability to easy have it on you at all times is the huge benefit. It will be interesting to see if people use it for weddings and how the videos turn out.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Major Player

The way I'm looking at this is that we're well past the threshold of having great cameras that will give us amazing quality footage in the hands of a professional. So while the A7s may be better than the X5 and a C300 better than an A7s, the perceptible differences for our wedding market are getting smaller and smaller. For me it's now about the speed and efficiency of being able to get the shot when it presents itself. I find myself over-burdened with so much gear now that I'm missing stuff when I'm changing lenses, balancing my steadicam, etc. I can see buying or making a holster for the Osmo and having it hanging on my hip at the ready.
Old October 30th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Art, I think you make some really great points. I'm personally looking at the Osmo with the X3 because it's REALLY lightweight and also looks like there's very little setup involved.

I think my main concern about the X5 is that I don't think it will be very good in low light so it may be something that can only be used when the lights are raised up at the reception. My thinking is that if I can only use it when there's lots of light then I may as well get the X3 and save the money.

However, everyone has a different idea of what "low light" means. I tend to shoot receptions that get very dark and even with a 50mm f/1.4 on my C100 I still need to raise the ISO to 6400 or 8000 sometimes. So for me, I wouldn't be able to use the X5 for much of the evening. I think that some people tend to shoot receptions that don't get quite as dark so the X5 may work pretty well if the lights don't get really low like they do here.

As far as the quality of the image when outdoors, my guess is that most people wouldn't be able to tell a big difference between the A7S, X5 and X3 because they're all very sharp with good image quality. So to me it's really just the low light thing that concerns me about both the X3 and X5.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I hear you Michael. I shoot with a C100 and fast lenses too which barely hold up in dark venues. I guess I'll wait to see some initial reviews. DJI still hasn't released the adapter required to mate the X5 with the Osmo handle so it may be a while.
Old November 1st, 2015, 04:21 AM   #9
Major Player

On a post elsewhere from someone who used the DJi Osmo for a wedding yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Videographer
Thoughts on OSMO on a wedding shoot:

This in no way replaces a movi or a ronin. It is unusable in low light and the mechanics take some time to get used to. I've been flying a Ronin for over a year now and consider myself pretty good at maneuvering it. As it stands right now the OSMO doesn't win in speed of operation, low light, longevity (due to very short batter life of 1 hour), white balance (can only do presets or auto), and did I mention low light? Tonight I shot a sparkler exit at a wedding and I had to lower the fps to 24 (I like to do 60 for slow motion through the sparkler tunnel) and 50 shutter speed. Even then at ISO 3200 it is unusable. I will be using the Osmo for fun little family hikes, possibly periscope integration if DJI actually reads my lengthy idea and application of Osmo with Periscope directly in the DJI Go app. This product can be useful during the day and it is lighter than air. It's just unfortunate that that is all it wins in the battle of the gimbals in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Videographer
It will produce some great outdoor daylight stuff but there is a big quality boost when using a Ronin/Movi with say an A7s. I'm super bummed. I wanted this product to make my jaw drop but it's not fast nor great in low light which is what it needs to be for me to get excited.
I haven't named the poster, as it's a closed group, though he did seem to have higher than average expectations for the Osmo. I'm uncertain whether he was using the X5 or not, but will post more once that's clear.

I have no opinion on this, as I am not interested in the Osmo. As far as I am concerned, the Osmo is perfect for day time shoots, and will definitely have a great ability to gain some wonderful footage, but it is a small step for gimbals on a sub-par device, that I suspect some guests will be using in the near future - hence why story is going to be the main reason for us all having jobs still in five years time, as the gimbal is most certainly going to make its way into our devices as consumers.

When someone perfects a single-handed gimbal for a GH4 or A7S, then I think we'll have a huge soar in sales for that product, and it will become a staple for weddings. Otherwise, every gimbal at the moment has its own quirks, and clearly here, the Osmo doesn't help ease of use due to the lack of control you have over it.

If NAB this year was able to introduce the Ronin M, then maybe NAB next year will bring a brilliant one-handed gimbal, or a better two-handed version that will take us one step closer to having a perfect rig.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 08:53 AM   #10
Major Player

I don't believe the poster was referring to the X5 as DJI hasn't yet released the adapter required to pair it with the Osmo handle. The X3 camera standard with the Osmo has a 1/2.3" sensor. The X5 is micro 4/3.
Old November 1st, 2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post
hence why story is going to be the main reason for us all having jobs still in five years time, as the gimbal is most certainly going to make its way into our devices as consumers.
Pessimistic view. As if lack of stable handheld camera footage is what's stopping guests taking our job. Theres a company called Shoot it Yourself that does well loaning professional gear, but yet my Guestcam service is little used as most couples don't trust their guests to do a decent job. As well they might. A gimbal won't give great audio, negotiate with the vicar for prime position, keep filming when there are drinks on offer and make sure the couple are in shot. A gimbal will not turn a guest into Ray Roman.

Quote:
When someone perfects a single-handed gimbal for a GH4 or A7S, then I think we'll have a huge soar in sales for that product, and it will become a staple for weddings. Otherwise, every gimbal at the moment has its own quirks, and clearly here, the Osmo doesn't help ease of use due to the lack of control you have over it.
My gimbal feels quirk free. Sure its not a well known make and it may develop a fault. However I've no complaints so far.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 10:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
I don't believe the poster was referring to the X5 as DJI hasn't yet released the adapter required to pair it with the Osmo handle. The X3 camera standard with the Osmo has a 1/2.3" sensor. The X5 is micro 4/3.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Pessimistic view. As if lack of stable handheld camera footage is what's stopping guests taking our job. Theres a company called Shoot it Yourself that does well loaning professional gear, but yet my Guestcam service is little used as most couples don't trust their guests to do a decent job. As well they might. A gimbal won't give great audio, negotiate with the vicar for prime position, keep filming when there are drinks on offer and make sure the couple are in shot. A gimbal will not turn a guest into Ray Roman.

My gimbal feels quirk free. Sure its not a well known make and it may develop a fault. However I've no complaints so far.
Very true, Steve. I am a pessimist about most things, and I am certainly not capturing the best wedding footage by carrying a tripod, a slider and a monopod vs the videographer who carries a steadicam or gimbal. I am actually really excited and enthused about using a gimbal (eventually). It's just that when I've watched my friend operate his - it takes quite a while to get it balanced - and even then, there can be some quirks. I would eliminate most of his frustrations by leaving a dedicated camera on there, but even then... they look like they take up a bit of time. I'm waiting for the device that comes along that gives us ease of us, control and relatively no quirks whatsoever. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic and that device is already here, I'm just not convinced as yet. The Nebula looked like the one I was most excited about, but then you read the set up quirks and my enthusiasm dwindled. After watching my friend struggle with the Ronin M, my enthusiasm to get one dwindled once more. I'm still really interested in the G2X by Defy, but it costs a fortune where we both live.

Which gimbal do you have, Steve, and have you shared your experiences in a thread yet, so I can go and take a look at your opinion on it?

I had to help a bride at a wedding who is a friend of my girlfriend's who used Shoot it Yourself. Her relative had control of it during the ceremony, and handheld the camera throughout. His back must have been in bits. Then I did the reception / speeches, and used the tripod that they sent to her - an old, brittle photo tripod that was complicated to use. I'm not surprised that few brides trust in these companies, but my point is that with an Osmo, a guest may come away with some 'wow' footage that could potentially compete with some of our works, where as I feel most other equipment guests bring really doesn't compete against what we bring. I take back some of what I said though, you are right. I am overly pessimistic at times. My apologies! :)

Craig
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 10:55 AM   #13
Trustee

Plenty of guests have cameras and can take wow photos, but Photographers are still hired. The odd wow footage is no substitute for hard graft during a long day. No gimbal will film a Ceremony with multiple cameras and then edit the material. That's where we win. I was booked for a Wedding back in March by the Groom who runs his own Video Production company. Footage only as he planned to edit it himself. When I met him again for a friend's Wedding late August, he admitted he had yet to edit a single bit of it. Yet another couple I filmed in March had received from me a Trailer, full length and 30 minute video by the end of April. No gimbal will replace us.

I use a MiniSturdyFlight for my gimbal. Takes me a minute or two to set up and then I'm flying with it. No balancing is needed. It was set and balanced by the company for my 12-35 lens and I just use that. Okay that's a bit limited but for what I use it for, it works well. I could always learn to re-balance the device for another lens, but then I'd lose the ease in which I can grab good shots with it on the go. Perhaps when I feel more confident I'll give that a try. When I get a proper wide angle lens like the SLR Magic 10mm, it'll be worth the effort.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
but it is a small step for gimbals on a sub-par device, that I suspect some guests will be using in the near future - hence why story is going to be the main reason for us all having jobs still in five years time, as the gimbal is most certainly going to make its way into our devices as consumers.
That's something you shouldn't fear, there is a lot more to making a wedding video then the occasional shot from a guest taken from his seat in a church or at a venue, even if that would be in 4K raw. Like Steve says it's one thing to shoot it but another to edit and that's a discipline most don't master or just don't have the time to put it all together into something that is watchable.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 10:56 PM   #15
Major Player

The person who made the post about the Osmo being unusable in low light must have had no idea what type of camera he was getting. If he does in fact have the X3 then this is essentially a GoPro and is not designed for low light. Expecting a GoPro to look great in a dark reception is kind of absurd and that's basically what this guy was expecting. I think this person has a very poor understanding of what to expect from a small sensor camera. It's going to take pretty nice footage outdoors or in very well lit indoor situations, but don't expect it to compete with a large sensor camera in low light.

With that said, I don't expect the X5 to be very good in low light (compared to a C100 or A7S) but it will almost certainly be better than the X3 since it has an M43 sensor with a f/1.7 lens.

To be honest, I don't really trust this person's review because they were expecting it to perform in a way that is extremely unrealistic.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques