DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   TV company wishes to use my footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/531678-tv-company-wishes-use-my-footage.html)

Steve Bleasdale April 21st, 2016 11:22 AM

TV company wishes to use my footage

Hi guys any info would be great. I filmed a actresses wedding not long ago and a TV company are creating a episode containing some of my footage from her day for a TV series. I have all the rights but dont really wish to get money from it just good credits for my work shown. They are saying they will give me archive credits and are drawing up a license? Anyone explain or any other advise. Steve

Gary Huff April 21st, 2016 01:45 PM

Re: TV company wishes to use my footage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1913108)
dont really wish to get money from it just good credits for my work shown.

Why do you want good credits? For more money, right? Get what you think it is worth, because, frankly, the use of your footage this way isn't going to actually do much for you.

Noa Put April 21st, 2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale (Post 1913108)
Hi guys any info would be great. I filmed a actresses wedding not long ago and a TV company are creating a episode containing some of my footage from her day for a TV series. I have all the rights but dont really wish to get money from it just good credits for my work shown. They are saying they will give me archive credits and are drawing up a license? Anyone explain or any other advise. Steve

What are "archive" credits? Does that ever get shown at the end of the episode and if so, do you think anyone would even notice? Also, is the couple aware about this and have they agreed to this? You might have all the rights but you cannot sell their wedding footage to just anyone who's asking, I personally would charge money for it but I would also consult with the couple and have a written contract because they might want a piece of the pie as well.

I had a venue a few years back who wanted to use my trailer of a wedding I shot there as promotion to embed on their website, I contacted the couple about this first and they agreed to this but I had to re-edit the trailer and take out a few personal moments, then the couple called the venue and asked to see what they could get for this and they where offered a free meal in the venues 1 star restaurant :) I also had a contract made up so they couldn't come back to their decision.

Steve Bleasdale April 21st, 2016 02:33 PM

They contacted the couple first and they thought all the footage was theirs to use as they please but in fact it is mine so i told the TV company that. They have come back and said they would give me archived credits.. I have asked what that means and waiting for their response.

Noa Put April 21st, 2016 02:47 PM

I don't think those credits will do you any good or result into any booking, I do see in some reality tv shows that stores where they enter get shown by name so that usually means whatever the stars of the show buy there is free but if it's not that kind of exposure you get then I definitely would charge every single minute you spend on it + a price for your footage. The tv company is making money from it so you should too.

Craig McKenna April 21st, 2016 03:09 PM

Or ask that your company name is clearly shown on all clips shown in the TV programme. If it's a local couple, often people in the area will watch the programme. That way, you might get more weddings if they show up the dreamy shots etc. Just another idea, that costs them nothing, but does give you the chance of exposure.

Gary Huff April 21st, 2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1913125)
but does give you the chance of exposure.

If you want to play those odds, you need to head straight to Vegas and put it all on black!

Chris Medico April 21st, 2016 06:04 PM

If you are dealing with a network you should get at least $500.

Mike Watson April 21st, 2016 10:11 PM

How big is the audience of the show? Local? National?

Do you have the couple's blessing?

I would *not* do it without explicit permission from the couple, regardless of who "owns" it.

Without knowing anything about future rights and the contract terms and the audience size and how much of it they want to use (and how screwed they'd be if you won't give it to them), I think $500 is a decent ballpark price. I think there's a fair chance that their budget is $0, and I think there is a small chance that, if it's a national audience and they really need it, there could be $10k or more in it.

Matt Sharp April 21st, 2016 10:50 PM

I wouldn't give it away for free.

I've sold many clips to production companies for use in various types of shows. The minimum I charge is $500, and if it's on TV I get a credit at the end of the episode.

Steve Bleasdale April 22nd, 2016 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1913125)
Or ask that your company name is clearly shown on all clips shown in the TV programme. If it's a local couple, often people in the area will watch the programme. That way, you might get more weddings if they show up the dreamy shots etc. Just another idea, that costs them nothing, but does give you the chance of exposure.

Good point Craig

Steve Bleasdale April 22nd, 2016 01:42 AM

Great points guys thanks. I have gone back to the TV company and requested a call from someone to discuss a fee or better coverage of my name. The couple want to obviously do it because she is a actress trying to get back on the acting scene. The program is going to be called ITN - Weddings: Caught on Camera! by the way Steve

Donald McPherson April 22nd, 2016 05:11 AM

Why not just go for both options. Get paid and get credited. Credit costs the TV nothing.

Steve Bleasdale April 22nd, 2016 07:39 AM

They have come back with £500 and end credits, i am trying to get beginning credits also? Maybe? What you reckon guys.

Andy Wilkinson April 22nd, 2016 08:17 AM

Sounds like a fair deal to me Steve. £500 and credits is I think a fair sum but, as always, people will have different opinions.

I had some footage used on the BBC and ITV a while back and got credited (on the ITV stuff with my company name on screen as the footage was shown too). No payment though...but this did not bother me/I was more than happy. The footage was to help support an air ambulance charity that I regularly filming for (gratis) anyway.

However, in your case a payment of this sort of sum is what I would expect/be comfortable with.

Hope this helps a bit.