DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Removing black bars after panning events (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/113661-removing-black-bars-after-panning-events.html)

Phil Gosselin January 31st, 2008 03:02 PM

Removing black bars after panning events

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

The title might me misleading so i'll let these two screnshots to the work for me.

Here's what I get when I pan/crop two events so that they can sit side by side, check the side by side attachement.

Now what would I have to do to get from there to there, check the "new" attachement.

Basically this is to remove the empty black areas. I know the resolution of this file would not be standard but it would fit in nicely in my new website.

Thanks

Jeff Harper January 31st, 2008 09:29 PM

What about taking the images into Photoshop etc and placing them on a black background that is the size you want and then going from there?

First you would determine the size the entire image would be, create black background that size, then place the images on the background and resize to fit?

Don Bloom February 1st, 2008 05:52 AM

Jeff is on the right track. Make a mask in your photo editor drop on to the top track in
Vegas and you'll be all set.

It COULD be done only in Vegas but would take about 8 tracks of generated media and a whole lot of patience.

You're better off in Photoshop.

Don

Phil Gosselin February 1st, 2008 07:40 PM

Hi,

I think I am an intelligent person, I understand most of what comes my way, I even reply sometimes to post on this board but this time I must say that I simply don't follow you guys.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around your explanation and it just doesn't make any sense. How photoshop got wrapped up in an issue with cropping events in Vegas is beyond me.

Couldn't I create a mask in Vegas instead?

Please light my candle,

Phil

Don Bloom February 1st, 2008 08:29 PM

no matter what size you crop to in Vegas you will have a black border around the image. the size of the border is determined by how much you resize the image using the pan/crop tool. So too make the black border smaller which I understood is what you want (forgive if I misunderstood) then you need a mask and while you can do it in Vegas using a photo editor like Photoshop is far easier.

Please correct if I'm wrong about exactly what you want to accomplish.

Don

Mike Kujbida February 1st, 2008 09:27 PM

Phil, if what you're after is an entire project that looks like the "new" attachment (1/2 height, right?), set your project properties to (assuming NTSC DV) to 720x240.
Open up the Pan/Crop window on each clip and try the following settings.

Clip Position Left / Clip Position Right
Width: 1440 / 1440
Height: 480 / 720
X Center: 720 / 0
Y Center: 240 / 240

Remember that you'll need to make a custom render preset to match the project property settings.

Phil Gosselin February 2nd, 2008 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well Mike that did it. I did change your values a bit so that a tiny black line would separate the two events

Two things though, first both heights had to be the same. Second, even if I did render in 720x240 the rendered file wouldn't have a proper ratio in media player (i tried 3 different players)

In Vegas when i arranged everything according to your instructions I noticed that the display size in the preview window was 872x240. I tried to render in that resolution but Vegas wouln't have it.

So I rendered in 720x240. I then dropped that file in Sorenson (the final format must be Flash) and rendered it again but this time in 872x240 and that did it.

Since this was too big I resized the whole thing in 654x180, check the attachement for the final result.

I knew there was a way to achieve this result through the pan/crop window.

Thank you very much

Phil