DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVD Architect 5 released (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/125081-dvd-architect-5-released.html)

Rick Diaz July 1st, 2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 901661)
Is DVD A 5 free if you already have DVDA 4.5?

Uhm, not quite. You have to have the Pro version of DVDA that comes with Vegas Pro. Apparently, us poor shmucks that only have the Platinum version or bought DVDA as a standalone have no upgrade path to this new version as our DVDA serial numbers don't work and Sony is not going to sell it standalone. Typical Sony. :(

Alastair Brown July 1st, 2008 11:42 PM

OK, I awoke to find a completed Blu-Ray disc waiting for me and a succesful burn message. RESULT!

Total elapsed time was 10hr's 32mins on my Quad Core system.

Total length of disc contents was 1hr 55min (115min) of footage.

Well done Sony!

Jason Robinson July 2nd, 2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Diaz (Post 901934)
Uhm, not quite. You have to have the Pro version of DVDA that comes with Vegas Pro. Apparently, us poor shmucks that only have the Platinum version or bought DVDA as a standalone have no upgrade path to this new version as our DVDA serial numbers don't work and Sony is not going to sell it standalone. Typical Sony. :(

Yeah that does sound like a raw deal. My advice.... bump up to the Vegas+DVDA bundle. It is a great combination and only runs you ~$160 a year if you keep the upgrade path, or $160 every other year (because they seem to allow upgrades as old as 3 years old.... I went from v6 to v8).

Renton Maclachlan July 2nd, 2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 901969)
Yeah that does sound like a raw deal. My advice.... bump up to the Vegas+DVDA bundle. It is a great combination and only runs you ~$160 a year if you keep the upgrade path, or $160 every other year (because they seem to allow upgrades as old as 3 years old.... I went from v6 to v8).

You can sell on the old version when you up grade and Sony will transfere the licence. Only the new owner does not get upgrade rights. I've made a little bit on each upgrade so far - 6>7>8...

Tom Roper July 2nd, 2008 08:59 AM

I own Vegas Pro 8.0b and have downloaded and tried the DVD-A 5.0 update.

DVD-A 5.0 will burn a blu-ray mpeg2 project onto regular DVD media but it will not auto-play on the PS3, and won't have chapters or the menu features.

If you just want to work with smaller mpeg2 projects that fit on regular DVD5/9 media, and use a regular burner the free program TSmuxer is a more functional authoring utility. It's not so restrictive about compliant content, thus allowing me to author and playback XDCAM 35mbps VBR instead of only what you have to recompress with DVD-A 5.0 if not from one of the Vegas standard blu-ray templates.

TSmuxer won't create menus, but it does autoplay on the PS3 and does have chapters, it is less restrictive and it's free for those of you who don't have DVD-A 5.0.

TSmuxer creates an AVCHD container around your mpeg2 video, doesn't re-encode it, and spoofs the PS3 into auto-playing it with chapters. It's a very handy utility to have, with some other useful features for multiplexing streams, creating m2ts streams.

I sound like a salesman, but I'm just making you aware of the DVD-A 5.0 limitations with mpeg2 and regular DVD media, and that you don't have to buy anything to author blu-ray mpeg2 onto regular DVD media.

I hope that helps. You can google TSmuxer, and download it from the doom9 forum or one of the mirrors, videohelp.com etc.

Duane Adam July 2nd, 2008 10:31 AM

OK I mastered a project to blu ray 1080 60i 25mps and when playing it back it seems to choke the blu ray player.

Many commercial blu rays seems the have a long pre buffer but I haven't been able to find any way to include that. Any ideas??

Tom Roper July 2nd, 2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 902214)
OK I mastered a project to blu ray 1080 60i 25mps and when playing it back it seems to choke the blu ray player.

Many commercial blu rays seems the have a long pre buffer but I haven't been able to find any way to include that. Any ideas??

Is it the PS3? I've been able to choke it as well, but it took native XDCAM 35 mbps VBR.

Duane Adam July 2nd, 2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 902231)
Is it the PS3? I've been able to choke it as well, but it took native XDCAM 35 mbps VBR.

Mine is a BDP S300. I burned another at 8mps and it played fine but there were noticeable compression artifacts. I'm trying another HDV file with VBR at 2M, 15M 25M. Is there a pre buffer command in DVDA 5.0? The 25mbs sure looks good.

Paul Kepen July 21st, 2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 901727)
Wow that was easy. Just burned an HD disc without a Blu Ray burner on a standard DVD and it played in my Blu Ray player (AVCHD file). Looked pretty good.

Hi Duane,
Just wondering what BluRay player you have? I have the Panasonic BD-30. It gives an error message, something like; "disc type DVD" followed by "wrong format." (These are not the exact words, but words to this affect as I recall).

I am using Vegas 8 Pro (not DVDA 5.0) to make a BluRay disc and outputing on a regular DVD-R. I have tried it with both mpeg-2 and AVCHD codecs. I have also tried this with Ulead Movie factory and I get the same error message. The burning seems to complete successfully, it just won't play in the BluRay player. The original file is from HDV camcorder and is in 1440x1080i format. The Ulead MovieFactory supports both BluRay and HDDVD. It works just fine for HDDVD, but since that format is dead, I would like to use BluRay.
Am I doing something wrong? Is it the 1440x1080 vs 1920x1080 format that is causing the problem? Or is it just that the Panasonic BD-30 won't support BluRay format on a DVD-R?
Any input/suggestions you may have - and the type of BluRay players that work for you, would be most appreciated. Thanks - PK

Jon Fairhurst July 21st, 2008 11:18 AM

Here's a thread that lists compatible players. Maybe yours is listed in one of the replies:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...pic=20850&st=0

Paul Kepen July 21st, 2008 11:40 AM

Thanks Jon

Thanks for the link Jon. Unfortunately, it is older and while it does show the then current Panasonic BD-10 as being compatible, there is no mention of the BD-30.
It's funny, because I first purchased the Sony S-300 last fall, but when the manual said it was not compatible with BD-R, I returned it and picked up the BD-30 which does list BD-R. Obviously firmware updates must have changed things on the S-300.

I saw Duane's successful burning on page 1 of this thread, so I quoted and asked what player he uses. Now I see if I would have continued to page 2 of the thread I would have seen that he has the S-300, so sorry for asking a question that was already answered.

One other question I have. If I upgrade to DVDA 5, what happens to all my projects that are in DVDA 4.5? Will they work with DVDA 5 ?
Thanks - PK