DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Is this one of the Best Wedding Videos? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/534082-one-best-wedding-videos.html)

Steve Burkett May 11th, 2017 12:00 PM

Is this one of the Best Wedding Videos?

So this year I have had 2 couples contact me and show me the below video as an example of what they'd like. Now I have to say, in 7 years of filming Weddings, this is only the third time I have had a video shown to me by a couple as an example of something they like. The fact that I have had 2 this year is unusual and the fact that both have referenced the same video seems a huge coincidence.

So I found myself wondering, were these 2 couples related or connected by friends, which apparently they're not. Or is this video really so damn good, that it's grabbed a lot of attention. It has certainly got a lot of views.

So is this video really the sort of thing we all need to aspire to?

Either way, I have now had to add Drone footage and letters from the Bride and Groom to each other as part of my service because of this video. Is anyone else finding their service is being dictated by clients because of other videos out there? I wonder if this is just a fluke or a growing trend.

Noa Put May 11th, 2017 12:40 PM

Re: Is this one of the Best Wedding Videos?

It has over 6 million views on youtube in a few months time so those who contacted you are probably one of those who happened to see it :) I at least never heard of them or seen the film, it looks like a 2 man team that shot the film based on how the vows where shot just before they kiss where you clearly see two angles of handheld camera's (maybe on a monopod)

The question is, what is the couple expecting, that you do this alone at half the price? I never had a question like this but if I would I"d refuse to accept the wedding, I don't copy other videographers style on request.

I recall long ago when Still-motion was a thing that videographers got questions like, "can you do still-motion style?" and Patrick (still motion owner) responded (I think it was on this forum) not to copy eachothers style but to make your own unique style that defines you and stick with that.

This film is also like typical style that I see a lot where they let the couple read out loud their love letters and/or have them say something personal right into the camera, then they can call it "story telling". Add some great vows and meaningful speeches, do some timeshifting in your edit and you can make something that resembles "cinema".

Where I live that hardly would work because it's rare they do loveletters here, they don't want to say personal stuff into the camera, the speeches and vows are often boring and half the time they won't allow me to place the trailer online for privacy reasons...

edit: Now I see why the film has so many views, the couple are vloggers with over a million subscribers, their subscribers probably shared further which made it go viral.

Chris Harding May 11th, 2017 07:25 PM

Hi Steve

This is the very reason why I did an about face on complicated weddings ...and probably the reason for the other post here about weddings going over the top.

It's tough for a solo shooter to try and do stuff where it's been shot with a full team ...I drew the line once drones started to become an essential part of weddings!

We just do simpler weddings now and don't try to compete with stuff we cannot handle ... not all brides are going to like your unique style but then again all bride won't need the fancy stuff either

Tony McGuire May 12th, 2017 03:34 AM

I know someone who was asked to do something like this video but he was wise and check to see if his public liability insurance and his is not coverd to fly a drone with in 50 yards of people or over a crowd of people. He also found out that if he the drone over a property and does not have writen consent even if the property owner asks him to do so, he is not covered if something happens.

Noa Put May 12th, 2017 06:08 AM

You would be surprised how many weddingvideographers don't have the necessary licence and approvals to use a drone but that doesn't make the difference in a film and they are certainly not essential to shoot weddings, the usage is often limited to a fly-over shot at the venue and there I don't see the added value, if you do a mulit-day wedding in Iceland then the landscape alone is worth buying a drone but how many times are you shooting on the other side of the world, and even there you have laws you have to follow.

Steve Burkett May 12th, 2017 07:55 AM

Fortunately for me someone I regularly work with has set up a Drone service and offered me his price list at the start of the year, just in case. Good timing as I was able to simply quote that to the 2 Brides asking for it. One who I filmed in April took me up on it; the other in June is considering. It does add a nice wow factor, though not essential in telling the story.

It's an interesting question as to whether I am being asked to copy someone else's style or deliver a type of video. How many here who make full length videos also offer a Highlights video - why because you wanted to, or because clients have asked for it. How much of our service is dictated by style and how much by market trends and client demands.

How do any of you here define your style if you were asked to do so. Is it simply down to a type of video, the words full length, cinematic and shortform suggest style but can cover a very broad meaning and hardly distinguishes us from other Videographers.

When presented with the above video, I don't see it so much as being asked to mimic another Videographer, anymore than if I was shown a full length video and asked to deliver a video like it. Some of the eye candy like Drone footage and gimbal shots are down to equipment used, but not style. Whilst the story telling structure of reading letters to each other is down to the style of the Wedding and couple in question rather than something forced on by the Videographer. Cultural differences also play a part.

I didn't appreciate the couple were famous vloggers. I confess to having little time for vlogging and vloggers in general - not my cup of tea. So much of this online trend has passed me by.

Noa Put May 12th, 2017 08:49 AM

Maybe I understood wrong but did the couple only wanted to know if you could add a drone shot like in the video they showed?

Steve Burkett May 12th, 2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1932137)
Maybe I understood wrong but did the couple only wanted to know if you could add a drone shot like in the video they showed?

No it was more, this is the sort of video they liked and wanted for themselves. In both cases, I got back and explained what was needed to pull of something similar (not identical of course) and quoted for the extra services needed. The one in April went for the extra for the Drone, but not the cameraman, whilst the one in June is still deciding on it all.

Both couples have chosen based on this video to do little letters to each other. Though the Groom for the one in June was going to do it as a surprise anyway, and then had to come clean when I approached the Bride about it and she sounded him out. Spoilt the surprise for her, but better for me, as I hate surprises at Weddings. I film better when I have an inkling of what's going on.

Paul R Johnson May 12th, 2017 11:47 AM

I guess you're in a market that moves rapidly with fashion. Every year (or maybe month) something new comes along. Those marryioke things came and seem to have died again, but realistically in my totally nonwedding world, every client comes with a new proposal, so it's pretty natural.

David Barnett May 12th, 2017 12:48 PM

lol, Maryoke's do seem a bit passe.

I'm sorta with Chris Harding where for the price point, I've chosen to pick & choose my offerings. Each year or two it's a new item comes around, some a standalone price, some require additional costs on the backend (new PC, editing software etc), HD, GoPro, Seadicam, Marryoke, Drones, Livestreaming, 4K etc. This mostly all since 2010.

I swear I think in 2014 I was asked if I shoot 4k, then a VERY new technology. I said I don't and received a response back about how I need to keep current with the changing times or something. I was like what?? I charge pretty low rates & I think they were lower back then.

Noa Put May 12th, 2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1932135)
It's an interesting question as to whether I am being asked to copy someone else's style or deliver a type of video. How many here who make full length videos also offer a Highlights video - why because you wanted to, or because clients have asked for it. How much of our service is dictated by style and how much by market trends and client demands.

Don't know about others by I make a 5min film, a 25min film and give the the full ceremony, speeches and acts by friends so they get it all, I also don't let the client choose what they get so it's all or nothing because it has been my experience that once they feel they are not missing out of anything they never complain about a film being too short, too long or that they are missing out on anything. So in my case it's based on years of experience delivering in different ways and trying to find one complete package that doesn't cause any complaints afterwards.

Quote:

How do any of you here define your style if you were asked to do so. Is it simply down to a type of video, the words full length, cinematic and shortform suggest style but can cover a very broad meaning and hardly distinguishes us from other Videographers.
I have a specific way of shooting and editing that is unique enough to separate myself from my competition in the Flemish part of Belgium, the first thing all my clients get to see are the trailers on my website and once they want to meet I will show them a 25 min version of a wedding that I have online with a password. Once they have seen that I don't have to explain what my style is because I rather show them. On my website I do describe my style as documentary with a hint of cinema :)

Quote:

When presented with the above video, I don't see it so much as being asked to mimic another Videographer, anymore than if I was shown a full length video and asked to deliver a video like it. Some of the eye candy like Drone footage and gimbal shots are down to equipment used, but not style. Whilst the story telling structure of reading letters to each other is down to the style of the Wedding and couple in question rather than something forced on by the Videographer. Cultural differences also play a part.
If they show you the video and tell you this is what we would like the I would be careful making any promises, adding a drone won't make much difference, there is a lot to consider where even the difference in look (full frame vs m4/3) could cause remarks afterward. Personally I would never accept such a request, they either take the way I shoot and edit or find someone else.

Noa Put May 12th, 2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1932144)
but realistically in my totally nonwedding world, every client comes with a new proposal, so it's pretty natural.

If you are talking about corporate shoots then this cannot be compared with weddings at all, both have totally different expectations and needs, that's why it wil be hard to find a weddingvideographer who would change styles on request of a client while for a corporate shoot it might be expected you would. A wedding couple picks a weddingvideographer based on the work they see on their website and the feeling it gives them while looking at your films while a company just wants to have a professional videographer who will help them to translate whatever they have in mind to film.

Steve Burkett May 12th, 2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1932144)
I guess you're in a market that moves rapidly with fashion. Every year (or maybe month) something new comes along. Those marryioke things came and seem to have died again, but realistically in my totally nonwedding world, every client comes with a new proposal, so it's pretty natural.

Marryoke's are no longer the latest craze, but demand isn't so easily pacified. My Business almost grew from Marryokes whereby I needed to do very little marketing as a result of demand. Last year saw an unexpected change and severe drop in demand that shook my complacency and forced me back to taking marketing more seriously. As a result of my efforts, bookings are better than they were in the Marryoke glory years and oddly enough many of my clients are now discovering Marryoke for the first time and loving it. So I am shooting more than I was last year, though maybe not as many as the glory years of a few years back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1932149)
So in my case it's based on years of experience delivering in different ways and trying to find one complete package that doesn't cause any complaints afterwards.

Once they have seen that I don't have to explain what my style is because I rather show them. On my website I do describe my style as documentary with a hint of cinema :)

Noa, you have more experience than I, so respect that I still have my own feet to find. When you reach the destination, you often forget the benefits held in the journey. Something like this is a positive experience for me when finding my own style. Running cheapy Weddings with clients almost too easy to satisfy, allows little room for growth or extending my Business to more profitable and creative results. So being handed such moments like these can shake me out of the doldrums and push me to see how far I can take my work. My style is still evolving. Perhaps when I find a style I am happy with, I'll find such enquiries unnecessary. Or maybe I am just one of those people that finds joy in pushing the boundaries and trying new things and styles. I've never been good at settling for anything, even myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1932149)
If they show you the video and tell you this is what we would like the I would be careful making any promises, adding a drone won't make much difference, there is a lot to consider where even the difference in look (full frame vs m4/3) could cause remarks afterward. Personally I would never accept such a request, they either take the way I shoot and edit or find someone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1932150)
If you are talking about corporate shoots then this cannot be compared with weddings at all, both have totally different expectations and needs, that's why it wil be hard to find a weddingvideographer who would change styles on request of a client while for a corporate shoot it might be expected you would. A wedding couple picks a weddingvideographer based on the work they see on their website and the feeling it gives them while looking at your films while a company just wants to have a professional videographer who will help them to translate whatever they have in mind to film.

Looking at the above quotes, there is almost a contradiction. Would Wedding clients really notice full frame vs micro 4/3's, Corporate maybe. They are more likely to specify cameras, colour palette and look. Wedding clients typically care more about how something makes them feel. I agree technique plays a part, but editing, colour matters more than fullframe.

To give you an idea as to how Wedding clients see the video I reference, this is how the client in the upcoming June Wedding put her request:

"I also really like the style of this video:

We are not religious but I like the way it has been filmed. Slow fade in and out with close up"

The other client from the April Wedding, focused on the letters, the aerial footage and how it showed the couple together and having moments laughing and smiling. She was quite insistent on capturing moments of them together laughing and smiling during the photo shoot. No mention of shallow depth of field or technique, just moments of emotion. The aerial footage was perhaps the only thing that stuck out in the technique side of things; no doubt because it is still quite new in Wedding videos.

I agree that trying to satisfy such requests, often without the resources and style to fulfil it carries risk of disappointment, but oddly enough I am use to it. When couples first came to me for Marryokes, it was because of someone elses video they have seen. I chose to tackle those requests by finding my own voice when adapting what others have done already. A good practise perhaps in tackling the demands of this little video.

Roger Gunkel May 12th, 2017 05:04 PM

I had a couple about 3 years back who gave me a copy of their friends wedding video and said that they wanted a video just like that and could I do it. I suggested that perhaps they should use their friend's videographer, but apparently the wedding was 400 miles away. So I watched the video, which was full of special effects and gimmicky transitions, Picture in Picture and split screen of the same shot in colour and black and white. I thought it was terrible, but suggesrted that I showed them one of my typical weddings before they made any decision.

Their response was quite surprising. They loved my video and booked me immediately, it seemed that their friend's wedding video was the first they had seen and must have given them a sort of video sugar rush!!! It's always interesting to see what others are offering and where current fashions are going. Sometimes new ideas can be useful and add a new depth to your product, but have faith in your own product before adding someone else's gimmicks.

Roger

Chris Harding May 12th, 2017 07:04 PM

Hi David

These things can go on forever so that's why I decided on a standard package without all the gimmicks and eye candy stuff ...Sure, some brides really want the drone footage and the stedicam shoot and 3 videographers hovering over her but over here what has happened is that everyone (in fact mostly photographers) have decided to do wedding video now and they are furiously in competition with each other and the only way they can fight their way to the top of the pile is offer new stuff. As you mention, every time you offer the newest, latest and greatest ..up goes the cost and the price has to follow if you want to make a profit. I actually have had a bride who sent me someone's video and said "this is what we want you to do" ... When asked why not book the original videographer she mentioned "Oh they are MUCH too expensive"

I have created a nice little niche market and I'm sticking with it instead of continually buying new stuff!!