DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVD for the UK? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/117458-dvd-uk.html)

David Delaney March 20th, 2008 06:24 PM

DVD for the UK?

I am making a DVD using Architect 3.0 for the UK - but living in North America, is there a way I can ensure that it will work for the region? Thanks

Seth Bloombaum March 20th, 2008 08:37 PM

My experience was as follows:

1) People have told me "just render NTSC, viewers in Europe can see it on their PAL DVD players & TV sets because PAL is so wonderful". This is partly true. Most PAL systems seem to see most NTSC DVDs most of the time. Wasn't good enough for me, and I personally saw some of my work in Europe played this way - it looked good, except it was black & white only, no chroma! "Most of the time" wasn't good enough for my projects.

2) People using computers for playback of their DVDs will almost always be able to handle an NTSC or a PAL DVD.

3) What I did was render from my NTSC timeline to a PAL MPEG2 for DVDA. I then took my existing NTSC DVDA project and changed its properties to PAL and imported the PAL MPEG2 - this worked fine.

How I checked it was to try my DVD in a PC - PowerDVD or whatever reported it as a PAL disk, and in fact, my PAL viewers were happy with it.

David Delaney March 21st, 2008 05:08 PM

Ok, so this is all in the render settings? That would be great because I am running out of time and want to get it over there before I have to spend $70.00 on priority shipping.
Is it just : render > DV PAL?

Mike Kujbida March 21st, 2008 05:31 PM

Yep. Just follow Seth's step #3 and you'll be all set.

Stuart Campbell March 23rd, 2008 06:22 AM

Yep, make sure you create a PAL disk. Don't rely on PAL systems playing NTSC. There's a reason why we call NTSC 'Never The Same Colour (twice)' in PAL world!!

Mike Kujbida March 23rd, 2008 07:51 AM

Stuart, we call it that in the NTSC world too :-(

Martin Mayer March 23rd, 2008 08:33 AM

PAL = Paid for, Added Luxury!

David Delaney March 23rd, 2008 11:55 AM

Is there a way of making a PAL disk in Arch 3?

Seth Bloombaum March 23rd, 2008 01:05 PM

Once again, start with a PAL render from Vegas, best practice is to render direct to PAL MPEG2 for DVD Architect from the Vegas timeline.

Then, in an existing or new DVDA project, change project properties to PAL.

I'm pretty sure the first time I did this I was working with DVDA-3. Exact same process as 4 or 4.5.

David Delaney March 24th, 2008 10:21 AM

Ok, I made the movie as a PAL in DVD Arch 3 - I just can't figure out how to check it! I have WinDVD, but can't find the feature for properties of the DVD to see what it says - whether it is PAL or NTSC.
I did try with VLC and WMP but can't find anything after a hurried glance to show if the DVD is in face, actually PAL. Any little programs or freeware that will give the info?