DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Why can't I split? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/144538-why-cant-i-split.html)

Norris Combs February 24th, 2009 04:00 PM

Why can't I split?

Sometimes when I hit "S", nothing happens. Other times, it works as intended. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

William James Ryan February 24th, 2009 04:25 PM

Select the clip?

Maybe I'm wrong, but try clicking on/highlighting the clip you want to split? I've had the marker over a clip right where I wanted to split it, but it wouldn't split because *tahdah* I hadn't officially selected it. Make sure the clip is purple, or whatever color clips turn when you select them, not white or clear.

Norris Combs February 24th, 2009 04:31 PM

But if you click on the clip to "select" it, then the marker moves. Normally I drag the marker (yellow triangle) to where I want to split, then hit "S". I've had to "select" the clip as you suggested, the marker moves to where I click. Then I had to re-drag the marker to the original location. Kinda tedious.

William James Ryan February 24th, 2009 04:40 PM

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. That's why I always double check that my clip is selected before I fine-tune where I want to split. And even if I forget, usually I've thought about where I want to split hard enough that if I have to go find that frame again, it only takes a fraction of the time.
I haven't found a shortcut around forgetfulness yet, but let me know if you have any success. =)

Curt Talbot February 24th, 2009 07:07 PM

Press the control key while selecting the clip to avoid moving the marker.

Edward Troxel February 24th, 2009 07:36 PM

Ok, here's how split works:

ONLY SELECTED events will be split. If you have an event selected and it is NOT under the cursor, NOTHING will be split.

If you have multiple items under the cursor and only some of them are selected, ONLY the selected ones will be split.

The one big exception, if NOTHING is selected, everything under the cursor will be split.

So you have a few options. CTRL-A to select everything or CTRL-SHIFT-A to deselect everything will allow EVERYTHING under the cursor to be split.

CTRL-Click a specific event will select that event and allow that one event to be selected and let it be split.

William James Ryan February 24th, 2009 09:05 PM

There it is, my shortcut around forgetfulness. Thanks for the tips, guys.

WjR

Dave Stern February 24th, 2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1017882)
Ok, here's how split works:

ONLY SELECTED events will be split. If you have an event selected and it is NOT under the cursor, NOTHING will be split.

If you have multiple items under the cursor and only some of them are selected, ONLY the selected ones will be split.

The one big exception, if NOTHING is selected, everything under the cursor will be split.

So you have a few options. CTRL-A to select everything or CTRL-SHIFT-A to deselect everything will allow EVERYTHING under the cursor to be split.

CTRL-Click a specific event will select that event and allow that one event to be selected and let it be split.

thanks, this was bugging me too, appreciate it!