DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro 8 & dynamic Ram preview (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/116361-vegas-pro-8-dynamic-ram-preview.html)

Paul Kellett March 5th, 2008 09:45 AM

Vegas Pro 8 & dynamic Ram preview

I'm trying to build a dynamic ram preview when adding effects,so i can watch without the jittering during the effects.
I follow the help instructions on building dynamic ram,but it's only letting me build a preview of around 2 seconds even though i've selected the whole clip,(40 seconds),I've adjusted my dynamic ram from 256 up to 1024 which is what i've got available,it makes no difference,the only way that the timeline scrubber will move more than 2 seconds is if i set my dynamic ram to 1mb,the scrubber will then travel the full length of the clip but doesn't make any difference to the preview,it's still jittery.

My pc is quad core q6600,4gb ram,with a nvidia 8600gt 1gb ram graphics card.
Can someone help cos i'm getting fed up with jittery effects when trying to edit. It's even more jittery on the 2nd monitor.

Thanks,Paul.

Andy Wilkinson March 5th, 2008 10:00 AM

Apologies if this sounds like a stupidly obvious question/statement but you've got Vegas installed on one hard drive (say your C drive, the one with all the operating system on it) and all your video files on other drive(s)...I think you said you has eSATA in another thread. Correct?

Paul Kellett March 5th, 2008 10:03 AM

Gave up with the esata,could get it to work correct. Now using firwire for external drive and footage.
Just noticed that 720/50p isn't as jittery with effects. Can go up to 32mb preview ram and still get full clip built.not perfect though.
1080/50i seems the worst.
Thanks,Paul.

Paul Kellett March 5th, 2008 12:15 PM

Ok i've come to the conclussion it's the 1080/50i footage from my EX1,or the 1080/50i project setting.
The 720/50p footage looks so smooth,even with basic effects like credit scrolls with the small preview and 2nd monitor on,still smooth.

Now here's the thing,if i haven't got any footage in the timeline but my project settings are 1080/50i,if i just put a credit scroll in the timeline,just the scroll alone is jittery,so either vegas doesn't like interlaced or it's the monitor,but seeing as interlaced is only jittery when the second monitor is activated i reckon it's vegas,i've tried swapping the preview monitors around and the problem persists.

With 720/50p i don't need dynamic ram preview with basic effects.
however when i loose the smoothness due to more extreme effects,is chromakey or heavy distortion,the dynamic ram doesn't help.I can't have anymore than 64mb as dynamic ram or i can't have any dynamic ram preview at all.

I don't think my pc is at fault here,quad core,4gb ram,graphics card with 1gb.

I'm liking 50p more and more.

Paul.