DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Time to change our marketing tactics?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/530826-time-change-our-marketing-tactics.html)

Chris Harding January 7th, 2016 07:43 AM

Time to change our marketing tactics??

Hi Guys

At the end of November I dumped my 4 year relationship with our national wedding directory Easy Weddings .. I simply wasn't getting a decent return on my investment any more! The last booking I got from them was back in July so my payment of $110.00 a month seemed to be a lost cause. It certainly seems that brides are moving away from wedding directories and rather using social media for almost everything! Let's face it it's getting hard to even spot a young lady in the street any more that doesn't have an iPhone in her hand so I figured it would make sense to target my services rather thru social media than the old method. I must admit I do like the idea that you can customise a Facebook ad to it only reaches a specific gender, region and age group plus you can specify target words too like "wedding video" or "engagement"

Results are pretty good so far I must admit! In the first day (Thursday) I had an ad reach of close to 1400 targeted women and 8 came thru to my website and one booking already. That's in one working day! Cost per week for a campaign is $39.00 ATM but you can set it wherever you wish .. With the wedding directory when times were good I would have been lucky to get 1 bride go to my website a day and typical was around 15 -20 a MONTH

What are you guys using to get weddings

Noa Put January 7th, 2016 07:52 AM

Re: Time to change our marketing tactics??

Quote:

What are you guys using to get weddings
Nothing...:)

Eventough I now plan to just do a handful of weddings anymore every year all my bookings the past years came from photographers, weddingplanners and venues who recommended me, those where my main source of referrals, then came clients who's wedding I shot who have friends that get married afterwards so they usual end up with me as well and then people who find me through a google search or have seen my trailers that are shared by my clients on their own facebook.

I have not spend a cent on advertsing, I don't do wedding fares and I don't have a facebook account yet the past 3 years I could easily have send out a second videographer to cover the bookings I cannot accept.

Robert Benda January 7th, 2016 08:17 AM

I'm with you, Chris. Yesterday I started my first Facebook ad. I'm targeting women 22-34. I'm using my NYE wedding highlight that seems to be getting a good response.

The photographers swear by Facebook. Another group also work Instagram for a following.

I also want to improve my SEO. My old website that uses my name has been nothing but a redirect page for 3+ years and STILL does better in searches because it got linked to by 2 different online wedding magazines.

I also am working on my networking. Along with becoming more active in our local Shoot & Share group (lots of good photographers there), I'm deciding on a less wedding centered group to join. Maybe the Optimist Club, which does a lot of good charity work, so its a worthy cause.

I do use an online registry (WeddingWire), but I am in a unique spot. The price here isn't too bad ($650 for the year) and I get 2 listings (DJ and video) and use their contract services. So all I need is 2+ bookings from it and I"m happy.

Noa Put January 7th, 2016 08:25 AM

Don't underestimate the power of a trailer, it's a paid option in my case and the client advertises for you afterwards for free, according to my vimeo stats in average a trailer that gets shared on facebook gets viewed between 200 to 1000 times within the first 3 days and those are unique views from different locations.
Ofcourse not all these viewers are going to get married but even if it's a very small percentage it can end up in a booking. It's the best free form of advertising where all the work is done by the client.

Don Bloom January 7th, 2016 11:40 AM

Obviously you want to take what I say with a grain of salt since I haven't done a wedding or any other work for 2 years but I still know a few guys in the business and they've all gotten away from the big wedding sites and gone to FB and Instagram for the vast majority of their advertising. Not only is it cheaper but they say they get more and better saturation and more leads.
What do I know though they could be telling big lies. I think I'll go back to my TV and Bon-Bons 😀

Kyle Root January 7th, 2016 12:57 PM

I've spent hundreds (close to $1,000) on FB ads over the past couple years and haven't booked anything. Of course, I was doing it wrong initially by sending them to my FB Fan page instead of my website...

But still what I've found is, when I get good referrals from vendors, I booked about 95% of those gigs.

I am not paying for anything in 2016 and will see how it goes. So far, I'm getting a steady stream of leads from various places, mostly google searches right now at the first of the year.

Wedj.com has surprisingly been very good about sending me leads (free).

I'm on WW and TK too but not paying for it.

I did sign up for Yelp last week all to help with SEO.

David Barnett January 7th, 2016 01:34 PM

I finally signed up for WW last year & had modest results. I renewed for another year so I'll see how it goes. I need the marketing to grow but also I feel I'm ok on equipment upgrades for the year, so I don't see any big expenses there.

I too just joined FB ads. I had alot of views & clicks, and FB informs me I'm doing well (less than 90% of similar ad sets, who knows tho). I have a 2 week campaign at $5 a day. So it's a nominal investment to test it out, I have gotten 4 likes out of it, sadly my first 4 because I don't spam friends to like it nor have I asked brides to.

Overall I use a mix of WW, FB, CL Services offered, and General google search. I rank really well with desktop views (considering I'm in a large market), however my website isn't mobile friendly so it's low on mobile searches. That said I'm afraid to change it up because I still do good on desktop ranking so I don't wanna mess that up. I'll give it another year.

FB is new to me, but I've gotten a few inquiries recently, but 1 admitted seeing it on WW & 1 on CL. Overall I'd guesstimate my leads come from:

WeddingWire - 50%
Facebook - 25%
Craigslist - 15%
Rando/SEO - 10%

I wanted to pay heavy for one final year this year to see where I can take this. Then maybe next year ease off the reigns if I need to/want to/ or if it just isn't paying off.

Robert Benda January 7th, 2016 01:57 PM

David, Friendly FYI: not having a mobile ready site will now hurt you with Google SEO.

David Barnett January 7th, 2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Benda (Post 1906511)
David, Friendly FYI: not having a mobile ready site will now hurt you with Google SEO.

Technically, I think it's only on searches on a mobile. I still rank on page 1-2 on a desktop/laptop, which is a hard thing to risk giving up. Admittedly the millenials mostly use their cell phones, however I'm holding out hope for something important like a wedding vendor, they're sitting down searching somewhere (especially while at office/work).

Noa Put January 7th, 2016 02:24 PM

I read an article recently that google would give websites a lower ranking if their website was not mobile friendly.

David Barnett January 7th, 2016 03:38 PM

A thought just occured to me, does anyone ever market to venues? Maybe send a followup letter w/business cards after shooting there thanking them & inserting cards (hoping to get into some sort of preferred list)?

A bit time consuming, but if you drew up a sample draft letter it should be easy, and cheap. Not sure how effective it would be though.

Robert Benda January 7th, 2016 03:52 PM

I do an annual Xmas basket for one venue that sends a TON of business my way (and the manager has been there forever).

Other venues would get an email with a thank you and 'hey, your place is beautiful in this footage' here you go, feel free to use it to promote your facility if I had any that were remotely attractive to work in.

Noa Put January 7th, 2016 04:07 PM

I have one higher end venue that uses 2 of my trailers on their website (of weddings I shot at their location) to promote their wedding services, I gave it to them for free and that has lead to several bookings over the past years. They don't charge me any money for this either.

Clive McLaughlin January 10th, 2016 01:27 PM

Search Engine Optimisation!

By far the best place to invest your money in terms of getting bookings.

Well... I mean as long as your website and online content is good looking too!

How many pages do you think a bride will click through on their search results?

I spent a LOT of time researching and improving my site to gain favor with Google. Not everyone would have the knowledge to do the stuff yourself, but it could well be worth your while paying for it.

My interest (at a guess) is about 40% Google, 30% Facebook, 20% Referrals.

But... like I say - being seen is only part of the process. Impressing is just as important.

I pay probably a couple of £100 a year on facebook ads and boosts too, but no other money gets spent to bring in my clients. No wedding shows, no magazine ads, no (paid) web directories.

Robert Benda January 10th, 2016 02:19 PM

Social Media can be part of your SEO. Active posts, like a Facebook post that gets shares, likes, and, best of all, people clicking through to your website, all can help your Google value. It tells Google your website is worth while. Twitter shares can do the same thing (something like at least 10 clicks?)

Similarly, I'm ecstatic when a photog I worked with gets placed on an online bridal magazine that links to my site as a vendor. This helps because its an authority site (good reputation, about a relevant topic to your site, and thought you were worth while).

Today, as part of my SEO campaign, I posted a video on Facebook from last night's wedding. The best man's toast ... well, he rapped. I knew this would get likes and shares, so, I made the effort this morning, and had it posted before they even had their gift opening/brunch.

Jon Robertson January 13th, 2016 01:35 AM

I used to advertise in the print version of the Scottish Wedding Directory. However, in recent years I've see little return from that so have dropped the print ad in the last year and just have an online listing with them.

Most of my bookings now come from referrals such as previous couples, photographers, planners and also other videographers if they are already booked.

I dropped the ball a bit with the website over the last year or so and have paid for that in terms of google ranking. Started to address that at the end of last year and the site is creeping back up the rankings now. Made sure my blog post are properly SEO friendly which seems to have helped. I do need to get more onto the radar of venues and have started tagging them in the Facebook posts.

Facebook is a good medium for getting your work out there. Like Noa says, the play stats for a video can rocket into the 100's once a bride shares them on FB.

In regards to a mobile site, I signed up with Weebly to create my website. Love the fact you can make changes to your site online from any device and have the changes instantly applied to the site online. No more messing around with FTP uploads. They also produce a mobile version of the site. It's not perfect but it's effort free. The last I read, not having a mobile site only affects your ranking to those viewing on a mobile device but that could have changed

Robert Benda January 13th, 2016 08:51 PM

An update to my new tactics, taking the advice from here.

I cranked highlights out within days of the weddings. I also promoted the posts with Facebook ads. The idea is the social media stuff will, hopefully, also improve my website's SEO, eventually. So far, I've spent about $15.

The results are already starting to show. 3 new inquiries, one will book, one would have booked but I'm already taken. The other, I don't know yet.

Lot's of new eyeballs on my stuff, too

-My NYE highlight has been watched over 750 times
-The video of the Best Man rapping his toast from Saturday is at 563
-the latest highlight, from today, is already at 228

***in the time it took to type this, today's highlight went up 6 more. I'm excited.

Chris Harding January 14th, 2016 02:55 AM

Hi Rob

I was with the wedding directory Easy Weddings for 4 years and it was costing me $110.00 a month. My best result from them was 17 brides sent to my website in one month. I did a FaceBook ad targeting local brides last week ..it was a 7 day campaign and my ad reach was 7700 ... 69 brides went to my website and I have 5 potential bookings (they all want to book and interviews are set up but I only consider a wedding "booked" when the money is in the bank) That little campaign cost me $31.00 so it seems that most brides have migrated to FB and prefer to do all their business there!!

Steven Davis January 14th, 2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1906478)
Hi Guys

At the end of November I dumped my 4 year relationship with our national wedding directory Easy Weddings .. I simply wasn't getting a decent return on my investment any more!

I'm leaning towards dumping my weddingwire account. They've been doing some really odd 'non-vendor' stuff and my leads have all but dried up. I too started Facebook targeting in December. No bookings yet, but almost 400 click throughs.

I started Google Adwords yesterday, I'm a tad more leary of Adwords since it's more general. The most specific I was able to get was age. With FB, you can atleast do interests such as weddings, engagement etc.

I too agree, I think brides are moving away from wedding vendor sites. I know there has been an exodus from WW, not sure about the knot.

Steven Davis January 14th, 2016 01:04 PM

"I cranked highlights out within days of the weddings. "

Hmm, I'd have to change my workflow, but that's not a bad idea.

Steven Davis January 14th, 2016 01:08 PM

Hey Robert,

The highlight you crank out, is that the on you include, or is it a teaser of sorts?

Kyle Root January 14th, 2016 01:10 PM

This past year, I was able to crank out the highlights pretty quickly and get them online to FB timley... I even spent 10 hours the next day and got that one done less than 24 hours after the wedding. Granted it was just a music video though.

I plan to try to have my highlights w/ words done within 1 week this year.

For me, I'm trying to work harder of making good connections with venues, photographers, florists, and bridal shops... even offering to do free promo videos and photography work for them.

Robert Benda January 14th, 2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1906892)
That little campaign cost me $31.00 so it seems that most brides have migrated to FB and prefer to do all their business there!!

Nice. I never did Facebook because, when I was just a wedding DJ, it didn't make sense. Now, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner, for filming weddings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1906914)
Hey Robert,

The highlight you crank out, is that the on you include, or is it a teaser of sorts?

1 or 2 highlights and I always give them the entire ceremony, speeches, 1st dance, etc. on DVD/USB/digital download.

For highlights, I make one or two, depending on the package they book. For a half day (ceremony until during the dance) and they can get 1 highlight. For the entire day and they get two highlights.

My highlights are 4-8 minutes, and 12-20 minutes. I sell the longer one as the video they'll watch over and over again, while the 5'er is great for their friends on Facebook.

Exampes on my website to show the difference, if you really want: Wedding Videos | RNB Weddings by Robert Benda

The short highlight I posted yesterday at 11am ended up with over 300 views. I'm loving this new strategy. Last year, I'd take as long as 3 months before posting.

Steven Davis January 14th, 2016 02:00 PM

Thanks for the info Robert. Loved the color on your videos.

Leon Bailey January 14th, 2016 05:58 PM

Still trying to figure this thing out. I’ve advertised on a couple of wedding blogs, nothing! Done WW, nothing, Gigsalad, nothing, Wedj, nothing. TheKnot is far too expensive for me, so not going that route. I’ve done FB ads, but nothing. Probably spent close to 2k on it. Done Twitter ads, nothing. I have gotten inquiries from FB and Twitter, but they don’t respond after I contact them or want something extra cheap. I’d say all of my inquiries come from Google. I’m not on page 1, but page 2 for my area. All of them are pretty much budget brides who want something cheap. Still working on getting to page 1. I have reached out to wedding planners, most ignore. I have met with a few, but nothing comes out of it. Orlando is so over saturated with cheap videographers, photographers offering video, and all the vendors are very cliquey so they stick with who they know. People say to network, well, I go to network meetings and it’s the same thing, people talk to who they know and others brag about how much business they are doing. I follow up with people after, most ignore, some are nice, and some ask for something for free. I hate to sound like I am whining, but it just seems like maybe I am not cut out for the wedding industry lol. This is definitely my last year trying.

As for everyone else, SEO is everything. Using Social media is a must to. Don’t just use IG and link your FB and Twitter to it. Actually post on the different platforms unique stuff. On IG make 15 sec videos, make like 30 sec videos for Twitter, and make previews for FB so you’re always driving traffic to your website.

If anyone has questions about their website or anything, you can always ask away!

Chris Harding January 14th, 2016 06:48 PM

Hi Leon

Brides have migrated away from directories and things have changed too. When you advertise in a directory you are bundled with all the other videographers in your area so unless you are the best and spend the most money brides are unlikely to click on your website. I found that the majority of website clicks I was getting from directories were other videographers "checking me out"

FaceBook advertising needs to be carefully targeted though. I just allow ads to be distributed to my area only and limited to a 25mile radius ..I only target women between the ages of 20 to 35 (guys seldom book videographers) and avoid keywords like "photography" as that will target females 20 -35 who are photographers ..I don't want them ...keywords like "engaged" and "wedding" are a lot better.

Apart from your website you also need a FB page and need to keep it up to date so once you are found brides will keep coming back so weekly posts are important .. I even say on my page "This week we are doing a wedding at ......" When you have done a wedding share it with other vendors who were there ..I will always pop a still of the celebrant and couple or the lady bringing in the cake to the venue and put that on my page AND share it on the vendor's page too. It's all about networking and brides will be visiting vendors pages so you need to be on there too!! You are doing the vendor a favour by sharing your stuff and obviously yourself too!! It really does need to be an ongoing thing with FB so I make a habit posting during the morning coffee session to maintain a presence ..makes a huge difference.

Steven Davis January 14th, 2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon Bailey (Post 1906924)
Still trying to figure this thing out. I’ve advertised on a couple of wedding blogs, nothing! Done WW, nothing, Gigsalad, nothing, Wedj, nothing. TheKnot is far too expensive for me, so not going that route. I’ve done FB ads, but nothing. Probably spent close to 2k on it. Done Twitter ads, nothing. I have gotten inquiries from FB and Twitter, but they don’t respond after I contact them or want something extra cheap. I’d say all of my inquiries come from Google. I’m not on page 1, but page 2 for my area. All of them are pretty much budget brides who want something cheap. Still working on getting to page 1. I have reached out to wedding planners, most ignore. I have met with a few, but nothing comes out of it. Orlando is so over saturated with cheap videographers, photographers offering video, and all the vendors are very cliquey so they stick with who they know. People say to network, well, I go to network meetings and it’s the same thing, people talk to who they know and others brag about how much business they are doing. I follow up with people after, most ignore, some are nice, and some ask for something for free. I hate to sound like I am whining, but it just seems like maybe I am not cut out for the wedding industry lol. This is definitely my last year trying.

As for everyone else, SEO is everything. Using Social media is a must to. Don’t just use IG and link your FB and Twitter to it. Actually post on the different platforms unique stuff. On IG make 15 sec videos, make like 30 sec videos for Twitter, and make previews for FB so you’re always driving traffic to your website.

If anyone has questions about their website or anything, you can always ask away!

Leon, don't get to discouraged. The cold shoulder from other vendors unfortunately is something that happens everywhere. For over a decade I've tried to partner with others and its been no go. I think the industry is changing. I'm feeling like wedding vendor listings may be going to the wayside. The guy I admire around here does a lot of his stuff on social media, he's personally linked to his clients, which can be challenging because you have to say so, well personal.

So keep you head up bro.

Leon Bailey February 15th, 2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1906926)
Leon, don't get to discouraged. The cold shoulder from other vendors unfortunately is something that happens everywhere. For over a decade I've tried to partner with others and its been no go. I think the industry is changing. I'm feeling like wedding vendor listings may be going to the wayside. The guy I admire around here does a lot of his stuff on social media, he's personally linked to his clients, which can be challenging because you have to say so, well personal.

So keep you head up bro.

I'll keep on trying. Thank you for the encouragement! :)

Chris Harding February 15th, 2016 06:12 PM

Hey Leon
If you have a FB business page then every time you do a wedding make sure you post about it on your page and then make sure the vendors there are friends with you too. That way everything you post can be shared on your vendors time lines so brides that are looking for a celebrant will also spot your post about video ... I just do a post saying "We have a great wedding coming up this weekend and looking forward to working with John Smith the celebrant " (you have thrown John Smith a compliment so you can post and share this on HIS page now with a generic photo of the venue) It increases your reach by a massive amount!! .. I then will do the same after the wedding and share the highlight with vendors pages!!

David Barnett February 24th, 2016 06:15 PM

Just following up, I did a second short stint on FB, I figured Valentines weekend might be a good weekend to promote, and maybe reach some newly 'engaged' females aged 23-31 lol. It's been modest, admittedly I've received a TON more likes and FB page views. However it kinda sucks being out of season, would've probably (or will probably) work better when I'm uploading videos more often, as any likes could spread & snowball as 'friends of Likers' could see it.

On the other hand, I don't think I've gotten any leads out of it, so there's that:/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1906912)
I started Google Adwords yesterday, I'm a tad more leary of Adwords since it's more general. The most specific I was able to get was age. With FB, you can atleast do interests such as weddings, engagement etc.

Yes, but I've thought this thru tho. Facebook, you can target pretty specific (younger, female, area, interests etc), however even if they're getting married this year or next, they might not be looking for a videographer. Maybe they are set on not getting one, don't have the budget for it, or maybe they already have one or their cousin/best friend/co-worker is doing it for them etc... Whereas, with Google Adwords, there is intent, because I'd assume your buying ads for "Wedding Videographer" for your city or area. So that user is looking for a wedding videographer, whereas on Facebook they might not be.

I've heard Google Adwords gets expensive tho, not specific to videography but just overall. Still, I re-upped on Wedding Wire for another year but not a big fan of it, did ok last year, but for the amount I paid in for the ads I'm not sure it was a win.

Chris Harding February 25th, 2016 12:22 AM

Hi David

Regardless of the media you use I find that brides tend to look for suppliers at certain times of the month of the year and other times none of them look! I find that I might get 50-60 website clicks in one campaign and get no bookings and then the next one I get plenty of results. At an average of $35.00 a week I really don't mind as I have had enquiries from ads seen sometimes 3 weeks ago and $35 isn't going to break the bank ..it does get your name out there and it is targeted advertising so a small amount of money. With something like Wedding Wire (I assume you are listed with a group of other videographers in your area?) you already have competition and the chances of a bride clicking on you drop if your ad is down the page which doesn't happen on FB ... I have yet to see competitive ads appear on my timeline so you should be fairly exclusive when you appear on a brides timeline.

I find that it also helps my bookings a lot as I can network with other suppliers I work with so brides looking for a marriage celebrant will more than often see a post I have put on my timeline and then shared with the celebrant .. that might convince her to take a peek at video too ...and sharing costs nothing!!

I certainly don't regret dropping my wedding directory last year as leads were dwindling away to nothing and costing me a fortune!!

Kyle Root February 25th, 2016 07:11 AM

I'm still working on trying to build some new vendor relationships. There's this one really nice venue that I've been dying to try and get in with, and it has finally happened about a month ago, and so far they've sent me 1 referral.

The thing is, these are "higher end referrals" in my estimation and I like that because there is no haggling. It's like, "Who do we make the check out to, and how much?" lol Love it!

Over the past 2 years, I've spent almost $1600 on Facebook ads and had no tangible results. So I'm not doing that anymore.

If you're in America, you can check out the Belk Engagement show. I did 2 of them this month (2 weeks apart at different Belk Stores). I got 1 video booking off the first one and 2 photo gigs off the second. The good news, it's free for vendors to participate. The bad news is, there are on average 50-60 vendors.

There were 3 videographers at the last one and about 15 photographers.

Steven Davis February 25th, 2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1909728)
Still, I re-upped on Wedding Wire for another year but not a big fan of it, did ok last year, but for the amount I paid in for the ads I'm not sure it was a win.

After years of WW, I dropped them. It wasn't easy as the thousands I have invested seemed to pay off less and less each year. One major issue was the actual listing. Most companies listed above me weren't even in my area, one guy is in New York. I spent a couple of hours explaining my issues with WW, they didn't seem to make an effort to address them.

So we'll see if the WW drop does anything. It hasn't really paid for itself in a couple of years.

Kyle Root February 25th, 2016 07:20 AM

A friend of mine in Nashville dumped $2500 into WW for a 12 month plan that included 2 listings - one for video and one for photo. He got 0 bookings out of that.

We found out that when a bride sends an inquiry she is presented with a screen that shows like 6 other vendors/competitors as options to try. That just seems a little crazy to me. If I had a free listing, I could see that... but dumping over $2000, I'd expect some exclusivity at that point.

I'm on WW for free and get a handful of referrals a month. But never have booked any. I'm out of their budgets.

Roger Gunkel February 25th, 2016 06:15 PM

I seem to be in a minority when it comes to wedding shows, but I mentioned on another thread a couple of weeks ago about my favourite wedding show that I exhibited at on January 27th. It cost me less than 200GBP and as of today less than 4 weeks later, I have taken 9 confirmed and contracted weddings from it, with two more viewing appointments for next week. I see that as a pretty good return and I still have another 3 wedding shows over the next 7 weeks.

Roger