DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Highlight Clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/69212-highlight-clip.html)

Janice DeMille June 9th, 2006 06:43 AM

Highlight Clip

This is my first time doing this so please be gentle. I did a long highlight clip for a client who will be showing it at their second reception. It is 3 songs so bear with it. I am looking for constructive feedback. I love this forum, everyone is so helpful.

http://www.memorylanenc.com/Stadter_Wedding.htm

thanks,
Janice

Leo Pepingco June 9th, 2006 06:55 AM

I was only able to watch the first 3 minutes... I'm sorry, but my net is slow and I have to wait a while for it to buffer...

I love it, really I do. Better than what I can produce believe me.

My only gripe is the transition from the "half'n'half" invitation/flowers. Into the enlarge Invitation/video. Its far too quick and its noticeable. All good transitions are ones that you never notice. Other than that, just too unforgettable...

Lovely

Rick Steele June 9th, 2006 07:11 AM

An Excellent first Highlight. They'll love it. You got some good b-roll and good bridal prep.

The audio during the vows though... it sounds like the officiant wore the lav mic and you used a shotgun on the couple? If you only have one remote mic, make sure it's on the groom.

David Avedikian June 9th, 2006 08:52 AM

Not a bad highlight at all. I liked the opening with the cropped video. The movement of the type was too fast though.

Your cross dissolves need a little fine tuning. Some were too fast which you probably did to keep from switching to a cut clip, which is fine, but you can still get the right timing by slowing the displayed clip a little longer. Even then, there were still a couple cross dissolves that flipped clips right before the transition completed.

Monday Isa June 9th, 2006 09:05 AM

Hey Janice,
Over all good job. That was a good higlight clip and your clients will be very happy. Everyone has given you great pointers so far. One thing that was out of place for me was your beginning. You had 4:3 video on the left and 16:9 on the right then you added in 16:9 as the bride comes in and then ended with a full 4:3 resolution. This maybe a new style that I have missed not watching alot of tv since smallville are re-runs but it just seems to odd. I would just stick to 1 resolution. Over all good job. Especially you had the guts to post. A+ :)

Mike F Smith June 9th, 2006 10:37 AM

A really good job overall. I'm not wild about close ups of people talking without being able to hear their words. Other than that really good.

Mike

Peter Jefferson June 9th, 2006 11:09 AM

interesting variety of clips u got there. i was just watching a clip called "vows for web", and i noticed that either your were progresively adjusting volumes or you were using a noise gate. Now this was REALLY noticable, however with some tweaking with some noise reduction software, u can work around the background noise without it being so obviously affected.

Another option, being outside, would be to use some ambient nature music with birds and water and shit flying around playing in the background with some mellow go nowhere music.. this way the background noise wont be as noticable as there is an overlaying ambience to what were hearing and seeing.. as opposed to just hearing their voices dip and peak :) Just a lil trick to get u started when working with outdoor ceremonies ;)good luck with it!!

U got some nice work there :)

Peter Jefferson June 9th, 2006 11:19 AM

oh forgot to mention.. another tidbit to keep an eye on, is when creating web based clips (wmv, QT yadd yadda) always use progressive frame/Progressive scan. Most NLEs deinterlace these days so u shoudlnt have a problem. PC resolutions are MUCH higher than TV, so the combing effect/distrortion wont be there if u convert to a frame or scan based format. If u keep interlacing on for web based material, u will notice teh combing dostortion as found in the clip u have posted called "Highlights" (the one that starts with unforgettable)

cheers
p

Janice DeMille June 9th, 2006 12:28 PM

Thanks

All great ideas, I appreciate all the feedback. You are correct on the lav mic, the groom would not wear it. I will insist now. I just love the suggestions. Not sure on the 4:3, 16:9 issue, I will have to look into.

smiles to all,
Janice

Yoochul Chong June 9th, 2006 04:40 PM

at the opening credits of the invitation, i would avoid the zooming on the video, it was a little distracting somewhat with the text going up and the video zooming out.

also, on the audio, i would "fill" in room tone, in this case, outdoor tone where there is no dialogue going on so that when the dialogue of the bride and groom is going on you can fill in the room tone underneath the bride and grooms diagloue so that there isn't that obvious separation of clean and "bad" audio. I don't know if i'm making sense at all.

overall pretty good.

Janice DeMille June 13th, 2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
oh forgot to mention.. another tidbit to keep an eye on, is when creating web based clips (wmv, QT yadd yadda) always use progressive frame/Progressive scan. Most NLEs deinterlace these days so u shoudlnt have a problem. PC resolutions are MUCH higher than TV, so the combing effect/distrortion wont be there if u convert to a frame or scan based format. If u keep interlacing on for web based material, u will notice teh combing dostortion as found in the clip u have posted called "Highlights" (the one that starts with unforgettable)

cheers
p

I tried to do the progressive frame/progressive scan in Premiere Pro but do not see an option for that. Any ideas?

thanks