DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What no Photographer! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/533794-what-no-photographer.html)

David Banner March 31st, 2017 10:42 AM

Re: What no Photographer!

I didn't mean to sound like I had animosity towards photographers. I haven't had a conflict with any in over 20 years but...I always give them priority and work around them so I make it easy on them.
And I work around them sometimes blatantly getting in front of shots and going in close and all the rest.
I just deal with it and work around it.
I'm taller than they are so often I can shoot over them.

But if your company is doing both photos and videos then you can work better as a team, having a system to get it done smoothly. :)

David Banner March 31st, 2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1929845)
Hi David,

Not having to work around a photographer makes like so much easier. If we only have one wedding on, I work with my wife and we can both take video and photographs. So brides preps can be covered by my wife while I am setting up cameras for the ceremony or taking shots of the guys if they want it. She will also shoot the video during the group photos and arrange the dress, bouquets etc.

We are also both capable of working on the combined package solo, but not to be recommended unless you are very experienced at both and have a fast setup and breakdown system. Solo is a lot of pressure so we enjoy working together as it lightens the load. We also have total confidence in each other's video and photo work.

I had a conversation with a vicar today regarding a wedding in his church this coming Saturday. He is quite happy to have it videoed but is adamant that there will only be stills from the back and no flash. I will be at the front filming in 4K, so it will be another instance of stills from the video rather than none at all from the front and just Claire taking stills from the back.

Roger

Hi Roger. That sounds like a good team plan :) Thank you

Courtney Baynes April 9th, 2017 04:39 AM

Yesterday was my first time filming a wedding and I must say that the photographers there were very aggressive and obnoxious. It seemed like they were trying to control everything. I had to be a bit stern just to get some decent footage. I wouldn't mind not dealing with a photographer at a wedding. This experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Steven Shea April 9th, 2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney Baynes (Post 1930413)
Yesterday was my first time filming a wedding and I must say that the photographers there were very aggressive and obnoxious. It seemed like they were trying to control everything. I had to be a bit stern just to get some decent footage. I wouldn't mind not dealing with a photographer at a wedding. This experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

That's a drag. I can assure you there are plenty of pleasant ones out there though!

Chris Harding April 9th, 2017 07:12 PM

Sadly we get those now and again at weddings. Yesterday I did a live ceremony broadcast ceremony and they had their own photographer ... he never showed for the rehearsal and on the day I never saw him smile, talk to anyone or even greet anyone ...however he wasn't arrogant but did walk in front of my camera once (this was a mobile streaming setup so it's a dolly, tripod, audio and network stuff and hardly classed as "I didn't see your camera there" )

I find the guys that take the effort to greet you with a smile and are prepared to chat are usually the good ones. The arrogant ones are the ones that totally ignore the fact that it's a wedding and walk around with a honking great telephoto lens that's about 18" long then proceed to shoot a few feet away from the couple ..I never understood that but I'm sure it's all for show!!

Take the good with the bad but usually there are more good ones than bad ones!!