DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Trouble sliding events back in V8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/127765-trouble-sliding-events-back-v8.html)

Ron Cooper August 10th, 2008 06:29 AM

Trouble sliding events back in V8

Try and picture this : I have events along & accross the timeline then a gap, and then more events along & accross. All I now want to do is bring the furthest lot of events all together, back to the end of the first lot so there is continuity.

I have been able to select all the events on the RHS but when I try to pull them back, they move OK as a group, BUT, just some other events on the LHS move back as well. I am completely dumbfounded as I have tried ALL selections in the "auto ripple" button, as well as having this turned off, yet I cannot achieve what I want to do.

Any suggestions please.

R.C.

John Rofrano August 10th, 2008 08:09 AM

Are any of the events on the RHS grouped to events on the LHS? This will cause them to move together. Here is how you check: Turn Ripple Edit off. Select the first event on RHS of the track and right-click and choose Select Events to End. This will select all of the events from that point to the end of the track. Now move that first event on the RHS. If events on the LHS move, you have them grouped. Otherwise, this should allow you to move the events are close the gap.

~jr

Ron Cooper August 10th, 2008 08:03 PM

Thanks John. I did your test (with difficulty as the first event was very small), and yes there is a section on the LHS grouped but I want all these to stay put when I drag the RHS back.

I tried the selection edit tool & get the dotted lines around the RHS group, but I can't seem to be able to pull them. I even tried the selection edit tool but couldn't get this to work either. I would have assumed that once you have a selection like this you would be able to simply drag it all along, but not so. Also, how do you get rid of the little selection band at the top.
So how do I pull the RHS group in sync all together back to join with the LHS group ?

R.C.

Edward Troxel August 10th, 2008 08:25 PM

Try turning on "Ignore Event Grouping" and see how that works. Just don't forget to turn it off when finished.

Ron Cooper August 10th, 2008 08:50 PM

Thanks very much Edward, this seems to work ! - I don't understand why though, because I thought you would loose sync by not having events grouped together ??

I would like to suggest that all this slipping & sliding I seem to get caught up in, could be greatly simplified if there was a button to simply select all to the right of the cursor and have it lock together so you can easily move whole blocks around quickly & easily. ( This is available in Premiere)

Perhaps Vegas 8c !!

R.C.

Edward Troxel August 11th, 2008 07:13 AM

There are scripts that will let you select "all to the right of the cursor" but you'd still need to "ungroup" them from all events to the left of the cursor or they'd move as well. (or use Ignore Event Grouping as you did this time)