Where do I find a power adapter for my camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Where do I find a power adapter for my camera?

I’ve got an outdoor dance recital next month and currently they say no a/c and performances will run all day. I need to look into a way to power my Panasonic UX90 and Atomos. I was thinking of hanging an Anton Bauer battery from the tripod. The biggest obstacle is how do find and adapter cable for my camera? The Atomos has standard np batteries slots so that’s easy to find an adapter.

I also thought of another solution that seems a lot easier, portable ac power solution. No adapters, mounts, relatively inexpensive
https://www.rockpals.com/products/ro...SABEgJLc_D_BwE
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Where do I find a power adapter for my camera?

I believe the adapter you need is this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

If you already have the A-B battery, the adapter cable will be cheaper than the AC power supply you found. (And more efficient since it's just a DC switching regulator, rather than going from 12VDC -> 120VAC -> 12VDC -> camera.)

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks greg, I saw that but wasn’t sure if all Panasonics use the same plug that’s for the eva1 and dam is that expensive plus I need the atomos adapter, ab battery and charger.
Old June 1st, 2020, 05:40 PM   #4
Wrangler

Have had a GoalZero Yeti 400 for several years now and it's great - approximatley 400 watt-hours, so (theoretically it would run a 100 watt load for 4 hours. Got mine on sale at REI.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/last-c...power-station/

They have all kinds of other portable power packs, with clean sine-wave power. You can also connect solar panels and daisy-chain the larger power packs (like mine)

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portable-power/

I use it primarily for our fun family "concerts" at a little stage out in the woods on my property. The Yeti 400 runs my Zoom F8, with 6 mics, effects processor, iPad and a pair of small stage monitors for over 4 hours. Not the cheapest solution, but well-made with a user-replaceable battery. I have had a couple inexpensive units (more like the one in your link) and they only lasted a few years, were discontinued by then and not easily taken apart to replace the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do I find a power adapter for my camera?-soundboard.png  
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Neat setup good to know they work. Job looks like it might fall through they want 9hrs filmed outside. Good to know my options though.
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Dance recital, will there be amplified music? Wouldn't that require AC power? Could you tap into that?
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 09:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Thanks greg, I saw that but wasn’t sure if all Panasonics use the same plug that’s for the eva1 and dam is that expensive plus I need the atomos adapter, ab battery and charger.
The more recent Panasonic cameras (UX/CX series plus the EVA1 and DVX200) use the same 12VDC external power connector and also the same model SAE0011 AC adapter. Earlier models do not, so you need to be careful and check the connectors and specifications.

But you're right, the A-B style batteries are a substantial chunk of change and not worth buying for this one project alone. (They're versatile and nice to have around, though, if you can stomach the expense of battery plates, adapters and chargers for all your various gear.)

It's a little primitive, but a 12V 18 AH gel cell, or car battery, wired directly to a matching DC plug would probably work and could run for days. An inline fuse of around 2 amps is strongly advised. I am NOT recommending this.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 02:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Greg good know. I have a modern ux camera so then that connector would work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano View Post
Dance recital, will there be amplified music? Wouldn't that require AC power? Could you tap into that?
They’re still planning it out, last email they said they’ll be using a generator. It would need to be far enough away that the noise isn’t an issue. But I’d agree that would be the simplest solution.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; June 2nd, 2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old June 9th, 2020, 02:25 PM   #9
Major Player

Can you hire a few of the batteries for the one-off shoot?

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques