DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Platinum 64 bit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/121441-vegas-platinum-64-bit.html)

Matthew Brown May 12th, 2008 08:52 AM

Vegas Platinum 64 bit?

I've seen the releases and read the threads that a 64 bit version of Vegas Pro is coming in the fall, but what about the Platinum edition?

Vegas Pro is too much for me. I can't justify the cost, but since I have a AMD 64 quad core Phenom and Vista 64, I'm wondering if I should wait. If a 64 bit version of Platinum is coming out, then I'm thinking yes I should.

Thoughts?

Matt Brown

John Cline May 12th, 2008 03:03 PM

The upcoming 64bit version of Vegas Pro will be positioned above the current 32bit Vegas Pro. I rather doubt there will be a 64bit version of Vegas Platinum.

Jeff Harper May 13th, 2008 12:10 PM

I agree with John. Sounds very unlikely.

Roger Shealy May 13th, 2008 05:52 PM

I hope Sony is generous with their upgrades. I'm about 2 months into V8Pro and just bought another copy for work! I read all the releases about 64 coming out late 2007, then early 2008; now I can't find anything about it at all. Couldn't wait and hope they treat their customers fairly.

Jeff Harper May 13th, 2008 05:59 PM

At any rate their past upgrade price has been around $150 to registered users, which is not bad.

Roger Shealy May 13th, 2008 07:37 PM

I'm curious to see what performance gains it brings. Right now my 3.2GHz dual runs @ 99% while rendering; I wonder how much it will speed things up before another part of the system becomes the pacing element. I imagine fast HDD's, solid state drives, and RAM will become increasingly valuable as we throw twice the information per tick.

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2008 02:44 AM

Roger, I beleive the 64 bit version will be a free upgrade of Vers 8, so no worries there. You're not the only one who is anxious. I've been waiting also. I have to admit though that editing only SD I'm pretty happy with the performance of my rapidly aging Quad core.

Roger Shealy May 14th, 2008 04:58 AM

Jeff,

If your quad is rapidly aging, my dual is ancient! I'd love to know what the true difference is on Vegas between a dual and a quad; how effectively does it use the extra processors, especially since many of the duals clock faster. I bet there's a post of some controlled tests on this matter if I can only find it.

I often shoot HDV and reframe the material during editing and render in SD. Given I'm a self-taught hack, it helps to shoot a little wide and clean things up in the software. Having extra pixels on the front provides a lot of grace on the back end.

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2008 05:00 AM

Main thing is it renders about twice as fast.

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2008 06:19 AM

FYI Roger, I just rendered a 1:40 minute project with color correction in 43 minutes, to give you an idea of what the Q6600 processor will do. I said rapidly aging in reference to my processor because it is almost a year old and is not up to HD workflow recommendations at only 2.4Ghz. Nevertheless, I am very happy with it and am extremely grateful to have it. Since I am not dabbling in HD yet it will last me awhile longer!

Edward Troxel May 14th, 2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Shealy (Post 876793)
I hope Sony is generous with their upgrades. I'm about 2 months into V8Pro and just bought another copy for work! I read all the releases about 64 coming out late 2007, then early 2008; now I can't find anything about it at all. Couldn't wait and hope they treat their customers fairly.

It was announced at NAB that the 64bit version would be a free upgrade for current Vegas Pro 8 users. It was also announced that DVD Architect 5 would be a free upgrade to DVD Architect 4.5 users adding Blu-Ray authoring.

Roger Shealy May 14th, 2008 02:28 PM

Thanks Ed and Jeff. Good info on both accounts.

David Wayne Groves May 16th, 2008 05:21 PM

Yours as well as my Quadcore Q6600 at 2.4 in quit capable of editing and handling the current HD AVCHD format...with my setup which consists of Vista 64Bit, 4Gig RAM, Q6600 2.4, and a 8800GTX, Pinnacle Ultimate 11... I can make a project movie an hour in length from several edited AVCHD clips, with simple transitions, and with intro Title menu's, including selected background music, rendered and burned to a AVCHD disc for PS3 Bluray playback,I am looking at about 3 1/2 Hours from render to DVD disc...Not bad in my book....I just purchased Vegas 8 so I am looking forward to more options that I can take advantage of.....