DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Next update ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/122913-next-update.html)

Robin Lobel June 2nd, 2008 03:40 AM

Next update ?

Does anyone know when Vegas Pro 8.0c will be available for download ?

Thanks !

John Cline June 2nd, 2008 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lobel (Post 886988)
Does anyone know when Vegas Pro 8.0c will be available for download ?

Thanks !

I don't know specifically, but I heard that it will probably be later this month (June) along with the release of DVD Architect v5.0. Of course, I could be wrong.

Christian de Godzinsky June 2nd, 2008 04:47 AM

Hi,

Hmm... this is a long awaited update...

Is there any information (or any rumour about) which known issues (problems) it adresses?

To my understanding there is also possibly some improvement in the AVCHD editing speed?

Christian

John Cline June 2nd, 2008 05:22 AM

That's what I hear.

Christian de Godzinsky June 2nd, 2008 05:49 AM

Hi,

Thanks John for the "confirmation" ;)

It seems that the current 8.0b version is NOT using all available cores efficiently in preview, as it does most of the time during renders...

If SCS only would get this fixed, there would be a tremendeous difference in editing speed, at least for us with quad-cores :)

Hopefully some other essential fixes are included too..

Christian

Paul Kellett June 2nd, 2008 10:26 AM

How do you know that vegas doesn't use all four cores during rendering ?

Go to the bottom of the screen
>task bar
>right click
>task manager
>Processes
>vegas
>right click
>set affinity
>make sure all 4 cores are ticked.

Paul.

Christian de Godzinsky June 3rd, 2008 01:13 AM

Paul,

Thanks for your comments. I wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian de Godzinsky (Post 887009)
It seems that the current 8.0b version is NOT using all available cores efficiently in preview, as it does most of the time during renders...

Exuse me if I did not state it correctly (my mother tongue is not English), what I meant was: "why does not Vegas use all cores during preview, when it uses all cores during render"...

Probably there is a fix in the works... hopefully already in 8.0c

Christian

Graham Bernard June 4th, 2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian de Godzinsky (Post 887558)
"why does not Vegas use all cores during preview, when it uses all cores during render"

How do you KNOW Vegas Preview isn't using all 4 cores?

Grazie

Adam Letch June 4th, 2008 02:04 AM

look at Pauls post and see if you have Vegas yourself

mine only averages 50% on a quad core Q6600

Graham Bernard June 4th, 2008 02:15 AM

OK? But that to me doesn't mean it isn't using all 4? Yeah? All it means is that there is 50% activity.

Now, you are comparing rendering to Preview. I could argue that rendering is a constant stream - mostly! - Previewing has to take into account a bit more than that. I am out of comfort zone on this, but there could very well be a difference ion the management of the CPUs when dealing with Previewing than render - yeah? Well, it would seem that there is.

If you have done the 4 affinity test then you/I/we have to believe that all 4 CPUs are being utilized. To what %-tile efficiency and for what task, your guess is as good as mine.

Grazie

Christian de Godzinsky June 6th, 2008 06:09 AM

Hi,

On my quad core QX9650 (@3,8GHz) machine - all cores run nicely close to 100% utilization when rendering - and the process is really pushing the CPU to its limits. The only time this does not happen (during rendering) is if I have used some filters that are not multi-thread enabled...

During preview and working to the timeline, I NEVER experience such high CPU load, it is at most something like 20..35% - average on the 4 cores.

Definitively, the preview of the Vegas timeline is not optimized for quad cores. I have all my settings optimized (affinity, number of cores etc.).

The reason for the slow response is not my system. The memory bandwidth is 8.5Byte/s (4GB of DDR3), and my two internal and one external disk transfer better than 70MB/s. Theys scream and are able to handle those streams on the timeline with no penalty.

I live in the hope that 8.0c adresses this. Hopefully it is released the same date as DVDA5 (16th of July).

Christian