DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Problems with Clients Trying to Play Blu-Ray Disk on Xbox? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531416-problems-clients-trying-play-blu-ray-disk-xbox.html)

Art Varga March 17th, 2016 04:48 PM

Problems with Clients Trying to Play Blu-Ray Disk on Xbox?

I have had two clients now reporting issues with Blu-Ray disks that don't play in their Xbox machines. In both cases they don't own a BR player as they use their Xbox for gaming and movies. I know you need to install the Bu-Ray app if you own an Xbox One. Is anyone aware of any other requirements?

Art

Chris Andrikakis March 17th, 2016 07:25 PM

Re: Problems with Clients Trying to Play Blu-Ray Disk on Xbox?

Maybe this?

"The Blu-ray player on the Xbox One console supports mastered Blu-ray discs."

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...ray-dvd-movies

Noa Put March 18th, 2016 02:07 AM

Which program did you use to make the blu-ray?

Nigel Barker March 18th, 2016 02:29 AM

I never had any complaints when supplying Blu-ray disks & when pushing the benefits I even used to joke with couples that if they didn't have a Blu-ray player then it would be a great excuse for the groom to buy a PS3 so they could watch their HD wedding video. I suspect any problems playing burned Blu-ray on PS3 are down to particular blanks &/or authoring software. I always used Adobe Encore.

Noa Put March 18th, 2016 02:33 AM

It's very rare I got a request for a blu-ray, I only do a few weddings every year now and have included blu-ray as a standard but I have to say it makes me nervous supplying to clients that don't have a blu-ray player yet, what if they buy one 2 years later to find out it don't play and then contact me?

I am using tmpgenc authoringworks.

Jeff Pulera March 18th, 2016 07:30 AM

A proper Blu-ray player is only like $60 in the US

Jeff

Fred Tims March 18th, 2016 08:07 AM

The media could possibly be the problem. The first generation of players and burners do not recognize LTH discs.

Chris Andrikakis March 18th, 2016 09:07 AM

I don't have an Xbox to test with, but it really seems that BD-Rs aren't supported. Here is a thread for adding that feature to the app (with a lot of impatient responses):

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...rned-bdr-discs

Roger Van Duyn March 18th, 2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1910968)
I have had two clients now reporting issues with Blu-Ray disks that don't play in their Xbox machines. In both cases they don't own a BR player as they use their Xbox for gaming and movies. I know you need to install the Bu-Ray app if you own an Xbox One. Is anyone aware of any other requirements?

Art

If it's an XBox 360 or older model, they won't play because the drive itself is just a DVD drive.

Art Varga March 18th, 2016 01:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses! I created the disks using Sony DVD Architect on BD-R media which has worked flawlessly for me. I'm not using the LTH variety as I've had previous issues with those. I guess I'll try the BD+R next and report back on the results.

-Art

Art Varga March 18th, 2016 04:44 PM

Ok- so now I see that there is no such thing as a BD+R so wondering what other format I might try. Chris- you mentioned the article stating the Xbox One accepts "Mastered" Blu-Ray disks. How would one go about mastering a disk? I suspect I'm going down a black hole trying to make this work but just want to explore all options before suggesting to my client that they go out and buy a standalone player.

-Art

Chris Andrikakis March 20th, 2016 03:47 AM

It means that the disc must be produced through the replication process using a glass master, instead of duplicated by using a burner. And companies that provide this service usually require a minimum order of 1000 discs. This was the case when I worked for a software publisher and we ordered mass quantities of CDs/DVDs. I assume this applies to BDs as well.

At this point, I think the XBOX One is not an option.

Art Varga March 20th, 2016 07:49 AM

Thanks Chris - that info puts this issue to bed for me. I'll let the client know they'll need to get a proper Blu-Ray player.

-Art