DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Furious Photographer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/530274-furious-photographer.html)

James Manford November 7th, 2015 02:38 PM

Furious Photographer

Angry wedding photographer posts picture of groom struggling to see bride walk down aisle in guest smartphone rant - Mirror Online

Completely agree with the bloke! absolutely hate these guests.

John C. Chu November 7th, 2015 02:55 PM

Re: Furious Photographer

Brilliant! I hope it really settles down guests from crowding out the photographer and videographer.

Noa Put November 7th, 2015 03:09 PM

Smartphone is one thing, a ipad with the protection cover dangling on the bottomside is like the the size of 10 smartphones put together. I still don't understand why people bring their Ipads to a wedding.

Arthur Gannis November 7th, 2015 05:56 PM

When I used to do photography I quickly got to the point of fed up with telling the guests to give me room or get out of the way and many times I had to deal with the bride showing her photos of guests in the frame that she was quick to snarl " well you're the pro right? didn't you see them in front of you BEFORE you took the shot?" There are times that the guests are unavoidable on key shots that cannot be repeated and the best we could hope for is to crop the offending people out which makes the final composition weird. Even though one tells the bride ( grooms really don't care much anyway) many times before the wedding that guests should be mindful of the pro, it is all quickly forgotten within the din and excitement of the day. I even had the DJ announce to the guests before the couple's entrance and the cake cutting to BACK OFF. Yeah right..in one ear out the other.

Chris Harding November 7th, 2015 08:08 PM

Brides are slowly coming to their senses and are having "unplugged" weddings here but sadly most still have the annoying iphone rush to get a shot. I agree with Noa too ..why do you need a 10" iPad inside a stupid double sized cover and have to hold it up in the air so you don't only block the pros but also block the view for most guests. I had one wedding with a parent in the front row seat hold up her big red iPad and effectively blocked the view for the entire right of the Church. You sadly need to educate brides as the offenders are often family!!

Arthur Gannis November 7th, 2015 10:37 PM

"educate a bride" is easy before the wedding as they all agree and listen to all your requests but on their wedding day they all seem to be in la la land and are way too absorbed into their day. How many times I told the bride to look into MY lens when I take the formals and to NOT look at the other guests that are to my sides ? Gee if I had a dollar for every shot I took of her looking the other way I'd be a millionaire by now.There was one occasion that the bride had written 2 requests on the ceremony agenda. Cell phones off and no photos.
Guess what ? iPads galore during procession AND recession. Some guests either can't read or are inconsiderate. Or both !

Chris Harding November 7th, 2015 10:49 PM

I did a wedding in September and at the entrance stairs was a BIG sign saying "This is an unplugged wedding ..please turn off all devices until the reception. The celebrant also made sure that all the guests heard his announcement via the PA system before the bride arrived! That was a joy to shoot at !!

Yeah, the bride is always in la-la land once she arrives so this needs to be prepared earlier and at least yet the officiant tell the guests and have a sign that no-one will miss seeing! I always suggest it to the couple anyway but not many take up the idea

Noa Put November 8th, 2015 03:18 AM

I have seen this happening much more in Greek and especially Italian weddings where I always have issues of guests blocking my camera's to film or take pictures with their smartphone and they even came up towards the altar to shoot the vows, worst I ever experienced was a Kurdic wedding where half of the guests was shooting video with smartphones but a lot of small handicams as well. I think it's more culture ralated.

Peter Rush November 9th, 2015 02:20 AM

I had similar at a Pakistani wedding a few years back - all the women were snapping away - constantly blocking me. When I delivered the video I got a request to remove all shots of women taking photographs!

Darren Levine November 9th, 2015 09:34 AM

as someone who will be the groom next year, this will be a big NO for guests. you take out your phone, you get booted.

sorry grandma, i know you just learned out to use the tablet, but it's time for you to leave.

Arthur Gannis November 9th, 2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1902336)
I had similar at a Pakistani wedding a few years back - all the women were snapping away - constantly blocking me. When I delivered the video I got a request to remove all shots of women taking photographs!

Why should we be the one removing all the women taking photographs??
Why didn't that burden be on the bride to make sure SHE was the one to tell her photographers beforehand to be REMOVED from the front of your lens ?
Guests never listen to our commands. In one ear out the other. I myself leave them in, all in. No re-edits possible. It's in the contract as written above their signature. For all to see.

Simon Denny November 9th, 2015 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was recently in China and I have never seen people use their iPads before.

Steven Davis November 9th, 2015 07:10 PM

This made national news today. I cracked up and cried at the same time.

Peter Rush November 10th, 2015 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1902424)
Why should we be the one removing all the women taking photographs??
Why didn't that burden be on the bride to make sure SHE was the one to tell her photographers beforehand to be REMOVED from the front of your lens ?
Guests never listen to our commands. In one ear out the other. I myself leave them in, all in. No re-edits possible. It's in the contract as written above their signature. For all to see.

Arthur I quoted them for the edit and they were happy to pay for me to do this - It was OK to leave shots of men taking photos but they wanted all the women snappers removing - I guess it's a cultural thing but I got £XXX so was happy to do it

Pete

Jim Michael November 10th, 2015 09:00 AM

Ever stop to think of turning this into something fun? My guess is the attachment to these devices is going to be over in a few years and folks will look back and laugh like they do at leisure suits.

So for example, have everyone stick a phone/ipad/laptop in the aisle and people raise them as the B&G walk through. Have fun with it.