DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   School play (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/86292-school-play.html)

Stelios Christofides February 12th, 2007 11:23 AM

School play

Hi
I am going to videograph a high school play in 2 weeks time and as this is my first in this type of work, any advise or tips is appreciated. It's going to be in an indoor theater at night.

Stelios

Glen Elliott February 12th, 2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides
Hi
I am going to videograph a high school play in 2 weeks time and as this is my first in this type of work, any advise or tips is appreciated. It's going to be in an indoor theater at night.

Stelios

How many cams are you shooting with? I'd suggest shooting with at least 2 even if you don't have a second shooter. That way you can cover up an abrubpt camera moves you might need to make (or do so unintentionally).

I usually shoot one high and wide. If there is a balcony I'll put one up there framed up to get the entire stage.

The second, and "primary", camera is on the floor either in the center isle right in the front or in the front row if it's roped off to keep guests away. It really depends on your accomidations. I use that front cam to follow the action and keep it framed for medium to CU shots. I find a mix between these to cameras with different focal ranges awards me a great deal of flexibility in post.

Be ready to change tapes if the program runs over 1 hour. I'd change early during an intermission even if there is tape left- just to make sure you don't run out of tape during the performance. This is where NOT having a second shooter can get difficult when using a second camera.

Sound. Try to get a feed from the sound system. If not (or even if you DO) I'd place a mic near the stage to add redundancy and help pick up ambient sound.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Stelios Christofides February 12th, 2007 01:11 PM

Thanks Glen for your advise. I do have 2 cameras one my new Sony HDR-FX7 and one Sony DCR-TRV80. I will be doing this on my own. I plan to use my FX7 as the main camera to follow the action and my TRV80 for filming the whole show on a tripod. Should I use lighting equipment or not. I do have a battery video light 20W for my FX7 but I am reluctant to use lights on a tripod. I want to film the show as is, and not to spoil it with big lights.

Stelios

Mark Holland February 12th, 2007 02:33 PM

Stelios,

I agree with Glen's advice. As far as lighting goes, the 20 watt light won't help you and will probably only get people angry with you for having it switched on. As long as your customer understands what to expect of video shot with theatrical lighting, you should be fine.

Good luck!

Mark

Steven Davis February 12th, 2007 03:59 PM

Try to visit the place a day or so ahead of time. I don't like surpises that I can thwart. Since you'll most likely be having to deal with both cameras, I would make sure I know my placements ahead of time.

What Glenn says is good stuff about changing tapes early. If I know I'll need to change tapes in the middle of the event, I'll even start my B roll camera about 5 minutes ahead, this will give me a window to change the A roll camera.

Those are just some thoughts in my head. Let us know how it goes.

Oh yeah, and find out if they are giong to have one of those spots or not.

Tom Tomkowiak February 13th, 2007 10:27 AM

I like to be fully prepared for any job, so if I was going to videotape a school play, I'd coordinate with the play director and arrange to show up for the dress rehearsal with most if not all of my gear. Not necessary to stay for the entire rehearsal, just long enough to check the lighting, audio, camera positions, and to make yourself known to the director, advisors and actors.

If something isn't working out the way you planned, it's a lot easier, and less of a headache during post, to make adjustments at rehearsal rather than during the real thing.

If the play is taking place on an elevated stage, you should make arrangements for a solid platform to shoot from. From experience I can tell you a play filmed from audience level up to a stage will look very amaturish. You possibly could be positioned on the stage, but most school stages I'm familiar with aren't big enough for that. However, you can try out all possibilities at rehearsal and see what works out best.

Boyd Ostroff February 13th, 2007 10:36 AM

Have a look at this collection of threads; lots of good info!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60275

Jason Robinson February 13th, 2007 06:05 PM

stage direction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides
Hi

Stelios

I would ask for a copy of the stage director's notes (who enters from what side, when, etc) so you can be prepared for entrance, exits. It doesn't hurt to show up to a complete dress rehearsal to get a feel for the production so there aren't any surprises.

jason