DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   WEVA Expo: Worth it or not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/90437-weva-expo-worth-not.html)

Travis Cossel April 1st, 2007 02:58 PM

WEVA Expo: Worth it or not?

I just got back from WPPI in Las Vegas. My wife is a photographer and so we went to the convention for that reason. For a photographer, the convention was well worth the expense; hands on with new products and equipment; lots of great speakers and education. It really got me motivated to attend something similar for videography.

For those of you who have attended a WEVA Expo, please post your thoughts regarding how useful it was (number of vendors, quality of speakers, etc). Thanks!

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 1st, 2007 03:13 PM

Travis,

I would bet you will get something positive out of the weva expo. For me, I like chatting either over the phone or in person with other videographers here in Southern California, companies that produce similar quality and have similar rates as me. I think we both get a lot out of our long conversations regarding our businesses. I have learned some things from them and I am sure they learn some stuff rom me.

Have fun at the expo if you decide to attend. at the least, you should see who is going from DVinfo, and perhaps meet them for coffee or something. It would be nice to put a face to the many posts we all share.

Cheers- Joe

Travis Cossel April 1st, 2007 03:33 PM

Thanks for the reply, Joe. Unfortunately for me, my market is dominated by inexpensive videographers who aren't really looking to be the very best. So phone conversations with local videographers isn't going to benefit me much. That's cool that you have that option, though. I just use these boards like a phone, lol.

Vito DeFilippo April 1st, 2007 07:30 PM

I went two years ago and enjoyed myself. There were many seminars that I thought were useful, some that were not. The trade show was good, lots of vendors, nice opportunity to try out cameras and equipment, editing software, etc.

The opening night ceremony was something I will never attend again. Hours of self-congratulatory bull***t. I swear if a WEVA member managed to go to the bathroom, and get out without toilet paper sticking to his shoe, they'd hand out an award. Just ridiculous.

Ryan DesRoches April 2nd, 2007 07:50 AM

I think your best bet might be to search for a local videographers association. Here in Massachusetts, there is a brand new group that formed (Event Professionals of America, but that name might change soon!) - that holds meeting every month and covers about 4 topics a meeting. Everything from making a remote camera setup, to DVD Production, Topics on HighDef, to just sharing ideas and picking someone's brain.

So far, the meeting gets 15-20 different companies at the meeting - from guys that have been doing it for 20+ years, to newbies like me that know nothing! It's a huge resource, and I would recommend finding something local like this than going to a national conference that might cost a few grand.

Just my 2 cents.
Ryan

Jason Robinson April 2nd, 2007 10:47 AM

Awww man!

And here I have been successfully going to the bathroom for years with out proper recognition! :-)

jason

Travis Cossel April 2nd, 2007 03:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to hear comments from anyone else who has attended the Expo.

Mark Von Lanken April 2nd, 2007 04:18 PM

Hi Travis,

I have been to eight of the WEVA Expos. Let me start out by saying that it is much smaller than WPPI. I heard that WPPI had aroung 10,000 in attendance. Last year WEVA had around 1200. These are not exact numbers, but more of a ballpark figure.

If Boise is much like Tulsa, you will love the trade show. There is so much more to see at the trade show than what our local markets have to offer.

The learning experience? I can honestly say that we would still be doing video part time if we would have never gone to our first WEVA Expo. It's not only the seminars, but the friendships that you will make and it's those friendships that can make all of the difference.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Travis Cossel April 2nd, 2007 04:49 PM

You are correct. WPPI was huge. It wasn't NAB huge, but it took up several halls and many of the various ballrooms (for classes).

A few specific questions . . .

About how many vendors would you say are present at the Expo?

Roughly how many classes are offered?

How would you rate the speakers overall?

Thanks!

Darrell Aubert April 2nd, 2007 05:19 PM

I make it out to WEVA every year. I don't go just for the seminars however, but the fun time I have with some of my videography friends and the networking opportunities I have access to. Last year through networking with others, I was able to walk away from WEVA with a profit through shooting jobs I booked. If its your first WEVA, the seminars are a must. You'll find that each year after that you'll only go to select seminars and spend more time networking and meeting other professionals. Last year I think I went to two seminars. Haha. That wasn't because the topics were bad but that I had seen similar seminars and thought that my time would be better spent networking and it did pay off.

Go to WEVA with some friends, have a good time and meet other videographers!

Per your Questions:

Vendors come and go. I'd say about 30 - 40 vendors are there but I could be wrong.

I believe there are about 70 classes offered throughout the week.

Many of the speakers are big names while many are newer guys. Its a good balance of new and old.

Travis Cossel April 2nd, 2007 06:27 PM

Thank you so much for the input. I would love to hear any additional input, but I think I'm going to have to pass on the expo this year. I didn't even consider attending until just this past week after going to WPPI with my wife, so I don't really have the budget saved for the trip.

I think I'll get some educational materials this year, and budget for the expo for next year.

Mark Von Lanken April 2nd, 2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 652913)
You are correct. WPPI was huge. It wasn't NAB huge, but it took up several halls and many of the various ballrooms (for classes).

A few specific questions . . .

About how many vendors would you say are present at the Expo?

Roughly how many classes are offered?

How would you rate the speakers overall?

Thanks!

Hi Travis,

I would say around 60 vendors and around 60 different classes. Maybe someone with the exact numbers could give you more accurate numbers.

I would rate the speakers as very good. There is a wide range of topics and if you are sitting in a session that isn't exactly what you thought it would be, there is always at least two other sessions going on, so you can easily attend another session.

Travis Cossel April 2nd, 2007 08:39 PM

Alright, cool. Do big names like Apple and Canon have booths?

Mark Von Lanken April 2nd, 2007 08:53 PM

Hi Travis,

Here's a link to some of the vendors from last year's Expo.
http://www.wevaexpo.com/tradeshow2.shtml

I don't remember Canon being there, but B&H had some Canon DV & HDV cameras. I don't use Mac, but I do seem to remember several Mac laptops setup for live demos.

Travis Cossel April 2nd, 2007 09:11 PM

Hey, thanks for the link!

Travis Cossel April 2nd, 2007 09:57 PM

Mark, I just ordered the "Art of" DVD's on your website. I couldn't afford to do WEVA this year, but I'm looking forward to learning from your DVD's!

Mark Von Lanken April 2nd, 2007 11:49 PM

Hi Travis,

I really wasn't trying to sell you something, just answer your questions about WEVA, but non-the-less, thanks for your order. We have received great reviews on "The Art Of" Combo Pack.

Victor Kellar April 3rd, 2007 07:11 AM

I become envious when reading posts about people who have connected with other videographers in their areas and found them to be mutually beneficial ...

Here in Toronto (at least in the specific market I work in) the only thing I get out of my contacts with other wedding pros is them trying to steal my ideas and/or my business ...

Man, I'm glad I'm getting out of this end of the biz

Travis Cossel April 3rd, 2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 653046)
Hi Travis,

I really wasn't trying to sell you something, just answer your questions about WEVA, but non-the-less, thanks for your order. We have received great reviews on "The Art Of" Combo Pack.

Oh, I know. You didn't even mention your products. I'd actually looked at them before anyways. I mostly got them because my assistant can learn from them, which is something I couldn't afford to do with the Expo.

Travis Cossel April 3rd, 2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Kellar (Post 653120)
I become envious when reading posts about people who have connected with other videographers in their areas and found them to be mutually beneficial ...

Here in Toronto (at least in the specific market I work in) the only thing I get out of my contacts with other wedding pros is them trying to steal my ideas and/or my business ...

Man, I'm glad I'm getting out of this end of the biz

Sorry to hear that. It's about the same here. We have a very high turnover rate with videography businesses, so every year there's a half dozen new companies undercutting the few established companies. Makes business tough.

Jenny Lehman April 4th, 2007 02:26 PM

I agree with Mark Von Lanken. I have attended all 16 WEVA Expos and will be at the 17th this August at Ballys. It is hands down the best investment you can make in your business.

Last year they had over 70 vendors in the trade show and 70 seminars.

Most major vendors are there at the trade show, including Mac. Apple had a large space with about a dozen laptops giving ongoing seminars scheduled thought the trade show days. You do need to sign up for them quickly as they are always full.

I met a videographer at the Expo who starting wedding coverage was $700. After attending their first Expo and some coaching from me, now starts at $3700. Not a bad return on their investment.

Jason Robinson April 4th, 2007 03:17 PM

The difference...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny Lehman (Post 653873)
I met a videographer at the Expo who starting wedding coverage was $700. After attending their first Expo and some coaching from me, now starts at $3700. Not a bad return on their investment.

I just bumped up to $1000 for my starting product (was ~$700) and had my first web referral client (they found me via a free add placement at a major vender web site) inquire and run away when I mentioned the price.

I booked gigs when I was the under priced new guy but after doing this for 2 years (almost) I figured my prices had to increase to get more than $10 / hr. So I guess I need to lower them again in order to book something. Travis is right, Boise seems to be wide open but actually has pretty stiff competition. I booked all of my customers because they couldn't afford the normal production businesses and did not place a priority on video. With out the cut rate I charged they would have had no video coverage so I guess I should focus on that segment of the market, since no one is serving it (that I know of).

Jason Robinson

Travis Cossel April 4th, 2007 03:24 PM

Yeah, Boise is a tough sell market, even if you're priced low. Most brides aren't even looking for a videographer, and those that do want the works for $500. It's pretty crazy.

I'm working as hard as I can to change that mindset in the market, but it's definitely difficult.