DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   New Year's Resolution? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/530802-new-years-resolution.html)

Peter Rush January 5th, 2016 10:25 AM

New Year's Resolution?

I always take my steadicam to weddings and hardly ever get it out. Lack of confidence and not having a dedicated camera (causes me a little stress when time is tight) is the reason. I'm using my winter down time to practice-practice-practice!!! I take it now on every daily dog walk and film my little border collie - she's so embarrassed!!!!

I intend to get it out and use it at every single wedding next season!

Charles Newcomb January 6th, 2016 06:16 PM

Re: New Year's Resolution?

Aren't you glad we don't have to introduce ourselves to each other the way dogs do?

I don't do New Year resolutions because in my entire life I've never kept one.

Vince Pachiano January 6th, 2016 06:57 PM

My New Year's Resolution is for everyone else in the world to get their act together.
There are far too many people just going through life in an existence.

Imagine the UTOPIA if people could just give another 10% and stop eff-ing up.

;-)

Chris Harding January 6th, 2016 11:18 PM

Good idea Pete

The great Charles Papert posted a phrase once that inspired me as it was "Every time I use the stedicam I find out that I suck a little less" ...(and he is a master!!)

The more you use it, the easier it becomes and when the next wedding comes up you will find that you will see a huge improvement!

Maybe toss us a bit of footage once Spring arrives???

Chris

Noa Put January 7th, 2016 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1906335)
Lack of confidence and not having a dedicated camera

You definitely need a dedicated camera on a steadicam during weddings so it becomes a grab and go device.

Peter Rush January 7th, 2016 08:26 AM

That's my plan Noa - I'm getting the new A7s II and relegating my old one to my Merlin with a 16mm lens and wide adapter - I'll keep it on hand from the reception onwards and force myself to use it :)

Craig McKenna January 7th, 2016 05:33 PM

Not to point my camera at lasers. This results in a broken sensor.

Arthur Gannis January 7th, 2016 11:10 PM

To attach a toy water gun next to my camera. So anyone gets in front of me gets the squirt.

Peter Rush January 8th, 2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1906460)
Good idea Pete

The great Charles Papert posted a phrase once that inspired me as it was "Every time I use the stedicam I find out that I suck a little less" ...(and he is a master!!)

The more you use it, the easier it becomes and when the next wedding comes up you will find that you will see a huge improvement!

Maybe toss us a bit of footage once Spring arrives???

Chris

Not off to the best start - kids belting around at weddings always seem to be asking to be steadicam fodder so I thought I'd practice a little angled down running - oops!! No sympathy from the dog though!

Arthur Gannis January 8th, 2016 09:02 AM

Hey Peter, where did he bite you ?

Noa Put January 8th, 2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1906550)
To attach a toy water gun next to my camera. So anyone gets in front of me gets the squirt.

A taser is more effective + you get some great bloopers in that way.

David Barnett January 8th, 2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1906567)
A taser is more effective + you get some great bloopers in that way.

Wouldn't we all love to use it during that "Watch me whip... watch me nene" song ;)

Clive McLaughlin January 9th, 2016 09:34 AM

Wait... did you say 16mm AND wide angle adapter???

I find that they are great for a few 'wow' shots, but that they are also great for guest footage.

Just walk around the tables at the meal etc... If you are lucky.. people will wave or give a thumbs up. Brides love that stuff, and very easily, you have covered more of your timeline in edit!

Peter Rush January 9th, 2016 06:12 PM

I use the sony 16mm on the a7s which puts it into aps-c mode giving a fov equal to 24mm full frame - i like a little wider for dramatic effect so use the sony .75x adapter

Clive McLaughlin January 10th, 2016 01:15 PM

I understand!

I also have used the 16mm in aps-c mode, but no wide adapter. I recently bought the 28mm just for the f2 even though it's not as wide.

I'm finding though that the 16mm in apsc was performing better in terms of continuous autofocus.

I *think* it may be a little spoke of advantage of the a7rii actually. Totallyoff topic here, but I wonder if the way more focus points on the a7rii makes video autofocus much better.

You dont often see it tested on youtube, but more and more gimbal/steadycam users are dabbling with autofocus.

Still not quite there sometimes for me, but I'm persisting regardless!