DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video/Audio speed reduction problems. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/113669-video-audio-speed-reduction-problems.html)

Dennis Murphy January 31st, 2008 04:35 PM

Video/Audio speed reduction problems.

I have video footage that I want to reduce by 50% speed.
I've been doing this by right clicking on the footage and in the properties display, changing the 'playback rate' from 1.0 to 0.5.
Unfortunately, this only reduces the speed of the video. I need the audio for this particular project to be slowed down by the same amount.
I know that Ctrl dragging the clip longer slows the audio as well, but I need to do it by 50% and find the dragging process infuriating in terms of finding that 50% speed reduction.

Any help hugely appreciated.

Edward Troxel January 31st, 2008 04:47 PM

After you set the video, right-click the AUDIO, go into the properties, and set the playback rate to .5 the same as you did for the video. They they will both be changed.

Dennis Murphy January 31st, 2008 05:15 PM

I don't have that option available when I right click on the audo file.

Mike Kujbida January 31st, 2008 06:17 PM

Change the setting in the "Method" box from "None" to "Classic".
Adjust as desired.

Dennis Murphy January 31st, 2008 06:44 PM

Cheers for the feedback y'all, but when I switch it from 'none' to 'classic', I still don't get an option where I can adjust the playback rate.
There is an 'original length' 'new length option', but having to calculate 50% of the original length then type it in on every file will do my head in.
Btw, I'm using Vegas 7.

Don Bloom January 31st, 2008 08:00 PM

there is a NON-REALTIME FX that is called (IIRC) TIme Stretch. You can adjust the audio using that FX.

Don

Edward Troxel January 31st, 2008 09:36 PM

Ok, try this:

Go to View - Active Take Information

Now when you use CTRL and resize the event, the percentage change will be displayed at the right edge of the audio track.

Alternately, you could turn on "Ignore Event Grouping" and CTRL-resize the audio to match the video you previously changed.

Dennis Murphy January 31st, 2008 09:39 PM

Tried that time stretch, jeepers, it works, but it creates a new file and if you've trimmed the clip you're stuffed as it does the whole thing.

I wish there was an equally simple way of reducing the audio speed as there is of the video. Vegas is obviously capable of doing it simply due to how it stretches everything when you do a Ctrl drag of a clip... but you can't specify an exact percentage doing it that way.

Aaaargh!

Edward Troxel January 31st, 2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy (Post 818045)
Vegas is obviously capable of doing it simply due to how it stretches everything when you do a Ctrl drag of a clip... but you can't specify an exact percentage doing it that way.

Actually, you CAN - via a script. I use Excalibur to do this all the time.

Dennis Murphy January 31st, 2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 818077)
Actually, you CAN - via a script. I use Excalibur to do this all the time.

Thanks Edward.
I just tried the 'Active Take Information' solution - fantastic. That's a lot more workable.
I just downloaded the trial of excalibur, and tried the duration adjustment, but still it only affected the video stream. It is handy how it lengthens the clip to what the new duration is.
Is there a way of getting it to do the audio automatically in conjunction with the video?
Cheers.

Edward Troxel February 1st, 2008 10:00 AM

Yes. You have to SELECT the events you want adjusted. It works on selected events.

Dennis Murphy February 1st, 2008 09:32 PM

Worked a treat Edward. Now 'that' is a timesaver!
Cheers.

Edward Troxel February 2nd, 2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy (Post 818837)
Worked a treat Edward. Now 'that' is a timesaver!

Scripts - the best kept secret of Vegas.