DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Hard Drive Failure - It does happen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531556-hard-drive-failure-does-happen.html)

Pete Cofrancesco April 15th, 2016 05:58 AM

Re: Hard Drive Failure - It does happen

I'm the same way I keep the original footage on the card until I'm done. FCPX unfortunately puts everything in one file (library) and that file grows to almost 300gb when transcoding to prores. Makes difficult to backup on any regular basis.

Nigel Barker April 15th, 2016 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1912723)
Hi Nigel,

I'll be honest, I know that I always create a new Library for every project that I create in FCPX, but once I optimise my footage, these Libraries become insane in size. When people mention the project file being backed up, I would obviously have the RAW footage as well (as that's already on two separate drives), so do you simply copy the project by selecting it, CMD + C to copy and paste into the Finder of the drive that you wish to use? I have looked online (not greatly), but I cannot find a simple solution for this. I think I've found a video, so I will watch that later. Thanks for giving me the impetus. I really do care about the client's footage as much as the next videographer, but I've never had the same respect for my own time - as long as the couple's footage is safe, I can sleep.

I haven't tried this with FCPX but in Premiere it's just the .prproj file (that's sort of an xml file with a list of all the in & out points & filters etc)

Danny O'Neill April 18th, 2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1912649)
Hi Danny!

Thanks for this informative post!!

Scary that you lost an entire system! That's why I'm moving towards a Thunderbolt 2 editing station, with a Synology server running as its back up, with both systems working in RAID 5.

Spending £500 for 10TB of offsite data seems expensive, but with two years cover, it's not so bad. I may look into adding iDrive, though it's another thing to eat into your profits.

10TB is a lot cheaper now. That setup was speced out a good few years ago now.

The off site backup is also used for live work. We have one at home and one in the office and the instant replication means if I decide I cant be bothered to trek into the office I can just work from home and have it all there ready to go.

For off site before we had the office we used to just use a couple of cheap 2TB USB drives.

Christopher Young April 18th, 2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel James (Post 1912184)
I have also found this little drive invaluable:

My Passport Wireless - Wi-Fi Mobile Storage

Hmm! Interesting. I wonder how these drives would go in the field backing up Sony FS7 XQD cards via Sony's XQD reader via the Passport's USB 3.0 port on the drive as it says:

"Ultra-fast USB 3.0
Quickly transfer large amounts of data to the drive using the ultra-fast USB 3.0 port."

I need to investigate further me thinks?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney