DJI Osmo for Weddings? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 5th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: DJI Osmo for Weddings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Wow that is pricey.
If I understand right it's then $2298 + $269 for the handle, the lens is $528 so the handle and x5 camera only are $2037. A handle like gimbal, like the nebula 4000 averages around $800. So the camera would be around $1240. If it performs the same as a gh4 then this would not be expensive at alll and probably be very popular amongst m4/3 camera owners. The accessories, like the followfocus seem to be very overpriced and 5K for the x5r is plain ridiculous if it would be the same camera but with the raw codec as only addition.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #32
Trustee

My only issue with the price is that the camera is not much cheaper than a GH4, which offers a lovely touch screen, focus peaking and histogram, scene profiles, higher bitrate and other custom features. Does the X5 for example allow me to set the shutter speed manually. How good is the interface to smartphone. How good is focusing; is the remote focus system the only way to focus on the fly. When the GH4 is only $260 more expensive than the X5, it feels less attractive to me as an all in 1 unit, especially as I have to supply the smartphone. I'd need to hear more examples of how it works in the field before I'd be prepared to consider it.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #33
Inner Circle

I think the gh4 is cheap which makes any other camera feel expensive :)
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #34
Trustee

I agree, I've been spoiled rotten by the GH4. However my biggest gripe with this system is the reliance on my own smartphone as a screen. Connections to my GoPro for instance have not always been 100% reliable and tend to play up just when you least want it to. Plus any glance at the comments section of any Smartphone App showcases examples of how it doesn't work so well after this update or a phone update or if you're running this other App at the sametime. I can just see DJI fobbing off any problems with video monitoring with the line 'Its not an issue our end, it must be a problem with your phone'.

I can just imagine with my luck, circling the bride and groom on the dancefloor studying the screen closely, only to get a phone call and have that displayed on screen instead.
Old November 5th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #35
Inner Circle

It be an additional cost but the safest thing would be to buy a dedicated phone for it and don't register it with a carrier. Wifi will still work.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Does the X5 for example allow me to set the shutter speed manually. How good is the interface to smartphone. How good is focusing; is the remote focus system the only way to focus on the fly..
From DJI's website

"With the Zenmuse X5, you have an unprecedented level of control right at your fingertips. In the intuitive auto-focus mode, simply tap on the screen of your mobile device to tell the camera to focus on a specific area. You can also easily manually change settings such as focus, shutter, and aperture through the user-friendly DJI GO app."
Old November 5th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
From DJI's website

"With the Zenmuse X5, you have an unprecedented level of control right at your fingertips. In the intuitive auto-focus mode, simply tap on the screen of your mobile device to tell the camera to focus on a specific area. You can also easily manually change settings such as focus, shutter, and aperture through the user-friendly DJI GO app."
Cheers for clearing that up. However marketing blurb and reality in the field aren't always matched. My GoPro App can play up sometimes and I think their website makes equally bold claims. Shame DJI couldn't have included a screen attached to the handle that was physically connected to the camera in some way.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #38
Major Player

Also, using a screen to focus, change your aperture / shutter / ISO is a pain. I dislike touch screens in general, and the general reason for paying more for a camera is to usually get more physical buttons.

It's difficult to be 100% accurate when using a touch screen - just look at how often we need to delete what we have written in a text message...
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #39
Trustee

On reflection and seeing more footage, I am tempted by the X3 version. It would be very useful in situations like the arrival of the Bride, and those sudden moments when I'm required to walk backwards with the Photographer back down the aisle or during a hurriedly arranged confetti throwing. GH4 on a monopod suffers in those occasions. Having this device on your person would at least give me an option to throw in some smooth handheld shots on the spur of the moment.

Plus I do get asked to grab footage with a camera attached to a car - mine or someone elses and apparently there is a mount for this. Could help negate some engine vibrations.
Old November 7th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #40
Major Player

I've had the Osmo/X3 for over a week now, and have no doubt that I'll be able to use it effectively at weddings, etc. It performs better than I expected in lower light levels (absolutely better than a GoPro), and with proper grading/noise reduction, it's going to rock.

The key is to test it out and figure out where it's going to best be used, and not think it's going to be a magical cheap replacement for something like a ronin-gh4 rig. There are lots of great applications for this, and is money well spent IMO.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
I've had the Osmo/X3 for over a week now, and have no doubt that I'll be able to use it effectively at weddings, etc. It performs better than I expected in lower light levels (absolutely better than a GoPro), and with proper grading/noise reduction, it's going to rock.

The key is to test it out and figure out where it's going to best be used, and not think it's going to be a magical cheap replacement for something like a ronin-gh4 rig. There are lots of great applications for this, and is money well spent IMO.
Corey, that's really cool to hear that you like the Osmo with the X3. Do you feel like the footage will match footage shot on a DSLR? How is the dynamic range? When you walk with it does it look like the camera is bobbing up and down or is it pretty smooth?
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
When you walk with it does it look like the camera is bobbing up and down or is it pretty smooth?
Unfortunately 3 axis gimbals do not filter out walking motion, that's up to your own walking technique.
Old November 8th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #43
Trustee

This is a quick test out of the box in work last week It is very smooth, although you do need to have the "cameraman's walk" to get the best out of it!

Old November 8th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverman View Post
Do you feel like the footage will match footage shot on a DSLR? How is the dynamic range? When you walk with it does it look like the camera is bobbing up and down or is it pretty smooth?
I think it'll be fine against my GH3 footage. Then again, I'm only using it in certain situations that I know it's going to perform well in (outdoors and indoors with decent light levels). And I'm going to use it sparingly -- not as any sort of main camera, but for more specialty shots.

There's some slight bobbing when you walk, but only if you're being careless in your step. Simply giving attention to walking smoothly and steadily, which takes a little effort, really irons out the shot.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Graham View Post
I think it'll be fine against my GH3 footage. Then again, I'm only using it in certain situations that I know it's going to perform well in (outdoors and indoors with decent light levels). And I'm going to use it sparingly -- not as any sort of main camera, but for more specialty shots.

There's some slight bobbing when you walk, but only if you're being careless in your step. Simply giving attention to walking smoothly and steadily, which takes a little effort, really irons out the shot.
That's awesome to hear. I had seen footage from DJI's promotional videos for it, but it's always hard to tell exactly what was involved in the production of the videos compared to normal everyday use. I think it's really cool that it's so portable and light and the footage I've seen looks pretty good! I've always had a tough time matching footage from other manufacturer's with my C100s but I just got FilmConvert which seems to make it quiet a bit easier. If you come across any quirks please give an update.

Robin, that footage looks great to me! I had seen footage with a GoPro on the Smoothee and wasn't too impressed with what I saw. To me this looks much more convincing. Did you add warp stabilizer (or another stabilizer effect to it) or is this raw footage?
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques