DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   remote camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/534241-remote-camera.html)

Pete Cofrancesco June 12th, 2017 01:49 PM

remote camera

Looking at small wide angle camera options for live events (weddings, concerts, etc) to provide an alternative angle that's unmanned.

I got a chinese version of the gopro a few years ago despite its good reviews at the time its junk.

My current list is:
1. GoPro
2. Sony fdr x3000
3. Mirrorless camera.

I've read the x3000 performs better in low light than gopro but no built in display. Mirror less cameras have more features such as zoom lens only issue is battery life and 29 min limit. Could go used GH4 although with lens price climbs...

Nate Haustein June 12th, 2017 03:40 PM

Re: remote camera

I've been using a Sony RX10ii with an external USB battery and recording time hack. Works like a charm for about $800 used, 4K and all. It records until the 128GB card runs out - about 3 hours.

John Nantz June 12th, 2017 05:26 PM

Pete - good thread! Getting an action cam to supplement the AX53 has been on my "To Do" list but I haven't got past the selection stage yet and the summer is disappearing fast. The Sony models, such as the X3000, is what I was homing in on before becoming distracted by other things that moved higher up the priority list. The Balanced Optical Steady Shot (BOSS) is a main attraction.

Sony action cam web page: https://www.sony.net/Products/action...ras/FDR-X3000/

On the accessory list (for whatever cam) would be weather protection (not underwater, just something to protect the cam from salt spray, and something to mount the cam with (clamp, suction cup, that sort of thing).

Somewhat of a plus, besides using it in adverse environmental conditions (deck of sailboat), would be as a somewhat incognito or semi-candid cam in people gatherings, so people don't clam up because they know they're being video'ed. A little cam wouldn't scare them so much.

Really looking for feedback to your post.

Chris Harding June 12th, 2017 07:23 PM

Hi Pete

Was that camera the SJ4000? They have brought out new ones since with way better sensors and Panasonic chipsets and they work pretty darn well. I still have two SJ4000's but use them only for underwater shoots now but I did do lots of weddings with them. Those wide angle cameras work best if you put them up in the air so you get a semi aerial shot at events. The new one is 4K and worth a look at SJCAM Official Website ? Empower Your Dreams with an Action Cam

Pete Cofrancesco June 12th, 2017 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah it's the SJ4000. I got it a couple of years ago and used it once. A month back I used it to film an indoor concert and the lighting was ok and it looked awful luckily I wasn't depending on it.
I attached a still from my UX90 and from the sj4000 to show you what I mean. I'll never use it again.

Chris Harding June 12th, 2017 09:20 PM

Hey Pete

Yeah indoors they simply don't work at all .... so if you are doing indoor events I really would leave action cams alone! Get something that has reasonable glass and good auto settings since it will be unmanned ...My Panasonic FZ2500 was awesome indoors and has no record limit either and Leica optics ..worth a look! I'm only using the FZ1000's now so those are the same but have a record limit of 29 minutes which is no good for you...however these bridge cameras are very good in low light

Nick Zentena June 12th, 2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1933286)

I've read the x3000 performs better in low light than gopro but no built in display. .

Why would you need a built in display on a remote camera? The Sony action cams can be controlled from your smartphone

If IIRC it's the same app that controls the AX53

Pete Cofrancesco June 12th, 2017 10:43 PM

I've read complaints of the range and reliability of the x3000 remote app.

For run n gun best to have both. Nothing beats looking at the camera's lcd to frame up a shot, hit record and be on your way.

Donald McPherson June 13th, 2017 12:01 AM

If you detest the sj4000. I have not tried this. And you need to afford the loss. But you could try the lens hack. Such as this.

Nick Zentena June 13th, 2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1933317)
I've read complaints of the range and reliability of the x3000 remote app.

For run n gun best to have both. Nothing beats looking at the camera's lcd to frame up a shot, hit record and be on your way.

If you're close enough to see the LCD I don't think there is a range problem.

Steven Digges June 18th, 2017 11:28 AM

I bought the Sony FDR X3000 and I'm glad I did. The BOSS stabilization is incredible. You can shoot with it handheld. The vehicle mounted footage looks great too.

I have however, complained about the connectivity with the remote LCD. It is not a distance issue, It just does not connect or stay connected every time you want it to. It acts like the signal is weak even if its not. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes not. I don't think I would buy this accessory again.

Everything works very well with my Android phone so I don't really need the LCD remote.

I have all of the usual cheap accessory gadgets for it but not the most important one. I am going to get this weird finger hole grip Sony makes for it. My LCD mounts on it too and you can shoot handheld footage holding it like a coffee cup.

I highly recommend this camera...

Steve

Bryan Quarrie June 19th, 2017 03:59 AM

I have recently been using an AX100, Ax53 and X3000 in my shots as well. The x3000 in particular was a "maiden voyage" for me as i've heard elsewhere that it would overheat after 30 mins approx depending on recording mode and ambient temperature. So far I haven't had the camera overheat yet.

Regarding the Sony Playmemories app, I primarily use it to monitor my action cams only (typically I would use up to 5 in a concert shoot, and monitor all of the cameras on my Samsung Tab A). The reception is usually good, but then I would use them indoors, with distances varying between 50 to 100 feet between the cameras. I have on a few occasions had drop-outs, but restarting the application on my tablet resolves that to an extent.

This clip is a small segment of a 2.5 hour shoot that I did in my church; AX100 was the main cam, shot on a Manfrotto tripod at the back of the hall, the ax53 also on a tripod but used for mid-close shots and placed near the ax100, and the x3000 placed at the back of the stage but facing the audience.

All were recording at 1080p, XaVCs mode at 50p (converted for YouTube at 25p). The sound was captured using the XLR-K2M adapter on the msin cam (AX100) with the shotgun mic included with it (unfortunately due to the church's mixer's design, I couldn't get a direct feed from the mixer to the XLR adapter).

No colour correction was used whilst editing the footage, so the ambient lighting is what it is, unfortunately.

I've recently did another shoot with all cameras recording at 4K25p, 100 mb/s. I'll put them up later.

Regards,

Bryan

Steven Digges June 19th, 2017 08:08 PM

I just put a sample from my FDR X3000 in the Micro/POV forum. There is several samples in that section from others too.

Kind Regards,

Steve

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-po...ml#post1933627

Bryan Quarrie June 20th, 2017 12:22 AM

That's great, I'll check it out.