DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Equipment question AX100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/534348-equipment-question-ax100.html)

Donald McPherson July 8th, 2017 01:02 PM

Re: Equipment question AX100?

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-alpha-hack/

Dave Blackhurst July 8th, 2017 03:50 PM

As several have posted, open memories tweak (hack) works to bypass the 29 minute limit on SONY... it's not hard to install, and has worked fine for my RX's - the RX100M4/5 still overheats too rapidly for long form uses in 4K mode due to it's tiny size (1080p seems OK as it generates less heat), but the RX10M2/M3 run happily without issue. I don't think the hack will work on the first RX10 version.... the RX10M2 and M3 offer some interesting options though.

Apparently Panny already dropped that silly clip limit "feature" on the FZ2500? I've been tempted to pick one up, but my forays into the Panasonic lines have been less than satisfying... and I've stuck with Sonys.

Once you spend a little time with the different form factor, a camera is a camera for the most part, and to shoot 4K you need to be using manual settings for best results anyway. I shot stills with my AX100 several times, and of course video with my RX's - in the end I shoot more with the RX's, just because the Sensor/processor tech has continued to update while "Handycam" has withered away on the vine....

The AX100 was a breakthrough camera, still very valid for what it is and does... unfortunately, I fear the "breakthrough" was into a market now entirely dominated by little candy bars that do everything, including take the occasional phone call... I see even "RED" is now entering that "market"... strange days....

John Nantz July 8th, 2017 04:18 PM

Phil - (and anyone else): Why not have two cameras for for the wife’s work, one being the current AX100 camcorder (which you already own and are familiar with) and the second being a camera? Use the AX100 when the light is good then when it goes down switch over to a camera.

With the different lighting conditions, brighter earlier in the day and darker in the evening, it wouldn’t be quite so important to match the look, and, particularly in the winter months, one would be indoors so a camera would be easier to use when moving around the room(s).

Just thinking.

Disclaimer: Being a little biased, I’d hate to give up the AX100.
@ Dave: speaking of candy bars, I find I use mine every so often because it's usually readily available in my pocket, and yes, it's a real sweet iPhone.

Phil Stanley July 8th, 2017 06:04 PM

Thanks to everyone for all of your input

I had never planned to get rid of the AX100, but wanted to see if there was an upgrade or something that competes with it but giving better low light performance with the same form factor. It seems I will either have to spend several thousand pounds on a pro camcorder or settle for a Bridge/mirrorless option, which of course are very good but without the ease of use of the AX100.

Nigel Barker July 11th, 2017 12:11 AM

The FZ1000 is a good low cost 1" sensor alternative to the RX10M2 or RX10M3. It may be an advantage (or not) that in video mode the 35mm lens equivalent is 37 - 592mm so you lose out on the wide end but gain on the telephoto.

I gave up doing video & photography professionally three years ago & sold all my Canon DSLR gear. Now I shoot mainly stills for fun I find the 1" sensor cameras give just the right balance between convenience, portability & image quality. I use both an RX10M2 & an FZ1000. They each have their advantages although I am seriously considering selling them both & buying an RX10M3 although on past performance I am more likely just to end up with all three:-)

Phil Stanley July 11th, 2017 02:23 PM

Thanks Nigel
The wide end is concerning otherwise I would certainly consider the FZ.
The RX10 is more to my liking I thinkmbut would prefer the MK2 with constant 2.8 aperture.

Nigel Barker July 13th, 2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Stanley (Post 1934315)
Thanks Nigel
The wide end is concerning otherwise I would certainly consider the FZ.
The RX10 is more to my liking I thinkmbut would prefer the MK2 with constant 2.8 aperture.

I believe that the RX10M3 operates at constant F/2.4 over at least the 24-200mm range of the RX10M2. The RX10M3 operates over an amazing 24-600mm equivalent so it's unsurprising that there is some compromise with the smaller aperture at the long end. One advantage of the RX10M2 is that it is cheaper than the RX10M3. Here in the UK the RX10M3 is about £1249 while the RX10M2 is £849. The FZ1000 is a real bargain at £529 while the FZ2000 is £999.

Phil Stanley July 14th, 2017 02:49 AM

Thanks Nigel

Has the FZ2000 got the same wide angle restrictions as the FZ1000?

I think I would be happy with either of these the FZ1000 for the price and the Sony RX10 mk111 for that huge range

Nigel Barker July 15th, 2017 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Stanley (Post 1934385)
Thanks Nigel

Has the FZ2000 got the same wide angle restrictions as the FZ1000?

I think I would be happy with either of these the FZ1000 for the price and the Sony RX10 mk111 for that huge range

The FZ2000 is pretty much the FZ1000 but with a 20x zoom lens & unlimited recording time. In 4K video it's a 36 - 720mm 35mm equivalent but if you shoot 1080p HD it's 25 - 500mm with OIS off & 27 - 540mm with OIS on.

The RX10M2 has a built in ND filter whereas the RX10M3 does not. The Sony models are weather proofed & feel more substantial in the hand while the FZ1000 (& presumably th FZ2000 although I have never held one) feels a bit 'plasticky'.

As you can see there there is no clear winner as they all have pros & cons but whichever you choose I think you will be happy with them. I am a big fan of the 1" sensor now as it gives a great compromise between small portable all-in-one cameras they need no lens swaps while still having decent image quality & low light performance. If I were shooting weddings today I would use all 1" sensor cameras probably the PXW-X70 with a 4K upgrade as this is the 'pro' version of the AX1000 with three control rings etc then I would probably use a couple of RX10M2s & a RX10M3 all with the unlimited recording hack.