DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   New camera advice please. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531276-new-camera-advice-please.html)

Anthony McErlean February 29th, 2016 09:27 AM

New camera advice please.

I record mostly weddings with my PMW-320 camera and XS17X5.5BRM-M38 Lens
Was thinking of change to something smaller and lighter in weight.
I record onto SXS cards and use a NanoFlash for backup recording. (backup recording is a must for me)
The nano is nicely placed at the back of my camera and my radio mic is in the pocket of the portabrace jacket.

I know i could go for the X320 but although I don't use 4K yet, i think i would prefer a 4K camera.
What camera would you buy now that would allow me to use SxS cards and attach a nano? ...or is it time to move on from nano and SXS.

I was thinking along the lines of the new PXW-Z150.
I know it doesn't record onto SXS and attaching a nano and radio mic wont be so handy.

Would like to hear your thoughts please and thanks in advance.

Anthony McErlean March 21st, 2016 06:33 AM

Re: New camera advice please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1909987)
I was thinking along the lines of the new PXW-Z150.
I know it doesn't record onto SXS and attaching a nano and radio mic wont be so handy.

Would like to hear your thoughts please and thanks in advance.

Any thoughts on a new camera that would replace my PMW320 :)

James Manford March 21st, 2016 03:12 PM

Move on from Nano and SXS ... you're filming weddings.

There are plenty of DSLR options out there and S35 camcorders with interchangeable lenses.

Anthony McErlean March 21st, 2016 05:17 PM

Thanks James, I also have a GH4 but don't use it at weddings as often as I should.

Peter Rush March 22nd, 2016 03:07 AM

Anthony it depends on what look you are going for and the style of wedding film you wish to produce. I struggled when going from a traditional 3 chip gun-and-run style camcorder to using DSLR cameras but it was worth it in the end. I am much happier now that my wedding films look better than they ever did, and a whole world has opened up by using interchangeable lenses and the advantage of low light filming.

James Manford March 22nd, 2016 03:52 AM

Most of your competitors in this field will be using DSLR / Interchangeable lens camcorders. You need to be using an equivalent to be able to produce highlights / films with the same aesthetics.

Anthony McErlean March 22nd, 2016 05:14 AM

Thanks Peter and James.
I like the convenience of the DSLR, size, weight, unintrusive etc but like the ability to use SXS cards just for peace of mind, well, ...as peace of mind as it gets :) I know any card could let you down that's why I also like the backup of the Nano.

I love my GH4 and panasonic 42.5mm lens and the pictures it provides but don't have the confidence yet to use it as my main camera, I think not having backup recording is stopping me.

Thank you both again.

Peter Rush March 22nd, 2016 06:12 AM

I used to use a flash recorder (FMU-128) as well as the internal SD card on my Sony EA50 and it brought me piece of mind as it was a constant backup for all of the day's recordings.

Now I accept I might loose an occasional clip (It happened a coupe of times last year with my Sony A7s) because of a card or camera error, but for the ceremony and speeches now I use an Atomos Ninja Star purely as a backup device. If my A7s cams were dual card it would be ideal but they are not so this is the next best thing.

I'd struggle to use the Atomos for all day recording as I like a very small rig and the extra bulk/cable would slow me down, plus the media is hellish expensive!

There are many members of this forum who use the GH4 as a main camera - it just means taking the plunge and planning in a slightly different way.

Nigel Barker March 22nd, 2016 06:18 AM

You are one a of a dying breed using a proper grown up & expensive shoulder-mount ENG camera for wedding videos. Most people nowadays use DSLRs as they are cheaper & the 'cinematic' look is what sells. You will find it quite a wrench moving from a proper camcorder with 15x motor zoom lens to mucking about with multiple DSLRs with interchangeable lenses.

If you want backup recording then your options are either a proper camcorder with two card slots & dual recording (C100, C300, XC10, JVC GY-LS300 etc) or use a DSLR with an external recorder like an Atomos Ninja/Samurai or a Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle.

Anthony McErlean March 22nd, 2016 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1911187)
There are many members of this forum who use the GH4 as a main camera - it just means taking the plunge and planning in a slightly different way.

Thank you Peter, I was thinking of a Ninja 2 as backup.

..."planning in a slightly different way"...I think your right, I just need that extra shove :)

Thank you.

Chris Harding March 22nd, 2016 09:14 AM

Hi Anthony

I changed from shoulder mount cameras to the small form factor last year and yes, it does take getting used to!! However it's a dream being able to handhold a camera just a fraction of my Sony's weight and not get back home with what felt like a broken back so that is a huge plus! Even with a DIY fig rig with foam grips either side my Panny's with a shotgun tip the scales at a mere 1400 grams!! Do I miss the power zoom? absolutely yes ...it was great being able to do a tilt down with the SM camera and zoom into the knife during the cake cutting but I have learnt to live with that! If I need to, I can do a zoom in post without losing any IQ shooting in 4K

Does the audio side suck?? absolutely yes again ...I was so used to having two XLR channels for the wireless mics and DSLR's have one stupid 3.5mm channel BUT it's easy to fix ..just an XLR adapter under the camera and you are back to "proper audio"

Apart from those two minor hassles it was definitely worth the switch .. 5 axis stabilisation is better than a SM camera and if you are a hand held person (my second cam is totally handheld at weddings) and IQ is a LOT better too. You do get over the fact that you no longer have a big "professional looking" camera but I still get people trying to pose for a photo during guest interviews.

It's well worth the switch so take the leap!!

Anthony McErlean March 22nd, 2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1911196)
Hi Anthony

I changed from shoulder mount cameras to the small form factor last year and yes, it does take getting used to!! However it's a dream being able to handhold a camera just a fraction of my Sony's weight and not get back home with what felt like a broken back so that is a huge plus! Even with a DIY fig rig with foam grips either side my Panny's with a shotgun tip the scales at a mere 1400 grams!! Do I miss the power zoom? absolutely yes ...it was great being able to do a tilt down with the SM camera and zoom into the knife during the cake cutting but I have learnt to live with that! If I need to, I can do a zoom in post without losing any IQ shooting in 4K

Does the audio side suck?? absolutely yes again ...I was so used to having two XLR channels for the wireless mics and DSLR's have one stupid 3.5mm channel BUT it's easy to fix ..just an XLR adapter under the camera and you are back to "proper audio"

Apart from those two minor hassles it was definitely worth the switch .. 5 axis stabilisation is better than a SM camera and if you are a hand held person (my second cam is totally handheld at weddings) and IQ is a LOT better too. You do get over the fact that you no longer have a big "professional looking" camera but I still get people trying to pose for a photo during guest interviews.

It's well worth the switch so take the leap!!

That's exactly where I'm coming from Chris, 32+yrs with shoulder mounts but as you all said, its time to leave that all in the past and move to something different.

Thank you all for your advice :)

Noa Put March 22nd, 2016 10:09 AM

I think Anthony needs to be aware that a PXW-Z150 is not a lighter camera, compared to his PMW-320 it is but if he handholds the PXW-Z150 for an hour straight compared to shouldermounting the PMW-320 for the same time and he will know which camera "feels" heavier, so that is something to consider when changing to these handicam type of camera's, especially when you start to add external recorders or a videolight.

Anthony McErlean March 22nd, 2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1911203)
... if he handholds the PXW-Z150 for an hour straight compared to shouldermounting the PMW-320 for the same time and he will know which camera "feels" heavier, .

Thank you Noa, I was wondering about that as well.

I was going to keep an eye on the PXW-Z150 when released but was wondering just how heavy it might get after a prolonged period of time and as you say Noa, not to mention the add-ons .

Thank you.

Noa Put March 22nd, 2016 11:19 AM

There is no comparison to a real shouldercamera because all the weight is in your hands, I think a sony fs5 might be interesting because of it's lower weight but then the search starts for a decent performing lens and from what I read here that is not such an easy task. The canon c100 might be a better alternative because of it's dual pixel af which could make life easier keeping focus. Both camera's have dual recording slots.

Any larger sensor camera with a interchangeable lens is a bit of a challenge to use compared to a smaller sensor videocamera, I"m sure your PMW-320 is what a videocamera is supposed to look and function like but it's a beast, I think it's virtually impossible to take candid shots with that camera. :)

I"m shooting with a jvc gy-ls300, a camera no-one talks about :) but I like it, not perfect but a nice "allrounder" that matched up with a gh4 forms a perfect team to tackle every kind of wedding.