DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Trimming today's very long clips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/127905-trimming-todays-very-long-clips.html)

Steve Mullen August 12th, 2008 11:04 AM

Trimming today's very long clips?

With DV/HDV and scene detection, most clips contained a single shot.

Now with harddisk recording, this is not the case. For example, someone might shoot a 1-hour B-roll during a wedding.

Logic from other NLEs suggests using the Vegas "double-click to Trimmer" mode and then make subclips in the Trimmer. According to the HELP file, pressing I or [ sets an "in-point" while pressing O or ] sets an "out-point." (VERY little discussion of this mode!)

With all other NLEs one would get an IN mark and an OUT mark. However, with Vegas, pressing any of these inserts an upside-down yellow triangle. OK -- that kind of makes sense.

One further assumes that after placing the triangle with an I or [ then when you press O or ] the triangle will split creating a region. Nope! The whole triangle simply jumps to the new point. What am I doing wrong?

Let's assume we solve this:

1) Missing buttons for GOTO IN and GOTO OUT

2) How to re-trim and IN or OUT point -- move the in-mark and/or out-mark using the arrow keys

3) How to instantly clear a region, i.e., Clear In & Out.

Lastly, for those who don't use the Trimmer -- how do you handle sending long clips into a Timeline (which might accidentally be inserted into a partially completed Sequence) and then create subclips and MOVE them to a Bin? (I understand Timeline trimming in the days where each clip was a shot.)

Terry Esslinger August 12th, 2008 12:17 PM

The subclip is not really another clip. That is to say it doesn't take up disc space. It is just a set of directioons that tell the program which parts of the master clip to use. If you want a separate clip you could highlight (region) the area that you want and then do a "render to new.." This will also place the clip in the media bin.

Rich Ellis August 12th, 2008 12:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with tapes, didn't scene detection only work if you stopped and restarted recording? Same as with hard disk? If you let tape roll for an hour, wouldn't you get an hour long clip?

If you select a range in the trimmer, you should be able to right-click somewhere (I can't remember exactly -- in the selection maybe) and select "Create subclip". It will be added to the Project Media.

I would not do "render to new" as that WILL create a new file and thus consume disk space.

Steve Mullen August 12th, 2008 02:59 PM

I understand subclips and the Trimmer has a button to make them.

But, I'm not sure how to make a subclip from the Timeline. Certainly, I do not want to render a new clip.

So, the same set of questions remain open.

PS: yes, with tape one could record long clips. But, with a 120GB disk holding over 12 hours of video, it has become far more common.

Don Bloom August 12th, 2008 05:50 PM

I use version 6 but I THINK it's the same. With the clip on the timeline right click to the menu and goto Create Subclip. Again I don't think it changed. If it did then I apologize in advance.

Don

Steve Mullen August 12th, 2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 919822)
I use version 6 but I THINK it's the same. With the clip on the timeline right click to the menu and goto Create Subclip. Again I don't think it changed. If it did then I apologize in advance.

Don

Thank you -- I'll try it.

Actually -- that leaves the question -- how does one set IN and OUT?

Which still leaves my questions on the Trimmer. Doesn't anyone use it?

Edward Troxel August 12th, 2008 08:07 PM

Steve, personally I don't use the trimmer except in special circumstances. I just split things on the timeline.

Also, the I/O keys don't work if you have "Collapse Loop Region" turned on (which I do).

Steve Mullen August 12th, 2008 08:40 PM

That explains the I/O not working! Thank you.

I wonder if that why TOGGLE PLAY = SPACE jumps back in the Timeline and why TOGGLE doesn't work in the Trimmer.

Any single key to zap away a Region?

Adam Letch August 13th, 2008 01:26 AM

Hey Steve

I only just watched this on VASST DVD last night, all you do is click drag your in and out point, and the make a subclip. Is this what your asking about?

Regards

Adam

Steve Mullen August 13th, 2008 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Letch (Post 919942)
I only just watched this on VASST DVD last night, all you do is click drag your in and out point, and the make a subclip. Is this what your asking about?

Dragging to create a region is something one does when editing audio -- one drags through a waveform. It is not how video editing works -- except in Vegas. Withl other NLE's you set IN and OUT points -- there is no region created. Hence, none to clear.

Michael Wisniewski August 13th, 2008 05:44 AM

From the trimmer, I usually set the I/O points, then add to the timeline (A). Afterwards, I'll select all the clips on the timeline (Ctrl+A), and right click to create sub-clips.

But in Vegas, I think it's faster to chop up video on the timeline using the split command (S), and then delete unwanted video. I'll turn on auto-ripple so there are no gaps. I believe there's a script around somewhere that will delete all gaps, after you've chopped up the video clips.

Michael Wisniewski August 13th, 2008 06:03 AM

On the timeline, I like to use the numeric keypad (make sure NumLock is off).

The main navigation keys are:
4 and 6 which let you move left and right, you can force them to move 1 frame at a time by holding down the ALT key
8 and 2 zoom in/out of the timeline

Jumping around:
7 and 1 jump to the I/O points
9 and 3 jump along timeline by larger increments (not sure how to modify this)

Play/pause
Enter key on numeric keypad toggles play/pause.

* they work a little different on the trimmer, I'm still trying to figure out the differences.

Michael Wisniewski August 13th, 2008 06:21 AM

Oops forgot to mention, use NumLock to toggle the numeric keypad from navigation to edit mode. When the NumLock is ON:

To trim:
7 and 9 navigate to the edit points
4 and 6 trim the edit points

To move:
5 unselects the edit points
4 and 6 move the current clip left and right

Enter on numeric keypad - play/pause

but I think that's probably off topic already.