DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Music? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/55132-wedding-music.html)

Jonathan Jones November 29th, 2005 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
I know there are some halfwits who blatently dub Celine Dion all over their wedding highlights and pop it on the web for all to see,

tom.

Wow, Tom...you nailed it! I had to laugh, because you summarized it so perfectly...that is exactly what I have seen examples of, what I had in my head while I was typing, and you described it to a T. You got a good laugh out of me.. Right on.
-Jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mathew Bonner
show us these hints you have noted. If you can't then why say it?

Ummm, okay....whatever. I didn't realize I was bringing up a point that was being hotly debated. To me, it seemed like some pretty decent info to be aware of, so..no need to get infantile. And just for your satisfaction, I cannot show these 'hints' and make it worth my time.

Over the past year, I spent countless hours scouring the net, these forums, numerous indie forums, and music forums, reading posts and following threads, many of which included contributions by long-standing and well-respected members of these forums on dvinfo.net. I read information from musicians, videographers, producers, and lawyers. I printed a bunch of info out and studied it to learn more about the issues as it helped me devise a business plan and know the 'safe' limitations of my field. 'Safe' being restricted by a publishing industry that does not yet have a viable compass.

When I got through the rubble and knew what I felt I needed to know, I cleaned house and didn't save what I printed out.

So, David, if you feel I posted out of line, or 'chicken littled' all over the forum, I am sorry. You can either choose to use the all-powerful search feature and enjoy reading some of the more recent, and sometimes well-informed posts in these forums, ignore the issue altogether (as it is likely that nothing will change in the legal stuff for years to come after all,..and I can admit that)...or simply ignore my posts. I'm still learning after all.

In the future, I will endeavor to save my important backlinks in case I need to offer proof for industry speculation.
-Jon

David Mathew Bonner December 1st, 2005 12:13 PM

I said show us, that's all. Most of us have spent time reading, surfing, calling,
without any solid answers. I figured you had some.

Jonathan Jones December 1st, 2005 01:12 PM

Quote:

I said show us, that's all. Most of us have spent time reading, surfing, calling,

My sincere apologies for my tone....it was late, I had chugged some Nyquil to quell a cold and fever, and I just misinterpreted the tone of your statement. Sorry about that. In the meantime, I have done some more searching to see if I can find some updated threads to what I indicated and will try to post some info when I get the chance. Hope we're good. Thanks.

BTW: I checked some of the wedding videographers sites to look around. Although I commented that many of them don't spend much time on the music and simply drop in popular tunes because it is an easy win...it was clear to me that your approach to the use of the music is fundamental, and you edit with a keen sense of the musical timing. Your editing is exceptional. Good stuff.
-Jon

Steve House December 1st, 2005 02:08 PM

I don't know what the debate is. AFAIK, in North America you must, absolutely without exception, have synchonization and mechanical licenses from the copyright holder to incorporate any music into your production other than music of your own composition (or public domain) and performance. Period, end of story, no exceptions. Using a CD owned by the B&G as the source of the tracks is in no way different from using a CD purchased by you or a track downloaded from the net or a tape of something heard on the radio for that purpose. The law does permit the owner of a CD etc to copy material for backup purposes and to convert it to a different medium for personal use (ripping a CD to put it on your MP3 player for example) but if push came to shove you would be hard-pressed to assert in court that copying a track off a music CD into the soundtrack of a wedding video is making a backup for archival purposes. And according to the law as I understand it, it doesn't matter whether the video is going to be shown or broadcast publically, duplicated in a 100 unit production run to be given to all the wedding guests and family, or run off in just one single copy solely for the personal use of the B&G, if it's copyright music you must either own the copyright yourself or have a license to use it.

BTW, the wedding DJ requires a performance license to play the music at the reception (whether he has one or not is another matter - legally he should.) This is a completely different kind of license from that required to incorporate the same music into a video production.

Pat Sherman December 1st, 2005 04:49 PM

So could the following worked...

You create your wedding video here in the U.S.

You send it out persay to your buddy in the UK for the final sound mix

You send it to your clients?

I mean you didn't do the sound your subcontractor did it with a license?

Pat Sherman December 1st, 2005 04:50 PM

Quote:

Hey Dave.. Quit checking out this thread and update your Gallery I need some new ideas...:)

David Mathew Bonner December 1st, 2005 11:49 PM

here Pat

www.dmbvp.com/video/bliss.wmv

the newest

David Mathew Bonner December 1st, 2005 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
My sincere apologies for my tone....it was late, I had chugged some Nyquil to quell a cold and fever, and I just misinterpreted the tone of your statement. Sorry about that. In the meantime, I have done some more searching to see if I can find some updated threads to what I indicated and will try to post some info when I get the chance. Hope we're good. Thanks.

BTW: I checked some of the wedding videographers sites to look around. Although I commented that many of them don't spend much time on the music and simply drop in popular tunes because it is an easy win...it was clear to me that your approach to the use of the music is fundamental, and you edit with a keen sense of the musical timing. Your editing is exceptional. Good stuff.
-Jon

Thanks....that's why I am so passionate about this topic. Also, if the chips do fall, I have a huge target on me :(

Tom Hardwick December 2nd, 2005 03:08 AM

''BTW, the wedding DJ requires a performance license to play the music at the reception (whether he has one or not is another matter - legally he should.) ''

Good point Steve, and my point is that by videoing in the vicinity of the loudspeakers I'm copying those music tracks just as if I was feeding in a line signal. The law sees copying from speaker to mic an equal infringement to line-in copying.

tom.

Steve House December 2nd, 2005 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
''BTW, the wedding DJ requires a performance license to play the music at the reception (whether he has one or not is another matter - legally he should.) ''

Good point Steve, and my point is that by videoing in the vicinity of the loudspeakers I'm copying those music tracks just as if I was feeding in a line signal. The law sees copying from speaker to mic an equal infringement to line-in copying.

tom.

As I understand it (I am not a lawyer) whether hearing the dance music coming from the loudspeakers at the reception in your soundtrack is infringing or not is based in part on whether it is a material part of the production or coincidental. If you have shots of people dancing or your primary sound of interest is conversations and interviews with family, members of the party, etc and bits of the music are coincidently audible in the background it would probably pass. But if you have a sequence of the couple's first dance where the song is a material element of the soundtrack or perhaps various romantic shots of the couple cut together in a "love story" video while "their song" plays on the soundtrack, then you're tickling to dragon's tail.