DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Moving all events on all tracks at once (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/106266-moving-all-events-all-tracks-once.html)

Ron Cooper October 23rd, 2007 07:44 AM

Moving all events on all tracks at once

With 5 complete tracks with multiple events, edited & stacked vertically, Is there a shortcut way of highlighting or selecting all events on all tracks so I can move everything to the left from a middle point to insert another event in one track, and adjust it for length, fade in, etc. on its right, & then pull everything back to this new event and adjust its fade on the left. Obviously I need to keep everything down the timeline in sync. on all tracks so it's not just a matter of inserting & rippling into a track but having all clips on all tracks moved down - (offset) by this one event in just one track.

In the manual it refers to right clicking & choosing "Select Events to end" , but when I do this it only moves everything in the one track. I simply need to be able to "select all", to the right of the cursor & drag the lot both ways. Surely I don't need to use a selection method & go all down the time-line selecting every event. - Again, (Sorry), all this is a snack in Premiere, just one mouse click & Voila !

Edward Troxel October 23rd, 2007 08:26 AM

Select events to end really only works on an individual track. This one simple task frustrated me so much that I created the "Select Events" tool in Excalibur - just so I could quickly select ALL events after the cursor.

Here's some ways you can do this, though.

1. Use Ripple Editing set to affect EVERYTHING - this can be better controlled if you use "Post Ripple Editing".

2. If you wanting to insert a blank area, use Insert - Time

3. Use the "Event Selection tool", zoom out on the timeline, select the events you want selected, and then you can move them all at once.

So there are ways to do this but my personal favorite is still the script method.

Ron Cooper October 23rd, 2007 08:40 AM

Many thanks Edward.

I like you, I am amazed that a great program like Vegas has not addressed this most vital of moves in a simple way, particularly when it has been in Premiere for about the last 10 years. When I first started with Premiere years ago, this was one of my first questions to the chap who was helping me at the time and it was so easy, just one click & you could shuffle everything in sync. Do you know if V8 has addressed this ?

Edward Troxel October 23rd, 2007 10:00 AM

In regards to this, everything is the same in Vegas 8. I still use a script - single button click and I'm done.

Ron Cooper October 23rd, 2007 11:08 AM

I don't know about scripts. Looks like the learning slope is getting steeper.
At the moment I am struggling to do a rolling credit. It seems obvious that it has been designed by a commitee !

Edward Troxel October 23rd, 2007 11:24 AM

Take a look at Vol 2 #9 and Vol 4 #2 of my newsletters - both talk about creating credit rolls.

Some of the other newsletters talk about scripts as well. There are many free scripts available and a few commercial scripts. Here's a free one that will do that task for you:

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/SelectEventsAfterCursor.cs

Chris Barcellos October 23rd, 2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Cooper (Post 763265)
Many thanks Edward.

I like you, I am amazed that a great program like Vegas has not addressed this most vital of moves in a simple way, particularly when it has been in Premiere for about the last 10 years. When I first started with Premiere years ago, this was one of my first questions to the chap who was helping me at the time and it was so easy, just one click & you could shuffle everything in sync. Do you know if V8 has addressed this ?

I think I understand whats being asked. If I want to move everything on all tracks, or on one track or on several adjacent track, I go to tool bar, select the tool with the arrow and the dotted box, use that to highlight everything I want moved, then move it by by holding down left mouse key... Is that the question.

Edward Troxel October 23rd, 2007 12:18 PM

That was my #3 above. However, I still think the script option is easier. Just put my cursor before what I want to move, run the script (a single button click because I put it on the toolbar), and click and move the events.

Ron Cooper October 23rd, 2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 763339)
I think I understand whats being asked. If I want to move everything on all tracks, or on one track or on several adjacent track, I go to tool bar, select the tool with the arrow and the dotted box, use that to highlight everything I want moved, then move it by by holding down left mouse key... Is that the question.

Thanks again ( & again Edward) & Chris. Yes Chris, this is it but in my case "frought with danger". If I try this method, there's a chance I may make one little slip in carefully selecting, & hours of sound editing & syncing are lost, but worst still, I may not know it until I am reviewing it miles down the timeline and find a tiny clip out of whack. I am about to try Edward's link which looks most encouraging.

Why can't they just provide a simple one click to "Select-all, -Right", (as Premiere has had for about 10 years ! ) We should introduce Mr. Vegas to Edward.

Roll on Version 10!!

Jim Day October 23rd, 2007 06:44 PM

Ron, I understand your concern about the "danger" involved in doing this. If you haven't already thought about it make sure you make a copy of the project ("save as") just prior to trying the script or whatever method you use. Then, if something does happen to go wrong, you can at least go back to where you are now.

Ron Cooper October 23rd, 2007 08:55 PM

Excellent point Jim I hadn't thought about that.

Renton Maclachlan October 23rd, 2007 10:51 PM

If you make a mistake, you can just use 'undo' and you are back where you were. You haven't lost anything until you save. Nothing to sweat about...

Peter Wright October 24th, 2007 01:08 AM

You should familarise yourself with the Ripple Tool as Ed suggested.

First, try auto ripple (turn on by clicking the icon above timeline). If you drag an event to the right, you will see every event which starts at the same time or later will move with the chosen event. You can create a gap maybe slightly larger than you need, insert the new event, place and trim it as required, then drag the originally moved event back to exactly where you want it. Normally moving blocks of events to the left is not such a good idea, especially if your project starts at 0:00:00, whereas moving to the right has unlimited space ....

As Edward said, Post Edit ripple gives you more manual control and achieves exactly the same effect. Drag the first event you want to move to the right, then press Ctrl/Shift F. The whole part of the project that starts with the moved event will now move and stay in synch.