DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Gutted! Excalibur problem already - Resolved (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/143109-gutted-excalibur-problem-already-resolved.html)

Ian Stark February 5th, 2009 03:49 AM

Gutted! Excalibur problem already - Resolved

I just sat down with a nice cup of tea ready to spend an hour or so learning the ins and outs of Excalibur. How disappointing to get the following message when trying to run the Excalibur script for the first time:

>>>An error occurred during execution of the script.

Error 0x80131600 (message missing)

System.ApplicationException: Failed to create instance of main class: 'EntryPoint'.
at Sony.Vegas.ScriptHost.ScriptManager.Run(Assembly asm, String className, String methodName)
at Sony.Vegas.ScriptHost.PrecompiledScriptManager.Run()
at Sony.Vegas.ScriptHost.RunScript(Boolean fCompileOnly)<<<

I have trawled the JetDV forum and only found one instance of this issue, but the resolution was to enter a registration code on the Excalibur tab. Sadly I don't even have the Excalibur tab so that doesn't help me!

In advance of America waking up this morning, has anyone else had (and ideally resolved) this issue? I'd love to sort it out before my tea gets cold ;-)

Thanks.

EDIT: System specs - Vegas 8.0c under XP Pro SP2 with .net 3, v6.05 of Excalibur.

Additional thoughts: I did run the demo many months ago but subsequently uninstalled it. Also, my My Documents folder is not on the C: drive - don't know if that has any bearing? It has all installed OK. Out of interest, can the default install directory be changed from My Documents to something else?

Ian Stark February 5th, 2009 04:40 AM

Solved

Aha. Excalibur 6 needs to be run from View/Extensions, not from Tools/Scripting/Run Scripts.

It's clear when you read the manual but I wonder if it would be a good idea to make it more prominent in the web blurb (maybe the FAQ?) for cocky people like me who rarely read manuals, especially pdf ones.

Also, a minor point, the FAQ (at least on the DJ site) refers to Excalibur 4 in the 'where can I get help' question.

Anyway, glad to get it working.

Edward Troxel February 5th, 2009 07:23 AM

Well... there *IS* a video in the digital juice e-mail that shows that. :-)

Someone else mentioned having problems locating how to find it as well. I sent Digital Juice an addendum they could add to the outgoing e-mails:

Quote:

Excalibur 6 and Project Inspector can be found in Vegas Pro 8 by going to View - Extensions. Auto Save can be found in Vegas Pro 8 by going to Tools - Extensions. Excalibur 5.5 can be found in Vegas 6/7 by going to Tools - Scripting.
Coming from standard scripts I can see where the instinct is to continue looking under Tools - Scripting. Custom Commands are a different animal, though. I, personally, love how it's always docked and simply ready anytime you are.

Ian Stark February 5th, 2009 07:32 AM

Don't get me wrong - I think it's great having it permanently under a tab. Much friendlier. And it was indeed the video on the DJ site that pointed me to View/Extensions!

I think it was, as you say, a case of instinctively going to the scripting menu, coupled with the fact that the Excalibur tools were listed there. Bit of a curve ball, but I got there in the end.

Thanks Edward. Great set of tools.

Edward Troxel February 5th, 2009 07:51 AM

If only Excalibur 6 is installed, there should be NO Excalibur entries under Tools - Scripting. There was, briefly, an Excalibur 5.6 version derived from the current 5.5 version in Vegas 6/7 which was recompiled to work under Vegas Pro 8 which did show up there. It was still a standard script, though, and was only a stop-gap measure until Excalibur 6 was finished. Under Vegas Pro 8 if only Excalibur 6 is installed, all Excalibur options will only be found under View - Extensions.

Since you mentioned seeing items under Tools - Scripting, look for this folder:
{My Documents}/Vegas Script Menu/Excalibur5

Does that folder exist? If yes, you can simply delete that folder (I'd actually just move it somewhere first) and anything related to Excalibur listed under Tools - Scripting should go away.

Mike Kujbida February 5th, 2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1006898)
Aha. Excalibur 6 needs to be run from View/Extensions, not from Tools/Scripting/Run Scripts.
It's clear when you read the manual ...

Ian, I have to (somewhat sheepishly) admit that I did the same thing last night after I installed Excalibur.
After all, real men don't read manuals, right?
Wrong!!!
One quick look at the manual got me straightened out very quickly.
This is why we're still getting posts from people asking why they can't see video on the preview monitor in Vegas Pro 8.0c when it plays in the Trimmer.
They didn't bother to read the readme file that Sony so thoughtfully provides :-)

Now it's time to start playing and see what great and wonderful tools Edward has come up with to make my editing life easier.

Ian Stark February 5th, 2009 08:32 AM

Sorry, I'm confusing the issue -what I meant was that I can (obviously) access the Excalibur directory from the run scripts menu but that's when I (again obviously) get the error message. I didn't mean to imply that the Excalibur tools were menu items.

Sorry to waste your time, Edward.

Ian Stark February 5th, 2009 08:36 AM

Glad I'm not alone - thanks for making me feel a little better!

Edward Troxel February 5th, 2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1006969)
Sorry to waste your time, Edward.

Not a waste of time at all. But you are correct that you can browse to the install folder by choosing the "Run Script" option. In older versions of Vegas, Excalibur shows up as a new entry in the Scripts menu list just like it now shows up in the View - Extensions list in Vegas Pro 8. That's what I though you may have been seeing.