DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   GoPro Hero 5 for Weddings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/533500-gopro-hero-5-weddings.html)

Harry Lender January 29th, 2017 04:16 PM

GoPro Hero 5 for Weddings

Hi everyone:
Searched this forum but could find anything one the GoPro Hero 5 for weddings. They look like great little cameras. What would the limitations, audio inputs for mike's, low light capabilities, abilities to mount on regular camera tripods etc. Any info you can supply or links to where I could get the info would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Harry

Roger Gunkel January 29th, 2017 04:59 PM

Re: GoPro Hero 5 for Weddings

Hi Harry,

I suppose it depends on how you would want to use it, but many here already use GoPro 2/3/4s for weddings, including me. I use them to get an overall wide angle that I can cut to, or a back view, sometimes a view from a much higher angle. I use a simple clamp mount to quickly set up and remove the camera, which allows me to put them almost anywhere. There have been numerous occasions when my main cameras have been blocked for various reasons and a GoPro shot has saved the scene. There are also occasions in the UK when a vicar will not allow a manned camera at the front of the church, but a GoPro can be discreetly hidden.

I thought about a GoPro 5 to add to the collection for it's 4K ability alongside my main 4K cams. However, there do seem to be quite a lot of adverse reviews on the GoPro 5 regarding reliability, so I am waiting to see if the reliability improves before getting one.

Roger

Mark Rosenzweig January 29th, 2017 05:13 PM

Check the Sony X3000 instead

Better resolution, much better low-light performance, and far better stabilization than the GoPro 5. Shoots 4K with optical stabilization.

Chris Harding January 29th, 2017 06:16 PM

I used to use them when we did traditional wedding shoots but I wouldn't use them as my main camera! They make an interesting angle if you put one high up on a light stand so you get a semi-aerial view of the bridal party Both Roger and I used to use the Chinese SJ4000 cameras which are way cheaper than the Hero and do a good job.

Once you start delving into the +$500 price bracket there is probably a lot better cameras available to use at weddings for just a tiny bit extra money with conventional lenses not just super-wide

Steve Burkett January 30th, 2017 02:26 AM

I was a big fan of the GoPro3, used it a lot. However the GoPro4 for me had issues. 4K recording would randomly stop. This plus my general dissatisfaction with the image ultimately lEd me to abandon the GoPro in my work. I did consider the GoPro5 but frankly it wasn't getting the best of reviews. It's quite expensive for a paper weight which my other GoPro have now become.

You can always spot GoPro footage in some TV shows, usually documentaries. That ultra wide angle look, fast shutter speeds that makes the footage look over sharp and video like. Indoors it turns to mush in the shadows. Not missed it to be honest.

Chris Harding January 30th, 2017 06:37 AM

Hey Steve

All I used to do at weddings was put it up front and high up and let it run. LIke you most times I simply never used the footage but it did come in useful once when a stupid photog stood in front of my main camera with her ample backside virtually touching the lens hood ..until I politely pointed out where she was standing and she moved, the action cam footage did cover the ceremony ..wasn't the best but better than the shot the main camera had! Yeah I found a lot of my Hero's often just froze up, either on startup or as soon as the file reached 2GB it never recorded at all! The SJ4000's were actually a lot more stable but I seldom use them now and rely on a 2nd cam to shoot cutaways or cover the main camera if some idiot stands in front of it! They however both did an awesome job underwater when we took a break in the Cocos Keeling islands and most of that was underwater!

Roger Gunkel January 30th, 2017 07:15 AM

I'm finding that I use my GoPro Hero3 and SJ cams much less than I did, as I can put the second FZ1000 on a clamp for a different angle, set it on wide and record 4k. The cropping in post gives me far better options than the GoPro/SJ cams.

Roger

Steve Burkett January 30th, 2017 01:04 PM

I agree the GoPro's were good safety camera, with a nice wide shot, but I have enough cameras now for use in such cases. I can see occasions where it could be useful to work with such cameras; placing it outside the church to catch Bridesmaids arrival if they're early and you happen to be in the church. Still I've fallen out of love with GoPro. The issues with their App, reliability in recording. They had a good market and they blew it. The drone they released last year should have put them back on track, but didn't.

I am still considering an action camera, maybe to place on the front or back of my car for the occasional following the Wedding car shots. Ideally one that is stabilised. Either that or get a much more reliable car rig and place say my GX80 with lens on it. Apart from this 1 use, I find GoPro and action cameras in general to be so wide it can look like CCTV footage when placed up high, especially as quality is not very consistent with my other cameras.

Robert Benda January 31st, 2017 07:38 AM

I have the Hero4 Black and will use it for some very random situations, were its small size is a bonus, but not as a main cam.

It really helped its usefulness, though, when I got a narrower lens put in (from Peau Productions). Their 3.37mm lens makes it a 19mm equivalent. A huge improvement.

/isn't the 5s stabilization just internal software based? That doesn't sound like a major benefit to me.