DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Learning Vegas 8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/106163-learning-vegas-8-a.html)

Ian Hay October 22nd, 2007 04:39 PM

Gerald, just to clarify - burning captured HD material to DVD *in HD* is not among the features of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, if this was one of your expectations.

Even Vegas Pro 8 is (in my understanding) limited in this regard, permitting burning only menu-less blu-ray format HD from the timeline. (I'm not clear on whether this includes burning blu-ray HD to regular DVD, playable on blu-ray players generally or on the PS3 - others can confirm). Neither Vegas Pro 8 or DVD Architect 4.5 are well suited at this stage to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray production by themselves without additional tools (such as Ulead).

That having been said, while Vegas Pro 8 is a bit more expensive, you should consider it. I am strictly an amateur/beginner/hobbyist. I started with Studio Platinum 8 shortly after its release a few months ago. I loved it, but *very* soon started hitting my head against the functionality "glass ceiling": 4 video tracks became very limiting very fast; limited export options got frustrating; additional envelopes such as velocity starting looking necessary; and SCOPES - Oh my goodness, how did I ever live without scopes!?!. I bought Vegas 8 as soon as it was released.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Ian.

Jason Robinson October 22nd, 2007 05:22 PM

Simplified version

Honestly, if you don't expect that the production of a video will be a hobby, but instead the Subject is the hobby, then you will probably be fine with Movie Studio version.

FYI: Scopes help with color correcting / matching.
Multiple video tracks only affect you if you want multiple text overlays (credits, captions, etc in differet fonts, differet movements) and / or have a video with several Picture-in-picture effects.

But I think my first point holds true. I have a good friend that tried three other apps before I told her to buy Movie Studio.. She loved it. She used it to record her husband's games (her husband is high school football / basketball coach).

She can record, burn to DVD, do chapters, etc etc. No problems for her. As far as I kow, she has never needed more functionality than that so it suits her just fine.

Gerald Hocutt October 22nd, 2007 06:55 PM

sorry kevin, i did not mean to high jack your thread with my other problem. post back and let us know how the training video's go.
gerald

Edward Troxel October 22nd, 2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Hocutt (Post 762930)
capture hd video and be able to burn it to a dvd in hd

Then you need Vegas Pro 8. It can burn to Blu-ray from the timeline. the "Movie Studio" version will let you burn HD in SD on a standard DVD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Hocutt (Post 762930)
is the studio verson easier to learn on than the pro8 verson?

No. They same functions apply to both. Vegas Pro just has more functions.

Kevin Saitta October 22nd, 2007 08:49 PM

NO worries at all. This has all been great information.

I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get a timeline ( project ) to DVD. I am using the trial version of Sony pro 8 as I await the bought version to show up.

I tell you though, the software is amazing and I am glad I bought the pro verison.

Jeff Harper October 23rd, 2007 12:23 AM

Have you tried the interactive tutorials within Vegas 8? They are much more limited, not as in-depth as the Studio versions have but they are a good point to get started at. I'll say I do believe the extensive interactive tutorials in the studio versions of Vegas are excellent for beginners because they literally have flashing arrows within the program that tell you where to click next as you are working. I started with the studio line of Vegas products, and hated the transition to the pro version because it had no tutorials.

Good luck and welcome to Vegas!

Mike Kujbida October 23rd, 2007 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Saitta (Post 763059)
I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to get a timeline ( project ) to DVD.

Kevin, as mentioned earlier, be sure to download Edward Troxel's excellent (and free!!) newsletters.
Vol. 1 #7 has a few articles on DVD authoring that should help you get started.

Kevin Saitta October 23rd, 2007 06:25 AM

Hello Jeff,

Ah, yes I did and they were actually pretty good , but I wanted a little more as I really want to learn this software inside and out so I can know what I can and cannot do.

Mike thank you for the link and I am heading over there now!

Thank you all again,

Kevin

Jeff Harper October 23rd, 2007 07:58 AM

For a SD non-widescreen project from within your project, go to File menu, select RENDER AS then go to new window and choose where you want rendered file to go.

Then click on "Save as Type" and choose MPEG 2. Then from the next lower drop down box select the DVD Architect NTSC video stream or which ever template is appropriate. Then click on save and the rendering will begin. On a dual core machine it should take about one to two minutes for every 1 min of footage to render out. Some Special FX when used within Vegas, such as Film Effects and Glow will slow down the process a bit.

After project is rendered to video, you need to repeat process for the Audio. A good place to start for rendering audio is to choose Dolby Digital Studio AC3 then the Stereo DVD template.

When this process is finished, you are ready to open Architect. When Architect is open drag either audio or video file to the largest window where it says Menu 1. You could technically burn your project now, but your menu is really not yet ready for prime time yet. Edit Text to change the Menu Title and do the same to change the name of the movie you have just added to the menu.

You are ready to burn...go up select "make DVD" and select Burn and your are done.

I don't, as most people here, normally have time to issue these basic step-by-step directions to walk you through, but I really hope this gives you a start if you haven't figured it out by now.

Edward Troxel October 23rd, 2007 10:02 AM

I just released Vol 5 #2 of the newsletters. The "Beginner's Corner" article deals with the new ProType Titler. The main article deals with using masks.

Kevin Saitta October 24th, 2007 09:33 PM

Thank you all again for all the great information. I greatly appreciate it!

Kevin

Jason Robinson October 25th, 2007 07:16 PM

Another VASST customer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 762639)
Our "Absolute Training" DVDs cover the extreme basics. The Vegas book covers the extreme basics. Edward's newsletters have a "Beginners Corner" in them.
In other words, don't be afraid the basics have been ignored by anyone.
Yes, the book shows (as does the DVD) how to make a looping menu with a video file, and how much editing you do to the file is entirely up to you.

Douglas, just dropping a note to let you know you have created another Vegas VASST customer. All 8 volumes. I've been using Vegas since 6 and am pretty proficient, but certain black holes of knowledge have finally caught up to me (namely my latest wedding reception needing some major CC work). Hopefully this will shrink my time in post by actually understanding how CC & audio cleanup works.

Thanks again for all the time you spend on DVI.

Ian Hay October 25th, 2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 764924)
Douglas, just dropping a note to let you know you have created another Vegas VASST customer.

Ditto. After much delay and dithering, I just ordered vols. 1-4 off the Vasst site. I'm still considering the others, and the new Vol. 8, but I'll run, not walk, when Spot's new book hits the shelves.

As an extremely new poster 'round here, but a few months' worth of a lurker, thanks a heck of a lot, Spot, for your excellent and informative contributions on this forums and in all the other many places you actively participate.

Ian.