Panasonic gx80 for weddings - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 1st, 2016, 12:46 AM   #61
Major Player

Re: Panasonic gx80 for weddings

Do you dial the green down in camera or leave it until post?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 01:25 AM   #62
Inner Circle

Actually no :) I have become so used to Panasonic colors that beside whitebalancing and shooting in a natural preset (with contrast and saturation dialed a bit down) I don't make a other color corrections in post.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 02:26 AM   #63
Major Player

Haha - I have used the same preset as you more or less! I guess I'm going to have to try and get used to it! This little camera has made me become very interested in the GH5. If it has a bit better low light and much better sound they could be a great light weight combination. I love the little lenses, so lightweight although manual focus takes a while to get used to.
I have the 1.7 25mm, 1.7 42.5mm, 12-32mm kit and a SLR magic 1.6 12mm. They are all enjoyable to use! I find I use the 25mm the most.
Old August 1st, 2016, 03:50 AM   #64
Inner Circle

The size of the gx80 and little 42,5mm f1.7 lens has caused a guest at a wedding to come up to me asking if it's a 'special" camera because it's so small :)
I"m also waiting for a gh5 hoping it will have ibis, the onboard sound on the gh4 is a lot better then the gx80 so I would expect the gh5 to be similar. It's not on the same level as a camera with xlr and a shotgun but it's perfectly usable for ambient sound but also to record general chit chat during brideprep.
Low light on the GH4 is not like a c100 and I doubt the GH5 will be that much better, probably "clean" up to 6400 iso but I have found 6400 iso in combination with f1.7 lenses fast enough to handle any low light venue I have come across. You won't turn night into day but you can show it like you see it with your own eyes.
Old August 1st, 2016, 04:01 AM   #65
Major Player

From what I've read the GH5 will have a better processor which is likely to help low light. If they don't put in the wonderful IBIS then they are crazy!
Adding a metabones or even better, those nifty 0.95 lenses should overcome any low light problems.
Having a lighter camera really frees you up to become more creative!
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #66
Major Player

Noa, do you find you have to apply Neat video to many low light shots to clean up the noise? 3200 and 6400 iso?
Old August 7th, 2016, 05:32 AM   #67
Inner Circle

No, never do, the gx80 is cleaner then the gh4 at 6400 iso but is most likely achieving that by compressing the blacks a lot more, you can see more in the shadows on the gh4 but the noise is also more visible.
Old September 1st, 2016, 08:59 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Thought I"d give another update on using the gx80 at weddings, It's been said before that the gx80 sound is not good, it's usable if you have no other choice and for voices it's actually not that bad as it records these clear but it's the absence of low tones and especially the grinding noise in the background which in quiet spaces will make it sound much worse.

I had an issue recently at a wedding when I was shooting at the hairdresser, in below clip you can hear that the noise in the background suddenly became very loud and at the end of the clip you here how it disappears. I found this issue in about 4 clips all shot at that same time and after that it did not appear anymore.

Not sure what has triggered it but if it happens your sound recording is ruined for sure so for anyone shooting withe the camera and planning to use the sound, I would add a small audiorecorder on top so you at least have something more reliable even if it means syncing up later.

Another issue I have noticed which only happened 3 times so far and each time with a stabilized lens is that the stabilization acts up, I have noticed it once when I just had the camera:
and it did not appear again after that until last wedding where I got a jarring effect while I was holding the camera still and even weirder when I had a close up of the bride when she was brushing her hair, I was holding the camera still and the stabilization would move in the same way as her hand while she was brushing her hair. Never saw something like that, it almost looked like I was following her brush movements but it actually was the camera stabilization that was reacting to that movement, also only saw that once.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:27 AM   #69
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post

Another issue I have noticed which only happened 3 times so far and each time with a stabilized lens is that the stabilization acts up, I have noticed it once when I just had the camera:

and it did not appear again after that until last wedding where I got a jarring effect while I was holding the camera still and even weirder when I had a close up of the bride when she was brushing her hair, I was holding the camera still and the stabilization would move in the same way as her hand while she was brushing her hair. Never saw something like that, it almost looked like I was following her brush movements but it actually was the camera stabilization that was reacting to that movement, also only saw that once.
This seems to be a general problem with stabilization. I once shot flowers up close that were blowing gently in the wind. The stabilization detected that as camera movement and attempted to offset the movement. The resulting clips had the flower rock-solid still and the background swaying back and forth!
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #70
Major Player

I had 3 unimportant shots with weird IBIS movements. No idea why. Everything else with the IBIs has been great. The camera is unforgiving with exposure coming from a Canon C100. The sound amazes me as to how bad it can be! A sequence of shots from the same place and each with a different sound, some pick up things closer, other back ground music, etc. I have a simple rig with a Zoom H1 for moments when I need half decent sound.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #71
Inner Circle

I think it's safe to say that the ibis can act up at a few random times and that the sound recording can be very unreliable.
Do you mean with a unforgiving exposure that you can see small exposurejumps while turning the dial?
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:50 AM   #72
Major Player

Hi Noa, there are definitely jumps if I change the iris but my main problem is judging the exposure. The histogram seems to change a lot even though I'm filming the same scene. If I get the exposure right the images look great but if it's a bit off they quickly begin to suffer. With the C100 I have a lot of margin to correct exposure. Filming here in Madrid can be tough. Incredibly bright sunlight and really dark shadows. Lots of extreme contrast so having that flexibility is a bonus when filming live events like weddings. The lack of DR compared to the Canon is noticeable. It's quite a learning curve coming from a camera that has been specifically designed for video like the C100 which makes life very easy for the user. Manual focussing is also quite a lot harder on the GX85.
I'm very interested to see what the GH5 is like and whether it will take these cameras to the next level. I'm waiting to see if I get a XC10 to pair with the C100 or I go for a GH5 and GX85 combo next season.
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:54 AM   #73
Major Player

Noa, another thing. Your colours always look great on this camera and mine not quite as good. Do you have a secret? :)

Did you get the cheap batteries?
Old September 7th, 2016, 05:14 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
Hi Noa, there are definitely jumps if I change the iris but my main problem is judging the exposure. The histogram seems to change a lot even though I'm filming the same scene. If I get the exposure right the images look great but if it's a bit off they quickly begin to suffer. With the C100 I have a lot of margin to correct exposure. Filming here in Madrid can be tough. Incredibly bright sunlight and really dark shadows. Lots of extreme contrast so having that flexibility is a bonus when filming live events like weddings. The lack of DR compared to the Canon is noticeable. It's quite a learning curve coming from a camera that has been specifically designed for video like the C100 which makes life very easy for the user. Manual focussing is also quite a lot harder on the GX85.
I'm very interested to see what the GH5 is like and whether it will take these cameras to the next level. I'm waiting to see if I get a XC10 to pair with the C100 or I go for a GH5 and GX85 combo next season.
I use a combination of the histogram and the zebra's to determine if my exposure is right and this does give me good results, I still need to make adjustments in post but these are always very minor. The problem with the gx80 is that it compresses the blacks a lot and I already have dialed back contrast in camera for that reason, I also noticed that outside in very bright sun light exposing for the bright parts takes a lot of detail out of the shadows.

I never manual focus by using the lens ring, I always let the camera focus by pressing the shutterbutton halfway, here also it's rare I have out of focus shots.

I think you will be better of with a xc10 as prices will go down a bit because of the xc15 and I"m sure the images will match a lot better compared to a gh5. I prefer to shoot with camera's from the same brand as colormatching will be a lot easier, my sony's match pretty good with panasonics but my jvc ls300 has a bit different look.

I don't have any special secret for my color :) I shoot in natural setting with the contrast and saturation dialed down a bit, I do notice the biggest difference when I manually whitebalance, leaving it on auto never gives good results.
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #75
Major Player

My choice will be either a xc10 to go with the C100 or to change completely and go lightweight with the 2 Panasonics. A big choice awaits!

The autofocus on the panasonic is ok using the technique you mentioned. The only problem is that if it doesn't get it right straight away it hunts like crazy and can ruin vital shots.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques