DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rotoscoping in Vegas 9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/144398-rotoscoping-vegas-9-a.html)

Jeb Miller February 22nd, 2009 11:22 PM

Rotoscoping in Vegas 9

Is the Pro version the only one that supports rotoscoping?

...and is there a better recommendation than Vegas?

Edward Troxel February 23rd, 2009 08:27 AM

Vegas does not do rotoscoping - no matter what version you have. You might try Boris which will work as a plugin for Vegas. Or you could try After Effects and see if either of these do what you need.

Jeb Miller February 23rd, 2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1016825)
Vegas does not do rotoscoping - no matter what version you have. You might try Boris which will work as a plugin for Vegas. Or you could try After Effects and see if either of these do what you need.

I did find a tutorial for Rotoscoping in Vegas,
YouTube - Sony Vegas Tutorial - Rotoscoping
but it looks more like a workaround, and I couldnt sit through the whole thing because the instructor didnt particularly impress me.
Vegas is one of the software packages im looking at and it would be nice to be able to handle this effect even if I have to take a few extra steps (and call it something else).

Edward Troxel February 24th, 2009 08:10 AM

Ok... maybe a better way of phrasing it is that it doesn't have any built-in tools designed to do this. If you want to do things manually, there are LOTS of things that can be done. If you're only doing a very little, you can work around it. If you're going to be doing lots of it, I'd look for a program with built-in tools to do this.

Jeb Miller February 24th, 2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1017506)
If you want to do things manually, there are LOTS of things that can be done. If you're only doing a very little, you can work around it. If you're going to be doing lots of it, I'd look for a program with built-in tools to do this.

I fall into the occasional category, so I can live with that.
Does Vegas Platinum allow you to create masks that could be used to create a Rotoscope-like effect, or is masking a "Pro" feature?
Im open to any suggestions, thanks.

Edward Troxel February 24th, 2009 02:30 PM

You will have many more options with the Pro version. A couple things only in the pro version that could help:

1. Bezier Masking in the Pan/Crop tool
2. 3D Track Motion

Jeb Miller February 25th, 2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1017721)
You will have many more options with the Pro version. A couple things only in the pro version that could help:

1. Bezier Masking in the Pan/Crop tool
2. 3D Track Motion

Platimum doesnt have masking?
I had been using Ulead's Media Studio Pro (which is comparable pricewise to SV-Platinum) and those options have been available in their consumer versions, so im surprised Vegas would be holding out.

Edward Troxel February 25th, 2009 10:54 AM

I don't believe the movie studio versions have Bezier Masks in Pan/Crop. It does have the means of doing masking - just not that particular tool. There are some definite advantages to going with the pro version.