DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DVD printers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/535304-dvd-printers.html)

Steve Bleasdale February 1st, 2018 03:42 PM

DVD printers

Probably been covered but I need a new boss DVD printer that is cost efficient and cheap to run and to buy.
My brilliant couple of old Epson R300 s have packed in plus i am sick of buying inks that seem to be obsolete. I have my own bespoke boxes for the dvds plus my usbs but still love to print on my glossy dvd discs. Any links for a modern DVD printer that is cheap and costs cheap to run. steve

Pete Cofrancesco February 1st, 2018 04:32 PM

Re: DVD printers

Canon PIXMA MX922

Steve Bleasdale February 1st, 2018 04:42 PM

Cheers Pete will have a gander!

David Barnett February 1st, 2018 09:20 PM

Just bought a Epson XP-640. Had a 630 model for a few years but ran into some infinite loop of Cartridge error/Replace cartridge/Check New Cartridge that wouldn't seem to fix itself. Bought new color & BW inks, replaced them as usual, heard the 'click' when snapping in, googled the error codes & read numerous forums etc.

I probably should've held out for tech support or wrote them thru social media however my patience & frustration set in and well, the old printer no longer works.

After swearing off Epson I went down to Best Buy & looked around. Knowing DVDs are becoming obsolete & few makers still make these, I searched far & wide:) I think there may have been a high end Canon or Brother or some mini-pro printer for $400 or something, so in the end I saw the new model of my 630. No complaints, at least not so far. I had general luck with the old one, I recall printing to envelopes being a pain though and a tedious process.

Printers are annoying complicated imho.

Taky Cheung February 2nd, 2018 01:51 AM

I am using Epson XP-620 that I bought few years ago using together with a CISS system. Ink cost is never any issue agian. I put all info together with templates you can download for DVD label, DVD and BluRay front insert.

Professional DVD and BluRay Production by Yourself | L.A. Color Pros Blog

Danny O'Neill February 2nd, 2018 04:33 AM

XP-640 here to. Replaced my R800 which just seemed to drink ink.

All good so far. Wireless and airprint. Ink seems to last a good while.

Good point is it uses 5 ink carts and they are all individual. So you only need to replace the one which is empty and not the whole lot.

Peter Parker February 2nd, 2018 04:41 AM

Steve, when you say your printer's "packed in", sin what way?

When the ink pad gets full, it will only allow you to to a "clean" cycle for about 3 or 4 times before it locks you out.

I've resurrected my aging R285 and CISS by cleaning the ink jets.

Let me know if you want details.

Peter

Noa Put February 2nd, 2018 05:28 AM

I"m using the epson xp-760 with a ciss system.

Steve Bleasdale February 2nd, 2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Parker (Post 1940834)
Steve, when you say your printer's "packed in", sin what way?

When the ink pad gets full, it will only allow you to to a "clean" cycle for about 3 or 4 times before it locks you out.

I've resurrected my aging R285 and CISS by cleaning the ink jets.

Let me know if you want details.

Peter

Hey Peter ye i have cleared the pads and reset and pressed the power button at the same time as stop and service button this cleans the whole lot and any inks stuck and resets the printer but to no avail. Think they are knackered had them for 10 years now printing.

Steve Bleasdale February 2nd, 2018 07:33 AM

Cheers guys looks like 640 760 good thanks.

Peter Parker February 2nd, 2018 03:00 PM

Before you spend your money, have a look here Printhead Hospital® - Print Head Cleaning Kits for Epson printers, Canon printers, Brother Printers, HP printers

It sorted my aging R285 out.

Peter

Steve Bleasdale February 3rd, 2018 03:37 AM

That worked Peter thanks a lot mate cheers

Peter Parker February 3rd, 2018 07:36 AM

Glad it worked for you. Everytime the printer does a "head clean" youd be surprised how much ink it uses, that's why the ink pads fill up and the sensor locks the printer.
I've got one of these to bypass the pads. Easy to fit, just remove the tube to the pads and connect to this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waste-Ink...item35e853b9e9

Have a look at "octoinkjet"

Peter

Steve Bleasdale February 3rd, 2018 08:36 AM

Brill thanks Peter, great stuff

Taky Cheung February 6th, 2018 02:12 AM

My tip for making the printer run longer is

If after a few head cleaning done, there are still missing lines on test print, Do not continue to clean head procedure. That will get the waste pad fill up quicker shorten the life of the printer. . Replace the entire CISS with the original ink cartridges from the printer. I have bought a new set of third party ink cartridges for this purpose and it works too. Do a few print jobs. Once the print out is consistent, replace it back by the CISS previously installed. It fixes the banding print out issue.

Pete Cofrancesco February 6th, 2018 07:24 AM

Inkjet printers by their design are susceptible to clogged heads that results in banding. I find if the printer isn’t used on a daily basis printing something that uses all the colors it increases the chances of a clog. I also believe dry air in winter and 3rd party ink are contributing factors. Cleaning cycles will only do so much.

I got the canon mx922 because the heads can be easily removed cleaned and if necessary replaced. Despite being able to remove the heads and soak them in a bowl of alcohol over night I’ve experienced limited success so after a few years when nothing works I buy new heads. I print hundreds of full color dvd and go through lots of ink. I really couldn’t afford using oem ink. I save close to $1,000 with 3rd party ink so even if it clogs more often it’s still worth it.

William Hohauser February 13th, 2018 11:39 AM

I've been thru the low cost DVD printer grinder recently and I ended up doing something that probably won't be applicable to everyone. I had a small Primera Auto-Printer for many years and if you are doing a lot of DVD disc printing, it's really worth it. Expensive but to not have to manually play with each disc is extremely helpful in terms of saving time. Now that I don't print as many discs anymore but still need the capability I researched low priced options.

A few years ago I discovered the Epson Artisan 725 and it was an excellent way to have a printer/scanner that could also print DVDs for only $100. The printing is excellent and the printer has a mechanized tray that you only had to drop the blank disk onto and then press a "go" command to print. Unfortunately the printer has been discontinued and the printers I purchased both developed hardware problems with the LED touch control panel that makes them unreliable for heavy usage. You can't continue disc printing if the control panel goes black or malfunctions.

So I moved "up" to an Epson 830. Unfortunately Epson no longer make an economy printer that has the mechanical tray so now we have to use a manual tray that adds several steps to the printing process for each disc. After a year of struggling with this printer (it has a number of strange quirks) it started to leak ink on the disks, ruining them. Researching the 830 online, it seems this ink leak is a common enough problem without a definitive solution. So I took the 830 home where I never do disc printing and purchased a Canon MX922 for the office.

The Canon MX922 is a really good all around scanner/printer and once you get the correct disc template (which is not the same as other Canon disc capable printers), it make great disc prints. Better than the Epson. However it is also a manual tray style DVD printer requiring several steps for each disc. Still frustrating for spoiled me. For example, the job I am doing this week I have to make two BluRays each of 30 different programs I edited. What did I do? I took the still working Epson 725s and print as many discs as I can with one and if it malfunctions, either wait a while after turning it off and then resume or turn on the second Epson 725 and continue.

I'll continue to use the Epson 725s until they completely fail or one of these companies gets around to providing a mechanized disc tray again.

Steve Bleasdale February 13th, 2018 12:34 PM

cheers william

Edgar Vasiluk October 26th, 2018 01:17 AM

Been a long time....
I use Canon ip7250 and I used to buy compatible inks from Amazon, as they are so cheap! But I noticed after an average of 6 month colours are disappearing from the prints, becoming totally unusable!

So for me, no more compatible inks, only original Canon inks.

I do offer custom DVD case and disc design with printing service. Quality is very important for me.
I have many clients from around the world including photographers and videographers.

P.S.

If you want to save time on production, then you are welcome to visit my shop: http://weddingfilmslondon.co.uk/shop/

Sounds like an advert ;))
Sorry