2 THUMBS UP for the Olympus DS-30! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #31
Major Player

I picked up a DS-30 along with a pair of Binaural microphones.. Gonna see if this works out!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #32
Major Player

My DS-30 arrived today and after trying it out...I love it. About a week ago I Taped a financial seminar using two Azden wireless mics. It was at a Holiday Inn. The A/C's and the rest of the electronic equipment played havoc all night long. Stray Frequency's all over the place. I already had a Olympus WS-300m which I used for weddings and it was great. For some reason I didn't use it for the seminar. Now that I have two recorders I will use nothing else. In July I've got another Seminar and I'll post a report here. I have no weddings in the near future.
Hope this helps
Harry
BTW my Mics from my Azdens work just fine in both recorders thank you.
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM   #33
Major Player

Anyone else having a nightmare syncing these up? The audio is indeed gorgeous but....man...does it drift!
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I returned your email. I think I also mentioned earlier in the thread how I deal with the "drift". It's a bit of a pain to deal with, but I still feel that these are worth it because I get perfect audio every time.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM   #35
Major Player

Phew...sweat over!
If you are a Vegas user you can right click on the clip and select properties.

You then go to Time stretch/pitch shift
Method Classic
You then set the new length value to approx 99.76% of the original length. (too tired to work it out exactly..sorry!)
You then have to go back and re-sync the start of the clip.
After that you go to the end of the clip and just adjust the new length a fraction at a time until you are in sync.
Took a few attempts but it's now spot on.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM   #36
Major Player

http://www.mfbb.net/myvideoproblems/...s-about25.html

Some great info.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Awesome find. I just scanned the article for now, but I'm going to try it out this week on my current wedding I think.
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Okay, so I didn't do that proceedure, but I did use Quicktime to convert one of the Olympus AIIF files to a WAV file with 48khz for the sampling frequency. Then I just used trial and error to adjust the speed of the clip and got it so it's on from start to finish. For me that meant adjusting the speed to 100.12%. That was for the officiant's mic. Now for the groom. Hopefully the same percentage applies.
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Okay, this is VERY strange and annoying. I use a DS-30 on the officiant and one on the groom. Both are exactly the same with the same mics and all of the settings are exactly the same.

But after converting both to 48khz and figuring out the speed requirements, one needed to be at 100.12% and the other had to be at 100.17%. I don't understand why the speeds need to be different if they were both captured exactly the same. Bizarre.

The good news is that converting them to 48khz seems to remove the lag and negates the need to cut the sound clips every couple of minutes to resync them. That's a time-saver!
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #40
Inner Circle

This was discussed in another thread, but the short technical explanation is that there is a "clock" chip in most of these electronic devices. That chip can have variances from one to the next, even within the same production run (tolerances), and may even vary slightly over time.

Unless you spend huge amounts of money, electronic circuits will have tolerance related issues. Every component will have a range within which it will be "acceptable", and put a pile of components together, and so on...

I use the old saw "man with two watches never knows what time it is" - that's what you're seeing - you might mark your two recorders, keep a log of what the offsets are for future reference, and perhaps you can save some time in the future, presuming the devices don't drift with age and time...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Great advice, Dave. I do seem to remember reading that somewhere on here recently. Thanks for reminding me. I mark all my cameras so I might as well mark these recorders.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:35 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Question. After reading this thread I went out and bought this same dvr. Where should i go to find a mic to hook up with this? I have a wedding saturday and i need something quick. And if I can't get it for this weekend what mics would you guys suggest I go with? I saw a post earlier about the Giant Squid website.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #43
Inner Circle

I simply used the mic's that came with my Azden wireless set. I imagine any mic with an 1/8" plugin will work.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I simply used the mic's that came with my Azden wireless set. I imagine any mic with an 1/8" plugin will work.
Cool. Thanks.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #45
New Boot

I purchased one of the Giant Squids and it did a fantastic job. I only had the one ds-30 and put it on the groom. I picked up both the bride and groom as if both had their own. It even picked up the preacher.

Then during the lighting of the unity candle, both the bride and groom whispered their prayers and it picked that up also.
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques