DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   magic bullet looks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/143378-magic-bullet-looks.html)

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 12:02 AM

magic bullet looks

I have been trying to download the trial for MBL, and I cant get one to work. I thought the latest version was compatible with vegas? even when I download quick looks, it installs, but there is nothing in vegas but the title "magic bullet quick looks", when I add that to a shot, it wont let me do anything, it just has a blank screen, and a red x across the footage.

any ideas?

also, I am late to the game when it comes to MBL, I had vegas 7, now have 8, I probably dont qualify for the "upgrade" price, or do I?

thanks.

Ian Stark February 9th, 2009 02:47 AM

Ian, I would think that the fact that it is showing up in Vegas at all suggests you are installing the correct version.

Just to understand what's happening, you are able to select Looks from the FX choices and add it to an event or track, right? But you then can't access Looks itself? Does it show up in your effects chain? If so, can you see it in the Video Event FX or Video Track FX Tabs (you should be seeing a dark panel with the words Options. . ., Edit. . . and Assume Linear Gamma - nothing else appears until you hit edit and select a preset Look, or build your own).

If you're not getting this far, I'm wondering whether you have a video card that isn't supported by Looks. It should be the case that if you don't have the required specs you can't even install Looks but this should be the first thing you check.

Here's a link to the system requirements for Looks: Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Looks 1.2 - Plugin Compatibility

After that, the only thing I can think of is that your timeline cursor is not over an event when you are selecting Looks so it can't generate a frame to work from. That would only be the case if you were applying Looks at track level, though, and you should be getting a message to that effect. I'm guessing that you aren't getting any messages otherwise you'd have mentioned them.

Re the upgrade, if you have Vegas 7 with Looks then you are entitled to the upgrade price (according to this Red Giant Software: Store - Buyers Guide -). You'll probably have to quote your Vegas 7 serial number.

Hugh Mobley February 9th, 2009 07:16 AM

you need to check your video card, MB only works with certain cards, MB works off the ram on your card, the more the better, I have 500 mb I don't think its enough, I am using a Radeon 3850 with 500 mb ram, I don't like it.

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 08:21 AM

ok, then it must be something I am not seeing. it installs, and adds to the FX chain, there is a dark banner across the top of the FX window with the words register, apply look and assume linear gamma, but no edit, or options. I dont see how I could be doing it wrong (im sure its me though).

as for my video card I have the asus eah4850 1gb, so I THINK I am allright as far as that goes, but I will check the compatibility list.

Ian Stark February 9th, 2009 08:29 AM

To start with, I suspect you are looking at QuickLooks, in which case you can't edit the Looks, just apply a preset.

That ASUS card is based on a ATI Radeon, right? This is what Red Giant has to say:

>>>For ATI cards, we require a 9600 XT or greater, or an X series card starting with the X700 series. Cards with greater model numbers and at least 128 MB of RAM can run the Looks engine.<<<

Whether your card is one of those I have NO idea! Maybe check with Red Giant? Sounds like you have sufficient RAM! I have 768Mb and it works fine.

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 08:54 AM

man, I hope its not the card!

I just tried MBL on vegas 7 with my laptop, and it worked fine (and its a CRAPPY laptop), so its something on this end. I am gonna call red giant today and see whats what.

thanks for the help.

Ian Stark February 9th, 2009 09:05 AM

Good luck, Ian. Hope you get it sorted. If you get a chance, maybe you could report back?

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 09:07 AM

I am off to a shoot now, but as soon as I figure it out, I will let you know.

I dont think its the card, its at the top of the list on asus' website, and it cost me enough...but who knows.....

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2009 09:37 AM

Ian, I think you are not clicking on something you need to click on.

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 10:06 AM

hahaha, yeah, I am sure thats the case, I just dont see what I am not clicking on (obviously)....I am determined to get it sorted out, i will not let this defeat me!

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 03:47 PM

cant get a hold of red giant, and still cant get MBL to open on my computer. everytime it starts to install it gives me this error warning:

"magic bullet looks vegas.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I am 99% sure its no the video card, its brand new, and above the requirements as far as I can tell. I am running a quad core system and 4gbs of ram, I should be good to go. seeing as I cant get a hold of red giant, anyone else have some ideas for me?

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 04:09 PM

nevermind

just got a hold of red giant, he said they are having issues right now, so its not me!! sweet!

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2009 05:30 PM

Ian, as I am prone to do, I did not read your post carefully and didn't realize you hadn't even downloaded a good copy. Contact me via e-mail and I'll send you the demo version, which I kept a copy of. It's only 3.33MB. It should work fine.

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2009 07:30 PM

man, this sure seems like a hassle! I finally got through to red giant, the said something was wrong on their end, so tech support sent me a file to download. but it would appear that they sent me magic bullet movie looks, instead of magic bullet looks. then the confusion started between tech support and myself, he is referencing things that dont exsist, and wondering why I am being a pain, but not realizing he is the one who sent me the wrong file.....i need a beer.

Jeff Harper February 9th, 2009 08:15 PM

Ian, it is obvious why my e-mails did not go through. It had to be because the attachment was an executable file. If I had changed the extension it would have been fine, and then you would have re-labeled it .exe and been off to the races. Mystery solved.