DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Adobe Encore - Looking for suggested alternatives (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/536944-adobe-encore-looking-suggested-alternatives.html)

Vince Baker August 12th, 2019 04:30 AM

Adobe Encore - Looking for suggested alternatives

Recently, Adobe for some reason have decided to remove the option to download the old version of Premiere Pro CS6 (which included Adobe Encore for DVD authoring) from the Creative Cloud platform.

I contacted them as I rebuilt one of our iMacs and needed to re-install. Their answer was that unless I had purchased CS6 in the past I could not have the media (even though if I did have the media, as I have a full creative cloud subscription I would be licensed)... So after lots of discussion, we arrived at the chicken and the egg scenario, in fact the last advice they gave me was "look for a reseller that may have some old CS6 licenses available" .... fantastic service for £50 month.

I have scoured the internet to look for the media download for Premiere Pro CS6 but to no avail. I was wondering if:

1. Anyone here have the media for CS6 Premiere Pro (Mac version, not windows) I don't need any license codes as I have that, just need the .DMG file.

2. Anyone know of a good alternative? I am happy to look at something else to author the DVD menus/build the ISOs but never really looked at anything as always used Adobe. (Again, needs to be Mac compatible).

Thanks

Andrew Smith August 12th, 2019 05:21 AM

Re: Adobe Encore - Looking for suggested alternatives

The huge irony here is that you never have these problems when it comes to obtaining pirated copies. Imagine that, the Adobe customer service being worse than software pirates. :-)

(FWIW,all my software has been purchased and is super-legit, including Win CS6 which I use to this day. Heck, back in the 1990s I even purchased a full copy of WinZip.)

Andrew

Christopher Young August 12th, 2019 07:40 AM

Adobe have screwed the pooch on this 'Old' software versions thing as they are being sued by Dolby for one for supplying software they no longer have licensing deals for. Heaps on the web about it. A couple of examples:

https://www.slashgear.com/adobe-crea...mess-13576505/

https://www.kitguru.net/channel/gene...sions-of-apps/

I have a Win licensed version and hell if I wish to use it I will. ELUA or not. It's not my fault that Adobe have screwed up with Dolby, which Encore uses for its DVD audio encodes.

Chris Young
Sydney

David Stoneburner August 13th, 2019 07:19 AM

Although I don't author DVDs anymore, I really like DVDLab by Mediachance. It looks like their latest version is DVDLabPro 2. I think it's still supported. It was always rock solid, easy to use and I had no problems with the authored DVDs.

Pete Cofrancesco August 13th, 2019 08:36 AM

I use DVD Studio Pro on the Mac unfortunately it can not be installed on anything newer than Yosemite and it’s only available on the used market. I am looking into running it inside of VMware emulator so I can update the OS.

Adobe is terrible my colleague recently complained about them dropping Encore and not being able to reinstall it after a refresh.

David Barnett August 13th, 2019 07:00 PM

I agree Adobe definitely ditched Encore a few years too early. I thought there was an issue about a 3rd party component was needed within Encore, & either the license expired or the company was bought out & the new owners no longer renewed the license or something. Then it was too costly to rewrite that compenent for such a small part of Premiere's user base. Mostly wedding & event videographers, but how many of us use the most current version of Premiere CC.

I did a few depositions last year which do not want menu's so I used TMPGEnc Authoring Works. It's ok but honestly I can't say I'm a fan of the interface. I never dove into Menu's on it, maybe you can build similar one's to Encore but seems better geared for burning a quick auto play style DVD. You could search Youtube if there's decent tutorials on building one. As a whole, it's stable, its just in no way based off Encore's design, original but unfortunately that a hinderance in a way. IMHO at least cause I didn't plan on using it for much.

Cary Knoop August 13th, 2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Baker (Post 1952274)
Recently, Adobe for some reason have decided to remove the option to download the old version of Premiere Pro CS6 (which included Adobe Encore for DVD authoring) from the Creative Cloud platform.

I contacted them as I rebuilt one of our iMacs and needed to re-install. Their answer was that unless I had purchased CS6 in the past I could not have the media (even though if I did have the media, as I have a full creative cloud subscription I would be licensed)... So after lots of discussion, we arrived at the chicken and the egg scenario, in fact the last advice they gave me was "look for a reseller that may have some old CS6 licenses available" .... fantastic service for £50 month.

I have scoured the internet to look for the media download for Premiere Pro CS6 but to no avail. I was wondering if:

1. Anyone here have the media for CS6 Premiere Pro (Mac version, not windows) I don't need any license codes as I have that, just need the .DMG file.

2. Anyone know of a good alternative? I am happy to look at something else to author the DVD menus/build the ISOs but never really looked at anything as always used Adobe. (Again, needs to be Mac compatible).

Thanks

Since you are asking for an alternative I wonder what is wrong by using good old USB sticks instead of DVDs?

Pete Cofrancesco August 14th, 2019 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1952349)
Since you are asking for an alternative I wonder what is wrong by using good old USB sticks instead of DVDs?

Because in event video the preferred method of distribution is still dvd. Parents especially moms who are the primary customer, want something simple they can play and navigate to the section their child is in. In short, you give the client what they want.

Vince Baker August 14th, 2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1952349)

Hi Cary,

Good point, USB would be a nice method but people still really like the physical form of DVD (works for grans and people with DVD players still) and still seems popular in the UK dance show market.

I have worked on a digital streaming option (we designed it ourselves) https://view.creative-films.net as alternative for those wanting HD and not DVD, it is slow going to move people across, sure we will get there but for the immediate future (next 3 years at least) we still need to deliver on DVD.

Thanks for the suggestions to all for other software.. appreciate you taking the time to advise.

Vince

Gerald Webb August 22nd, 2019 12:19 AM

I used to use Encore but DVD Studio Pro if way faster for me. YMMV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1952327)
I use DVD Studio Pro on the Mac unfortunately it can not be installed on anything newer than Yosemite and it’s only available on the used market. I am looking into running it inside of VMware emulator so I can update the OS.

FWIW I run a machine with Sierra just so I can run Studio Pro.
On Sierra you can run Final Cut 10.4 as well :)

Pete Cofrancesco August 22nd, 2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1952588)
I used to use Encore but DVD Studio Pro if way faster for me. YMMV.
FWIW I run a machine with Sierra just so I can run Studio Pro.
On Sierra you can run Final Cut 10.4 as well :)

I can’t remember the details and it could have been hardware related (2009 MacPro). One thing I do remember programs that never crashed started to do so on a regular basis. I quickly came to decision that I rather have an older stable system. Apple app store can see your hardware, if it deems it to be unsuitable either for your own good or for it’s own reason to encourage you to buy newer hardware, can make software, os, and updates unavailable.

John Nantz August 22nd, 2019 01:31 PM

Applications that are outdated due to newer operating systems are a pain. Files don't necessarily update properly. I've actually got files dating back to the Commodore 64 days that can't even be processed, Word 2.0 from the days of the 286 and 486, Win 98, then made the switch over to the Mac. Now have a MacBook White running Snow Leopard, a MacPro running Yosemite, another Mac Pro with Sierra, and a MBP with Mojave.

Some of the newer operating systems can convert Word *.doc or the old Excel files, ditto Pages and Numbers files, but not necessarily well enough. The video files also have issues so hanging onto the old computers works. Besides, there are legacy applications that can't be migrated.

It's just plain easier to just leave the old files on their computers than it is to deal with moving them. Can't sell the old computers anyway. And, it seems there is never enough time to go through the files to clean house. I do a bit here and there when I can but it's hard to say ahead of the deluge of new files.

Ian Skurrie December 16th, 2019 11:14 PM

Hi I have encore program installation file from an old CS6, if you want that please reply and I will try and arrange it off list.

Ian

Andrew Smith December 17th, 2019 12:03 AM

The version for the Mac, Ian? This sounds incredibly promising.

Andrew

Alan Craven January 13th, 2020 08:25 AM

All CS6 downloads, Windows and MAC are still available from here:

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6...oad-links.html

Take care to follow the detailed instructions exactly or you will not be able to download the files