DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   FIRST wedding shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/83346-first-wedding-shoot.html)

Anthony Tham January 7th, 2007 12:23 PM

FIRST wedding shoot

hey guys this is my first wedding shoot and i've done a highlight. Do give me feedbacks. Thanks a million

http://www.sjsband.org/samuelkaren2.wmv

Adam Grunseth January 7th, 2007 03:06 PM

I liked it. Way better than my first wedding video, and you are only going to get better from here.

If you want criticism, my suggestion would be to use a tripod or monopod or some sort of camera stabilization. I think it would improve the quality greatly if you shot on a tripod with slow zooms instead of slowing everything down in post.

Robert Johnston January 7th, 2007 03:27 PM

Not bad for your first time. You need to clean your lens big time though. It shows that your lens is dirty when you shoot into the sun. Proprer lens care gives you better results in picture quality.

I also agree that you need to use other equipment to stabalize the camera. If you are going to use zooms try to get smooth zooms without stoping and starting as this makes it look cheap.

Keep at it dude, your doing fine.

Anthony Tham January 7th, 2007 09:59 PM

hello, thanks alot for the comments. Thats true about the lense i've only realise when i started editing. i wiped the lense filter before the shoot though. any tips for cleaning it ? owh yes i find it rather tought keeping the cam steady while walking. say if i would to be using a tripod how do i track them ? or is it beter to just stay put at a different position everytime and not track the bride and groom ?

thanks

Robert Johnston January 8th, 2007 03:25 AM

First of all the lens should be cleaned of dust. If you don't do this step first then you will end up scratching the lens. Buy a camera lens cleaning kit, it should come with a soft brush and blower. Use these to clean the dust off. When you have done that use the soft cloth (also provided in the kit)to rub off any smears. If the lens is still dirty use the cleaning agent that comes with the kit and the soft cloth.
Use this agent sparingly.

It's hard doing steady tracking shoots with out an aid of a steadycam type device. This should be used sparingly as it is only for artistic footage. Staying put and tracking from different angles with a tripod gives better footage as it is stable. Lets face it, not many people would be thinking of the types of shoots you've taken but will notice shaky camera work.

Tom Hardwick January 8th, 2007 03:50 AM

I'd say don't use a filter at all. I guess you're using a 1"/3 chipped camcorder, so that the dof is huge at the best of times - adding a filter just brings 2 more 'unclean' surfaces into the mix, so only do it if you really feel you must (a wedding on the beach in the wind, for instance).

And have you thought about a bean bag? Allows you to use almost anything as a stabilising surface, and to position your camera at almost any angle.

tom.

Tom Tomkowiak January 8th, 2007 11:34 AM

Hi Anthony, for some reason I could only pull through the first 1.5 minutes of the video. But, from what I saw, I'd say your future filming weddings looks very promising. Okay, some obvious hand-held camera movement, but the slo-mo pretty much masked it. There are techniques you can work on to reduce handheld camera shake, and a variety of devices you can buy that can help stabilize the camera.

You definitely have the right idea getting closeups of your subjects, and your editing results in a smooth flow. Nicely done is where the camera moves past the boy up to the groom, then transitions to the bride while the camera continues moving forward. Shots like that can't be done with the camera on a tripod, so, while I am a big fan of using a tripod, you still have to be able to leave those 3 legs behind and go mobile.

Identifying the bride, groom, fathers, etc. as you did isn't necessary, IMO. Family & friends who rate getting a copy of the finished video already know who the main players are, so I think superimposing names or titles on the video doesn't add anything other than a little extra work for yourself.

Anthony Tham January 8th, 2007 10:12 PM

Hey guys thanks for viewing my work and giving many feedbacks. im not too sure when my next wedding shoot is but guess i've learnt quite alot of things from this first shoot and ofcourse the comments given by you guys. I've come to realize simple mistakes such as not making sure the lense is clean and cam handling could cause quite a huge down grade in the footage. anyway do keep the comments coming and once again thanks !

Michael Nistler January 9th, 2007 06:00 AM

Wedding Video Feedback

Hi Anthony,

I also noticed the windows media file aborts and loops after the first 90 seconds. At any rate, overall you're off to a good start for your first wedding and your music, editing and lighting are among your pluses. Aside from the comments by others, I suggest you begin to learn more camera shot types to your arsenal and try to minimize the frequency of your zoom shots. While you can learn from other's videos, if you really want to learn how to shoot like a pro it's well worth the investment to buy "Advanced Broadcast Camera Techniques" (check out John Cooksey's online demos):

http://www.elitevideo.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=26

Oh yeah, pick up the camera a bit (avoid cutting off the tops of their heads). Again, I really liked your editing (including tempo and pace), choice of music, and lighting in the first 90 seconds.

Warm Regards, Michael

Alex Sprinkle January 9th, 2007 10:59 AM

I too could only get 1:34 into it. Like many others, this is way better than my first one! Kudos!

Just so you know, I believe you may have misspelled "Corinthians"

Anthony Tham January 9th, 2007 08:47 PM

Hello again been editing another video and its now here for your comments. i was thinking someting a little more up beat this time and i couldn't figure out which song to use and this just came to my mind. This video is showing both bride and groom before the wedding started.

About the 90 seconds video loading why not try right clicking on the link and save target ? hopefully that'll work.

www.sjsband.org/samuelkaren1.wmv
www.sjsband.org/samuelkaren2.wmv

i've crop the top and bottom to get the 16:9 feel do give some feedbacks. And again Thanks a MILLION !

Michael Nistler January 10th, 2007 01:04 AM

Tranquil/distorted Music

Rehi Anthony,

Oops, your new music seems to be very distorted (probably either overmodulated and impedance mismatch). While the music is indeed beautiful, it's more fitting to express tranquility, peace, and serenity - not exactly the kind of emotion to convey during the wedding itself. I recommend saving that kind of music for the last dance, etc. Perhaps you'd like to listen to award winning videographers to get a sense on what others find appealing:

http://www.4evergroup.org/artisticac...ntawards.shtml

Warm Regards, Michael

Tom Hardwick January 10th, 2007 08:42 AM

The music was too mournful for my tastes, Anthony, but I do like the 16:9 aspect and of course slo-mo really suits the subject well.

Trouble is I kept thinking, 'Why's he left that bit in?' and if I'm thinking that, are the happy couple thinking that too? There are places where you zoom in and then out in the same shot, and it looks like a mistake. There are times (when they exit the venue) when your camera's all over the place. There are times when so many people cross in front of you it hardly seems worth while keeping the shot at all.

But I do like your close-up bravery, and the fact that you carry on zooming in an odd framing way and combine that with a dissolve into the next clip. I'm sure that the couple will be delighted the first time they see it, but I want them to be delighted the 50th time they see it, and as such I just kept wishing you were at my side to explain some of your moves, shots and editing decisions.

tom.