DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   ADVC110 - Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/106510-advc110-help.html)

Paul Grove October 25th, 2007 04:46 PM

ADVC110 - Help!

Hi all - using Movie Studio 6 and was using the old camcorder / firewire method to preview images on an external monitor.

Now bought an ADVC110 to replace the camera. Ran the firewire from my PC to the back of the ADVC110 and then used a 3 cable composite cable from the video out on the back to run to the 3 corresponding terminals on the back of the external monitor.

Nothing.

Tried adding power - nothing. Dip switches all set correctly. Windows can 'see' the ADVC as when I press the input select button and the analog in button comes on, it asks me what program I want to use to capture video.

Please, what am I doing wrong?

Seth Bloombaum October 25th, 2007 04:52 PM

First, you seem aware of the analog-in button, and probably know that it should be switched to digital-in to use the box as a preview converter.

If windows sees it as a firewire device, it is probably not defective, nor is the cable.

Have you selected it as the external preview device in VMS? In Vegas Pro, you'd do so in Preview Device Preferences then click the little TV button, I'm not very familiar with VMS.

You also need to be working on a project with default DV properties...

Paul Grove October 25th, 2007 05:12 PM

Hi Seth - yep - digital in light is on, Preview Device is set under preferences to 'OHC Complian IEEE ..." and I'm working on a PAL DV Widescreen project - still no joy ...

Seth Bloombaum October 26th, 2007 10:48 AM

Sure sounds like it ought to be working - looks like you're down to some serious troubleshooting.

A different firewire cable.

Triple-checking that the unit is configured for PAL (it's pretty easy to get all dip switches set the opposite of what you want, they're teeny and I always reach for the reading glasses and flashlight).

A new project that isn't widescreen, using the default DV template. Hey, why don't you also try a new project at 60i?

A friend's computer with Vegas?

After that, I guess you're on to Canopus/Grass Valley tech support.

Steven Davis October 26th, 2007 11:18 AM

Ok call me crazy.....................crazy. But make sure your your software matches your settings for your monitor i.e. pal/ntsc. Because one day some mice got in my computer and switched a project to pal and my monitor wouldn't display it. I exhalled a lot of air trying to figure out the deal.

Paul Grove October 26th, 2007 11:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - finally decided to got out to Canopus - very quick support - recommended!

Anyway - have narrowed it down to this. By accident I pulled out the firewire cable of the back of the machine. I plugged it in again, and hey presto, windows detected it and asked what program I wanted to use it with. I opened Movie Studio and it worked ... until I rebooted and it's back to square one!

The weird thing is that XP is seeing on boot up (comes up under my computer), but doesn't seem to do anything until the above is tried.

Canopus can't help much more other than suggesting tests on another computer.

Went back to the camcorder method and it worked first time. GRRRRR!

If there was an on/off switch on the box, that might do it ...

Any more ideas guys?

Ian Stark October 27th, 2007 04:48 PM

Wild stab in the dark, but do you have any other firewire devices hanging off the same firewire bus (camera, drives, iPod, etc)?

If so, might be worth trying the process without any of those devices plugged in.

A while ago I had a problem trying to capture from a Canon XM2 while I had a firewire external drive (two, actually) attached. After much searching around I discovered a phenomenon in which the firewire card suffers a data 'storm' when too much is thrown at it - something somewhere has to give and in my case it was either the Canon or one or both of the drives. A separate issue was that the Canon 'hogged' the firewire bus and didn't always hand it back after a session.

Worth a try? Good luck.

Paul Grove October 28th, 2007 04:08 AM

Sorry Ian - only device plugged into the firewire card!

Ian Stark October 28th, 2007 04:16 AM

So I don't get the prize? [sob].

One other thing - when capturing or passing through cameras, I have on occasions in the past had to turn the camera off then on again before it's recognised by Vegas. Is there an on/off switch on your ADVC110?

After that I can't really suggest anything that others haven't already suggested!

Good luck!

Ian . . .

ps, your PM has just arrived. I'll reply direct. Cheers.

Paul Grove October 28th, 2007 04:21 AM

Aha Ian - exact;y the point I've reached! Turn my camera on and WIndows and Vegas pick it. Alas there is no such buton on the Canopus! :(

Ian Stark October 28th, 2007 04:29 AM

I have a small hammer that could be used as an on/off switch. (Well, as an off switch at least).

;-)

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 28th, 2007 06:27 AM

if this connection comes loose fairly often, try using a penknife to *VERY* carefully pull the sides of the 1394 connector apart. You probably won't be able to tell it's been widened, but it will make the connection much more solid.