DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Movie Studio 9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/128158-vegas-movie-studio-9-a.html)

John Gilmore August 17th, 2008 08:04 AM

Vegas Movie Studio 9

I see that Sony have announced Vegas Movie Studio 9.

I don't know much about video editing software but I was wondering how this compares to Vegas Pro and if it would be a viable alternative.

Harold Brown August 17th, 2008 08:43 AM

If you want to get started editing I would think it is a very good start. It has most of the features of the Pro version and it is very easy to learn (compared to some other systems). It is also very competitively priced and they reduced prices for version 9 this year. You get a lot for your money. Make sure you look at the "Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro Pack" when you are deciding what to buy. It is great value and includes "NewBlue 3D Transitions and Effects". The main difference that I know about is that the video and audio tracks each are limited to 4 while in the pro version it is unlimited. I have never used the Studio version so I cannot talk in detail what the differences are between studio and pro but check this link out to see: Sony Creative Software - Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack - Vegas Family Comparison

Jeff Harper August 17th, 2008 09:41 AM

I agree that the Studio products are a great place to start.there is absolutely no reason to purchase Pro initially, that I can think of. The built in tutorial that comes with the Studio line is also awesome...

John Gilmore August 17th, 2008 02:59 PM

OK thanks.

I have a Sony EX1, will it handle everything I need for Blu-ray etc?

What does Pro offer that Studio doesn't?

Edward Troxel August 17th, 2008 03:44 PM

The Pro version (8.0b) and Movie Studio Platinum 9 will both burn blu-ray straight from the timeline (from what I've read about VMS9 - I use Vegas Pro 8).

If you need AUTHORING for blu-ray, you may need the pro version with DVD Architect 5. I don't know that any "Movie Studio" version provides authoring (i.e. creating menus...)

If you're just getting started, I agree that VMS is a reasonable first step. However, the Pro version definitely adds a LOT of additional features.

John Gilmore August 19th, 2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Brown (Post 921317)
The main difference that I know about is that the video and audio tracks each are limited to 4 while in the pro version it is unlimited. I have never used the Studio version so I cannot talk in detail what the differences are between studio and pro but check this link out to see: Sony Creative Software - Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack - Vegas Family Comparison

Looking at the comparison provided via the link I see that only Pro offers "XDCAM Support". Does anyone know what that involves?

Rick Diaz August 26th, 2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 921404)
If you need AUTHORING for blu-ray, you may need the pro version with DVD Architect 5. I don't know that any "Movie Studio" version provides authoring (i.e. creating menus...)

Ed, if you are referring only to BD authoring, your statement above is correct. But the version of DVDA that shipped with Vegas MSP8 does indeed do authoring with menus for other types of DVDs.

Have you had a chance to trial MSP9? Any improvements that make it worth upgrading from MSP8? You think MSP will ever see a 64-bit version release?

Jeff Harper August 27th, 2008 12:29 AM

John, it means if you have an XDCam it will work with it. If you have an EX1 you need Vegas Pro, unless I'm mistaken.

I imagine only Vegas Pro will initially come out in 64 bit version as well, which will make your life much easier also, provided you have 64 bit system.

Edward Troxel August 27th, 2008 07:15 AM

That's why I specified "authoring for blu-ray" in my statement - so, yes, I was "referring only to BD authoring"

Rick Diaz August 29th, 2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 925433)
I imagine only Vegas Pro will initially come out in 64 bit version as well, which will make your life much easier also, provided you have 64 bit system.

I do, I do!!! :)

Anthony Smith August 29th, 2008 10:51 PM

hi,
so most of the professionals prefer vegas pro rather than premiere pro ?

Seth Bloombaum August 30th, 2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Smith (Post 926883)
hi,
so most of the professionals prefer vegas pro rather than premiere pro ?

Umm... it's probably fair to say most of the professionals on the Vegas forum prefer it to Premiere.

In fairness, Premiere has, I believe, a larger installed base. But if you really want what people believe to be industry standards with the largest professional following, you'll be choosing between AVID and Final Cut Pro.

In the meantime, most Vegas editors are happy to be editing with the speed, reliability, ease of dealing with multiple formats, unparalleled sound mixing, and general quality that Vegas provides for 98% of what most pro editors do every day.

Now, if you're conforming a film negative, or any of a host of other specialty tasks, AVID and FCP really shine, not only because of their native capabilities, but because of what third-party software developers have written for them.

If you're in and out of After Effects all the time, the Adobe CS3 Suite with Premiere offers some nice media management across AE and Premiere.

None of that describes my day-to-day work, and I'm very satisfied with Vegas. I also teach in a college program where we are FCP-based, and that's a good thing for us to be offering our students.

John Gilmore September 11th, 2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 925433)
If you have an EX1 you need Vegas Pro, unless I'm mistaken.

Wow, I was just about to buy it too.

Does anyone know if that is definitely correct? That is, an EX1 will not work with Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro.

Jeff Harper September 11th, 2008 02:22 PM

Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 8 - Vegas Family Comparison

Look under XDCAM support