DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   I hit DELETE button in Explorer Window FILES ARE NOW GONE! HELP.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/141223-i-hit-delete-button-explorer-window-files-now-gone-help.html)

David Ruhland January 9th, 2009 10:03 AM

I hit DELETE button in Explorer Window FILES ARE NOW GONE! HELP..

OOOPS.. As i am learning Vegas Pro 8.0c I think i just learned (please tell me im wrong) if I highlight the video clips in the CLIP EXPLORER window and click DELETE the files not only disappear from the window, but also from the Hard Drive. Is this correct?? Tell me its not so PLEASE!

I have checked my recycle bin and nothing...

Are the files somwhere else?

Is there a way to HIDE or cut the files from the explorer window without deleting them from the hard Drive?

At this point I am really happy I have individual tapes to go back to and recapture!

Dave

Jeff Harper January 9th, 2009 10:21 AM

If you deleted in explorer they are gone. Yes you are lucky to have the tape. If you don't want to view windows explorer uncheck it from the views panel.

Only other solution is to use a data recovery program such as Seagate has, but the files will often be corrupted when recovered.

Garrett Low January 9th, 2009 10:24 AM

The explorer window acts like the explorer in Windows. When you delete it from there you delete the file from the directory. If you want to remove it from the project go to the Project Media tab. When you delete from there you have a choice to either just remove it from the project or delete it from the project and delete it from your computer.

The file is actually still on your computer. It won't show up in your Trash but you can get an undelete program that will find it. Just don't keep using your computer until you do undelete it or you risk over-writing that sector on your harddrive.

John Miller January 9th, 2009 12:07 PM

It depends on the size of the file. Below a certain size, Windows will simply change its location to the Recycle Bin. Above that size, it will permanently delete them. Not that it helps in this case, but if you *want* to permanently delete the smaller files, press Shift-Delete.

Garrett Low January 9th, 2009 03:05 PM

Windows doesn't actually ever permanently delete any data. It just flags those sectors of the drive as available for storage. Until it is overwritten with new data, the old data is still on your drive. That's why if you have any private data on a drive (such as bank account numbers, SS numbers, passwords) you need to wipe the drive or use a secure delete method that writes zeros to the deleted sectors.

And you can go into the registry and change the size of the files that windows will allow you to put into the recycle bin.

I've even recovered files from a drive that had it's partition deleted, a new one built, and reformatted.

Garrett

John Miller January 9th, 2009 05:32 PM

IGNORE - helps if I read things more carefully.

David Ruhland January 10th, 2009 09:59 AM

Too Funny...

John... Im with you..if I would have read the second pop up window more carefully i would have seen that it said "are you sure you want to permantly delete file from project and system"

Oh well i wont make that mistake again!