DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Terrible looking playback in Vegas??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/141782-terrible-looking-playback-vegas.html)

Tim Cee January 18th, 2009 10:30 PM

What you are saying Bryan makes sense to me as I have no clue. It just seems a bad way to view and edit when you can not see the image playback accurately. If anything comes up will you let me know? I appreciate all your help Bryan and the rest of you all too.

Ian Stark January 19th, 2009 01:31 AM

Yes, I'd opt for that last one, Bryan. I think Tim is maybe comparing the quality of what he sees on his computer screen with what he sees when he views his footage on the camera (or TV). It will never look the same (or as good). It's simply down to the technology differences between the way the two devices display video. It's one of the reasons why we have to make two versions of a project for those clients who want to use it on the web *and* show it on a TV screen.

John Estcourt January 19th, 2009 01:46 AM

Tim I undock my preview window and make it larger ie 779x438x32 and it looks very sharp.
I just went and checked what happens if I change my settings to good auto and the preview becomes more pixilated at that size.If I change back to good full, keeping the scale video checked, the window is very sharp, better than cameras lcd by far (if only the xh-a1 lcd was that good). this is with 50i footage converted to ciniform avi.
For your info i am using an intel q9300 overclocked to 2.9ghz and 4gb ddr.
graphics card is nvidia 8800gt (but vegas doesnt use graphics card for preview).
good luck sorry cant offer any more help.
john

Dave Blackhurst January 19th, 2009 03:17 AM

Tim -
Silly question, are you trying to edit HDV or AVCHD? HDV is handled pretty well by Vegas, AVCHD is so-so, and you really pay a huge price in the preview window, it's doable, but it reminds me of the early days of HDV when it was a PITA to edit in Vegas...

I only asked because you mentioned Canon and "tiny little LCD", and there are quite a few Canon AVCHD 'corders out there... (I shoot small Sonys, and the AVCHD is still clunky, but doable)

Tim Cee January 19th, 2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 997311)
Tim -
Silly question, are you trying to edit HDV or AVCHD? HDV is handled pretty well by Vegas, AVCHD is so-so, and you really pay a huge price in the preview window, it's doable, but it reminds me of the early days of HDV when it was a PITA to edit in Vegas...

I only asked because you mentioned Canon and "tiny little LCD", and there are quite a few Canon AVCHD 'corders out there... (I shoot small Sonys, and the AVCHD is still clunky, but doable)

I am editing HDV shot on my Canon XHA1. I gave up on AVCHD back when there was no support or editing sollutions. So I guess I have to get used to the way Vegas preview window is?

Tim Cee January 23rd, 2009 11:52 AM

UPDATE: Thanks John and everybody else

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Estcourt (Post 997288)
Tim I undock my preview window and make it larger ie 779x438x32 and it looks very sharp.
I just went and checked what happens if I change my settings to good auto and the preview becomes more pixilated at that size.If I change back to good full, keeping the scale video checked, the window is very sharp, better than cameras lcd by far (if only the xh-a1 lcd was that good). this is with 50i footage converted to ciniform avi.
For your info i am using an intel q9300 overclocked to 2.9ghz and 4gb ddr.
graphics card is nvidia 8800gt (but vegas doesnt use graphics card for preview).
good luck sorry cant offer any more help.
john

Well, I managed to tweek things, that along with following John's preview window resizing advice finally gave me something I feel is as close as I will get to watching playback through Vegas as compared to what I see on my HDTV or the LCD screen of the camera. It is still not the quality playback I would assume is needed to propery edit but will have to make do for now.
I do have another quick question? When I drag the preview window down out of the docking location then finish with it, is there a quick one click way or shortcut key to return it back to it's docking location or does it have to be dragged back?
Thanks everybody for all the help on this......Tim

Mike Kujbida January 23rd, 2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Cee (Post 999709)
I do have another quick question? When I drag the preview window down out of the docking location then finish with it, is there a quick one click way or shortcut key to return it back to it's docking location or does it have to be dragged back?

Like any other window that you undock, it has to be dragged back to the appropriate location.

Tim Cee January 23rd, 2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 999730)
Like any other window that you undock, it has to be dragged back to the appropriate location.

Gotcha, Thanks Mike.

Jon McGuffin January 23rd, 2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Cee (Post 999732)
Gotcha, Thanks Mike.

Tim,

What 'settings' did you do to get the playback quality 'acceptable' ?

Jon

Edward Troxel January 23rd, 2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Cee (Post 999709)

You can set and save various screen layouts. So you could, for example, press Alt-D, 1 for your standard layout and then Alt-D, 2 for the layout where the preview window is moved to the other location. Look under View - Window Layouts.

Tim Cee January 23rd, 2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 999745)
You can set and save various screen layouts. So you could, for example, press Alt-D, 1 for your standard layout and then Alt-D, 2 for the layout where the preview window is moved to the other location. Look under View - Window Layouts.

Thank You Sir, I will do that now.

Michael Hutson January 23rd, 2009 06:19 PM

Tim,

I recommend you take a look at the manual....Not the paper one that came with the program but the pdf file....360+ page one. Look under advanced editing(if I remember correctly) I talks of ways for better viewing....I believe prerendering is involved......but if you want that "perfect" display, check it out.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Tim Cee January 24th, 2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hutson (Post 999934)
Tim,

I recommend you take a look at the manual....Not the paper one that came with the program but the pdf file....360+ page one. Look under advanced editing(if I remember correctly) I talks of ways for better viewing....I believe prerendering is involved......but if you want that "perfect" display, check it out.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Thanks Michael, My PDF manual is 428 pages, the info you referred to is in Chapter 19 titled Previewing and Analyzing Video. I have read that a few times prior to seeking help but I seem to have struggles with this particular issue. My experience in Video from shooting to delivering a finshed Video, and every step between, is limited as I am new to it all. I love challenges and this is surely a huge one with a steep learning curve for me but like all things, in time I will learn. Thanks for the heads up. Also, Thanks again to everybody for the help.

Bryan Daugherty January 25th, 2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hutson (Post 999934)
...I believe prerendering is involved....

I use the prerendering option on rare occasion when I am keyframing complicated edits or critical edits especially when those edits occur over short periods of time(line). It is helpful to "preview" your edited piece in the timeline in case you need to adjust something, just make sure to clean up your prerenders regularly or they will eat a lot of HDD.

David Rocchio January 25th, 2009 08:44 AM

I agree ,the preview monitor in Vegas has not looked sharp for a cou[ple of releases now, same footage in other programs looks sharper than vegas. I dont believe this effects the rendered project, but kind of tuff to know what you really have. When you add the fx sharpness filter in vegas and have it set to zero , seems to bring the footage back to normal.