DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DSLR under $1,000 for beginner (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531338-dslr-under-1-000-beginner.html)

Rainer Listing March 7th, 2016 03:54 PM

Re: DSLR under $1,000 for beginner

At under $1000 a dedicated video camera no longer makes any sense. If Canon were to wake up and sell the XC10 at under $1000 (which in comparison with what's out there is all its worth) that could change. Maybe time to revisit my initial suggestion of an FZ1000. Think of it as a relatively fast 25-400mm equivalent lens with attached DSLR shape 4k video camera thrown in for free.

Slavik Boyechko March 7th, 2016 04:05 PM

The XC10 fits the bill in that it's super easy for beginners, has good auto features, while teaching DSLR manual photo/video basics that are transferable to future cameras. The excellent stabilization makes it easy to shoot handheld even at telephoto, which is nice for teens because monopods/tripods are super uncool, right?

Sadly, it's not $1000 - but if you go with a Canon dealer you can get it new for under the retail, and it includes a Cfast card and reader. I got mine for about $1750 from Pro Video & Tape out of Portland.

I also agree with the other suggestions on a Canon 70D/80D with 18-135 STM for a good mix of auto focus shooting while also teaching manual exposure and WB skills.

Noa Put March 7th, 2016 04:30 PM

In case of fixed lens hybrid camera the sony rx10 mark 1 or a panasonic fz1000 are much cheaper and better sub 1000 dollar camera choices. The rx10 as example is only 800 at b&h while the xc10 is 2K, the rx10 also has stabilisation and f2.8 lens throughout the zoomrange and many other features that make it an easy videocamera, also it can, like any other photocamera, unlike the xc10, shoot photos in raw. The only advantage the xc10 might have is 305 Mbps 4K but I don't want to tell a 16 year old she also needs a new pc to handle the codec. Not saying the xc10 is a bad camera, it's just a bad choice for a beginner on a budget.

Chris Barcellos March 7th, 2016 05:50 PM

If I was teaching a class in cinematography, and the students had only a grand to pay for a camera, I would recomend the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema, have them start with one of the cheap 12.5 f1.3 video cam lenses on ebay with a cmount adapter, I have bought a 12.5, a 25mm, and a 35mm, all for around $30 USD. Great for beginning film making, and for low light too.

The camera records in 4 different levels of .mov format files, and in raw two, assuming you spring for the more expensive recommended cards. The dynamic range is so much better for film making.

But this is not a still camera, and if she wants stills too, a DSLR looks cooler. But video image out the N series of Sony interchangeable non-dslr cameras is also something to consider, at a lower price.

Noa Put March 8th, 2016 02:32 AM

Quote:

I would recommend the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema
That's why I asked what she was planning to shoot, as long as there is no information on that it's just a guessing game what camera would be best suited for her.

Steve Burkett March 8th, 2016 03:14 AM

Definitely not the XC-10, way out of the price range, despite being an all-rounder. If a DSLR is preferred, then a Canon 70d would be a better choice than the budget canons. However as others have suggested, the FZ1000 is a good option starring out. I'm not sure a straight camcorder though perhaps an obvious choice for a beginner would be preferred if the interest is already there for a DSLR. The 70d or the FZ1000 would be a good start if looking to break into filming for the first time and were not under pressure to deliver results.

Herm Stork March 8th, 2016 10:49 AM

Thanks everyone.